Got any Advise Please? 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Tie Rods Shot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Got any Advise Please? 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Tie Rods Shot

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 08-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
j33p73
2008 JK Wrangler 

Got any Advise Please? 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Tie Rods Shot

Hi,
This is my first post here. Hopefully I'll have many more in the coming months.

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Saraha 4-door Unlimited. It has about 45k miles on it. At about 34,000 miles I had the tires replaced. I bought some p275 / 65 R18s. The stock tires on the Jeep before that were p255 / 70 R18s. These new ones rub the sway bars slightly when turning sharp left or right into parking spots or other places. No big deal I guess...

At the tire replacement about 10k miles ago I was told from the tire shop that my tie rod ends were nearly shot with too much play up and down. Now, at about 45k, I really need to do something about these. I have uploaded a short video on Vimeo to show the problem.

https://vimeo.com/71534062

I'm hoping that someone here can help me out with their expertise after watching the short video.

I'm looking to replace what's needed but I'm not sure exactly what else I might need besides tie rod ends and the Drag Link Outer Socket (?)

Any advise is super appreciated!

~Brian

j33p73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Unless there is actual up and down motion that looks side to side and is more or less normal. Actual loosens up and down or actual play side to side could be a problem. I am not able to see this in the video. Instead of just twisting the joint try to see if there is loosens in joint.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/sy...e-rod-ppm-8002

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
j33p73
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for replying. I can't quite tell if there is side to side play. I need to get it up on a lift to check. The last time I got my tires rotated the shop said they could not fully align the front end because the tie rods were loose. Not sure if that's true or not. Had never heard of that before.

Will report back tomorrow with my findings. Thanks!
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Helped a friend replace his drag link and tie-rod last night, he put in synergy stuff. Seems like very nice stuff.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

At 45k NORMAL miles, chances are the Ball Joints are defunct, not the tie-rod/Drag link joints-

Thats the main reason for alignment failure--Ball-Joints !

The Tie-rod/Drag link have free rotational movement, but SHOULDN"T have vertical/horizontal "SLOP"--

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

^ What JIMBO is saying...is what I tried to say.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Aw shucks RC, your descriptions are usually much clearer than mine !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
^ What JIMBO is saying...is what I tried to say.
JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33p73 View Post
Hi,
This is my first post here. Hopefully I'll have many more in the coming months.

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Saraha 4-door Unlimited. It has about 45k miles on it. At about 34,000 miles I had the tires replaced. I bought some p275 / 65 R18s. The stock tires on the Jeep before that were p255 / 70 R18s. These new ones rub the sway bars slightly when turning sharp left or right into parking spots or other places. No big deal I guess...

At the tire replacement about 10k miles ago I was told from the tire shop that my tie rod ends were nearly shot with too much play up and down. Now, at about 45k, I really need to do something about these. I have uploaded a short video on Vimeo to show the problem.

https://vimeo.com/71534062

I'm hoping that someone here can help me out with their expertise after watching the short video.

I'm looking to replace what's needed but I'm not sure exactly what else I might need besides tie rod ends and the Drag Link Outer Socket (?)

Any advise is super appreciated!

~Brian
I don't see anything wrong in the video. Being able to twist the joints is OK. They are designed to do that.

Grab each rod at the joint and try to move it vertically. There should be no movement up and down by hand. Now, if you squeeze them with pliers, they will show vertical movement, but a brand new joint will, too.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
mdcj7
Vendor
1981 CJ7 

The best way to check them is with two people one turning the steering wheel and the other under the jeep while the jeep is on the ground. If the tie rod moves first then the knuckle the ball joint needs to be replaced if they move together then they are fine.
81 cj7 258 HEI, MC2100,Clifford header,4WDH 4" lift, 33" tires, T-177, D300, 4:10 gears, aussie lockers, Toyota axles, Longfield 30 spline chromoly superaxles

2006 LJ 2 1/2" RC lift 32" tires 3:73 dana 44 rear 4.0 L 6speed trans,Volant CAI, Magnaflow cat back
Black Jeep Society #393
mdcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
j33p73
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. Shop was full today and wait was over an hour. Was going to have them check while up on the lift. But I will definitely do the side to side test with someone turning the steering wheel to check for movement.

Many thanks!
Unread 08-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #12
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Your tie-rod looks fine to me, but at 45k I bet your ball joints are toast.
Unread 08-03-2013, 03:37 AM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

The video you shot has too much movement to be of any help. Next time mount the camera stationary. That way we can actually see if something is moving the wrong way.

I found my front end problems similar to what mdcj7 said. Unless something is really shot and obvious then it takes two to find the problem. I had a friend start the Jeep while I was under the front looking and listing and feeling each component as he turned the wheels side to side.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
suspensionguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

The play in vid is normal.Even brand new ones will have that play.Only if tierod has side to side play and looks like ball is moving in and out of housing do you need to replace
suspensionguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
drag link , steering , tie rods , wrangler steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.