Gopro Jeep Mounts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Gopro Jeep Mounts

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Digital504
2012 JK Wrangler 

Gopro Jeep Mounts

I've been using my Gopro's with my Jeep ever since I got last year and I've captured some pretty crazy drivers and things along the way. My first version of the mount looked like this

This one worked good but it really stood out and I was always worried about it coming loose when going 70mph+ on the freeway. So I upgraded the front to a blackbox camera CR500 HD which is mounted inside the Jeep so I decided to move the gopro camera to the rear view.

So having the new blackbox camera running all the time I had to figure out how to mount the gopro to the rear of the Jeep. This was my first idea

This one didn't work since it used the gopro auto suction cup mount and it gave a great view looking down but wasn't totally secure. So I moved it to this mount using the same mounting gear as I did with the front

This one worked good and have a more secure clamp mount the rear tow hook. Gave a good point of view as well but still was a pain to take off and on and the way it stuck out made me a little nervous going really fast on the freeway that it would eventually come lose or fall off so I wanted to make something more secure. Plus the video would be a little more shaky having such a longer arm.

So last night taking some new parts I bought I put together this mount -

Using the same clamp that I now reversed so it was more secure and used a shorter metal arm and metal mount system that I still mount to the bottom tow hook but when locked its totally solid. No movement at all and I'm not worried at all now that it will fall off. Being lower now I was worried the video would not be as good but I shot some driving to work today and it works great. Still plenty clear to catch bad drivers or anything happening behind me.

Here is a video from this new mount from this morning drive into work - (this one isn't full 1080P on youtube but its shot that way)

Once parked I leave the clamped locked in and detach the arm only to safe keeping which is so much faster when de-mounting and re-attaching when ready to go.

This type of setup works for day to day driving but I don't think it would work for off road use since its too low and may get hid on some serious rocks but still gives a good point of view in a secure way. Any questions let me know

Digital504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Not to sound rude or condescending but why do you do this? Just to catch a few crazy drivers? Do you rewatch all the footage from your daily drive in?

Mounts looks cool, the back one has me worried about how low it is but the view from it was kind of cool. I would think a shorter arm to bring it back closer to the bumper would be a better idea. I'd probably knock that off back out of my driveway.

Which gopro do you have? I have been trying to decide what I want to get. I have been looking at the gopro, jvc adixxion, and contour. Everytime I think I have made my mind up I read a new review that changes my mind. I think I am leaning towards the adixxion at this time.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Digital504
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
Not to sound rude or condescending but why do you do this? Just to catch a few crazy drivers? Do you rewatch all the footage from your daily drive in?

Mounts looks cool, the back one has me worried about how low it is but the view from it was kind of cool. I would think a shorter arm to bring it back closer to the bumper would be a better idea. I'd probably knock that off back out of my driveway.

Which gopro do you have? I have been trying to decide what I want to get. I have been looking at the gopro, jvc adixxion, and contour. Everytime I think I have made my mind up I read a new review that changes my mind. I think I am leaning towards the adixxion at this time.
No the video rolls when I drive mostly downtown to work and I don't go back to the footage unless something happens. It might be different where you are but we have some pretty terrible drivers in downtown Cleveland. Hit and run, road rage, tons of stuff. It may not capture things every day but if something does happen I would rather have video in case I need it. It may look low but the 180 view of the gopro captures plenty and the Jeep in general is high enough that I'm not worried at all it would hit anything.

I use the older Hero2, I plan to get the Hero3 at some point but I want to make sure all the firmware issues they have are fixed.
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

I guess we don't have a big problem with hit and runs. Lots of terrible drivers. My wife got rear-ended (bumped) by a lady trying to eat a bowl of cereal while driving in a snow storm. Messed up her car but our jeep didn't even suffer a scratch.

The firmware issues is what has turned me off of the gopro, I have known two people now that had to take brand new units back.

I go in and out of a few really deep entries and when I had a 2.5" lift and 33's I would occasionally drag my hitch (5" drop).

Mounting in the spare would make it less conspicuous, if that matters. But it looks like you cover your spare so that wouldn't work. I did think the view from your back one looked cool though.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'll snap a pic when I get off work but I've got mine mounted above the windshield with the 3m curved one that came with my hero 1. Actually works great and captures the front of my Jeep. Haven't had it on for off road yet but I like the birds eye view of my driveway anyways lol
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

GoPro cameras are a blast to use but why did you go to all the trouble and expense mounting it with all those arms? Is there a reason you didn’t use what’s available from GoPro and keep the mounting short and sweet? The further away the camera is mounted from the base the more unwanted movement you’ll get.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Digital504
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
GoPro cameras are a blast to use but why did you go to all the trouble and expense mounting it with all those arms? Is there a reason you didn’t use what’s available from GoPro and keep the mounting short and sweet? The further away the camera is mounted from the base the more unwanted movement you’ll get.
I had all the arms and gear anyway since I'm a photographer. Nothing extra was spent just wanted a good way to use my gopro with my Jeep and not use the plastic suction cup mount.
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

FWIW, I've had the Hero3 Silver edition since EJS this year. I don't experience the s/w glitches that others keep talking about. However, for whatever reason, I noticed that most the complaints/issues are from the Hero3 Black edition. Just an observation..
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Works like a charm, no camera shake and gives a nice wide view of the trail and everything it surrounds! Would like to upgrade from the first gen hero though..

img_20130713_180219.jpg
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital504 View Post
I had all the arms and gear anyway since I'm a photographer. Nothing extra was spent just wanted a good way to use my gopro with my Jeep and not use the plastic suction cup mount.
Well I agree with you on the part about trusting the suction cup mounts for outside the Jeep but GoPro has all kinds of other ways to mount it besides the huge suction cup of theirs. For instance they have the small sticky base plates that come with flat bottoms and curved bottoms as well. They even have mounts for tubing that fit a variety of sizes.

Best to mount the cameras as close to a solid mount as possible to eliminate camera shake. Anyhow these GoPro cameras are a blast no matter what model you have so I know you’re enjoying yours however you’ve got it mounted.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have never had the problem with the suction cup, and you can always tether the case to the Jeep.

I would ditch that dive housing and use the standard one for the Jeep. Underwater the dive housing's port is needed to keep everything clear, but on mine at least, it seems that if I use it out of the water it doesn't look right.

I'd actually love to start using mine for the drive into and from work as well. The cops down here are also some of the dumbest drivers we have.
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.