gonna buy Rubicon, Cant decide new or used, 2 door or 4 door. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > gonna buy Rubicon, Cant decide new or used, 2 door or 4 door.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
jcole
2008 JK Wrangler 

gonna buy Rubicon, Cant decide new or used, 2 door or 4 door.

Dilemma: I'm buying a new or used 2 door or 4 door JK Rubicon.

I cant decide whether I should go with the 2 door or 4 door.
I can't decide whether I should go new or used.

I have around $17,500 cash as a down payment.

Used will cost somewhere just under $25,000 (Why are Jeep Wranglers cheaper in Canada even in Canadian currency ? Compare Vancouver to Seattle craigslist. Weird.)
It'll have around 50,000km and a year or two left on warranty. Financing the remainder will be: ~ 300 monthly payment for 36 months, paying $1202 in interest @ 8% interest rate. Total amount financed: $9380 after tax and interest etc.

New will cost around 34,000, 0 miles, and might even have the lifetime powertrain warranty (LOL if Chrysler/Jeep exists for a lifetime). Payments would be about $370 a month, over 60 months. Total interest paid: $1553 @ 2.9%, Total amount financed after tax and interest: $20580

So, the question comes down to, is a new vehicle with lifetime warranty worth roughly $11000 to you ? After 5 years, which will have more equity ?

Now the 2 door vs 4 door thing: I do a lot of camping (4 door is better, more storage plus you can sleep in it with comfort) but I do a lot more Rock crawling/offroading/Exploration (2 door is better, due to shorter wheelbase, almost 2 feet).
4 door holds it's value better, and looks cooler. Plus 4 doors off, with the entire top off looks neat. Cruising to the beach with the tunes going in a 4 door suv convertible is very appealing to me.
2 door gets slightly better gas mileage.

I'm starting to think the 4 door would be more suitable, even if it's worth a couple thousand extra.

Lastly, I know the JK platform wont be getting any HUGE changes in the next few years, but anyone have any speculation about maybe a turbo diesel motor coming to north America or something similar coming out for the 2011 or later models that might have me regretting getting an 09 or 2010 model ?

jcole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
08BlueSahara
2008 JK Wrangler 

2 - Door new - Color = Blue
08BlueSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
alaskanthunder
2007 JK Wrangler 

New... in this market right now. Better deals.
Unread 01-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
SigMtnMan
2011 JK Wrangler 

If you are considering a four door, go ahead and do it. It is expensive to add two more doors down the road.
Unread 01-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
jjg214
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Id say 2 door, used but taken care of.

detours backbone system for sale
jjg214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
jeepguy1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a 4 door because I have a wife and 3 kids. 2 door = not enough room. I would of preferd the 2 door, but thats just my opinion.
jeepguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
JkRyder
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcole View Post

Used will cost somewhere just under $25,000 (Why are Jeep Wranglers cheaper in Canada even in Canadian currency ? Compare Vancouver to Seattle craigslist. Weird.)
It'll have around 50,000km and a year or two left on warranty. Financing the remainder will be: ~ 300 monthly payment for 36 months, paying $1202 in interest @ 8% interest rate. Total amount financed: $9380 after tax and interest etc.

New will cost around 34,000, 0 miles, and might even have the lifetime powertrain warranty (LOL if Chrysler/Jeep exists for a lifetime). Payments would be about $370 a month, over 60 months. Total interest paid: $1553 @ 2.9%, Total amount financed after tax and interest: $20580

So, the question comes down to, is a new vehicle with lifetime warranty worth roughly $11000 to you ? After 5 years, which will have more equity ?

Now the 2 door vs 4 door thing: I do a lot of camping (4 door is better, more storage plus you can sleep in it with comfort) but I do a lot more Rock crawling/offroading/Exploration (2 door is better, due to shorter wheelbase, almost 2 feet).
4 door holds it's value better, and looks cooler. Plus 4 doors off, with the entire top off looks neat. Cruising to the beach with the tunes going in a 4 door suv convertible is very appealing to me.

I'm starting to think the 4 door would be more suitable, even if it's worth a couple thousand extra.

Lastly, I know the JK platform wont be getting any HUGE changes in the next few years, but anyone have any speculation about maybe a turbo diesel motor coming to north America or something similar coming out for the 2011 or later models that might have me regretting getting an 09 or 2010 model ?
hey man im in langley, and i gotta 4 door. Dont have kids, or wife, im 21. I abolsutley love it ( other the leak i just found out about) But I can easily take 2 buds, all our camping gear, extra tools, 3 big jerry cans. Since your from around here, you obviulsy know harrison. We just did the harrison east to boston bar in my jeep, not one problem, and room was awesome with all our stuff. Im going to big whtie end of the month again with myself and 2 friends, all our snow boarding gear for 4 days, and ill have enough room. Anymore questions just ask.
JkRyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
jcole
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JkRyder View Post
hey man im in langley, and i gotta 4 door. Dont have kids, or wife, im 21. I abolsutley love it ( other the leak i just found out about) But I can easily take 2 buds, all our camping gear, extra tools, 3 big jerry cans. Since your from around here, you obviulsy know harrison. We just did the harrison east to boston bar in my jeep, not one problem, and room was awesome with all our stuff. Im going to big whtie end of the month again with myself and 2 friends, all our snow boarding gear for 4 days, and ill have enough room. Anymore questions just ask.
Yeah my father bought one, did a 3" lift and 33" tires. When you fold down the rear seats you pretty much end up with a pickup truck bed. I'm 6'2" and I can lay down in the back and almost stretch out. We all went up to Sunrise lake awhile back, our entire group had trouble with the v-rock except Dad's rubicon, which he pretty much drove up while sipping coffee.
jcole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
muttytruckster
2007 JK Wrangler 

One of your questions was is it worth it to have the powertrain warranty for 11k?
First I am not positive but I could of swarn that 2009 was the last for the lifetime powertrain warranty for the JK. Not sure, you might what to confirm that.
Second do you see yourself with damage or breakage over the time you have the vehicle to equal 11k?
I mean you could probably put a D60 front locked and D60 rear locked, and still have lots of cash left over from that 11k.(Each axle locker =$2000ish for a total of $4000 thus leaving you with $7000k) Hell you can do ALOT for that amount.
I personaly bought a new 4 door jk rubicon and love it, HOWEVER I will NEVER buy a new vehicle again. The warranty and service maintance agreements are just bulls*it. UNLESS you get them for free, like the powertrain. After 36k is on your new JK then you will start to get really annoyed with the dealer about what is and isn't covered, not to mention if there is any deductible.
For me get a 4 door rubicon USED!!! and save your money for mods. I would sure hate to piss away that kind of money again as you will kind of do that in the way of interest and vehicle depreciation. We are paying off our JK next month 3.5 years early, THEN the MODS BEGIN!!
Just my 2 cents. I just feel strongly about it, because if it was used and not a NEW vehicle I wouldn't of been so resistant to do the fun mods, like lifts.
muttytruckster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
JkRyder
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah my father bought one, did a 3" lift and 33" tires. When you fold down the rear seats you pretty much end up with a pickup truck bed. I'm 6'2" and I can lay down in the back and almost stretch out. We all went up to Sunrise lake awhile back, our entire group had trouble with the v-rock except Dad's rubicon, which he pretty much drove up while sipping coffee.
V rock nice. Ya we were also up on the hot springs on east side, i love harrison. ( i gotta 2.5 lift and 33's ) Since you just said your dad walked up it and you can lay nice in the back ( which i know cuz i sleep in there camping ) Why not be the decdiding factor?
JkRyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
AFhockey31
2009 JK Wrangler 

What im finding is with my lifetime warranty is this...

Do you plan on modding the jeep at all? Lift, gears etc?

The only thing that WILL be covered under my lifetime is my engine from now on. Ive changed out so much that its pointless.

While yes, I do have lifetime on the heart of the Jeep, the rest is a moot point.

dont let that stop you from making a decision on what to get.

2009 Wrangler. XRC 10 winch
RE 3.5" basic lift. Poison Spyder Rockbrawler bumper
35x12.5 KM2. Poison Spyder Rockerknockers
Crager soft 8's. PS diff and evap skids
Bilstein 5100's. Light force 170's
KC Slimlights
AFhockey31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
ArmyFireFighter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I love my four door, they lok like spec ops humvvee's rolling around in combat. All it needs is a MK-19 and a 50 Cal...
ArmyFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

'07 2DR Wrangler, White, meet half way, $20k.

LOL. I may have to do that soon if I don't get a better job
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #14
Intrepid4576
2009 JK Wrangler 

i have a 2 dr rubi that i bought new with the lifetime pwr train 09

if i could do it all over? i would have bought a used 4 door (only if i could have had it at a decent price) most used jks atm seem to sell for alot still.

if i couldnt find a good used one for a good price i would have bought a new 4dr

im very sad about having a 2dr 85% of the time the other 15% of the time im off roading and the 2dr is better :P

now that ive had it awhile i think i also would have went for x or sahara instead of a rubi because of the price differance but idk ;/ just a thought i have

but if this is going to be used for friends / family hauling i cant say enough about the 4dr if its mainly just u and 1 other person 2dr should be ok

also i would wait for the pennastar engine if i was you no doubt i would...they announced it after i bought mine ;(

Last edited by Intrepid4576; 01-14-2010 at 09:19 PM..
Intrepid4576 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #15
32oz

If you can find a new 09 you should be able to get it for not much more than your 17,500 down payment. I've seen them in Colorado as low as 18,500, although that was a few months ago, i don't know if any are left.
32oz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.