Getting ready for first-time off-road -- newbie advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Getting ready for first-time off-road -- newbie advice

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
LoneWolf
2009 JK Wrangler 

Getting ready for first-time off-road -- newbie advice

The family and I are planning a camping trip with my in-laws around the first full week of July in Arkansas. While we're there, we're tentatively planning to go check out Superlift ORV Park near Hot Springs.

This will be my first time putting the JK's 4WD system to use, so I'd appreciate some advice from someone who's been there regarding taking a stock JKX for a little walk in the woods. (Everything I saw on park trips via a forum search looked like folks taking modified rigs. I'm running stock tires and suspension.)

I figure since I won't know what the heck I'm doing and we'll be alone, we'll stick to the one- and two-diamond trails since the park website says a stocker should handle those trails without difficulty. (Is this true, or just good PR?)

Thanks in advance!

Unread 06-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You'd be surprised how capable a stock jeep is. I wouldn't worry too much. Do the easy trails first, then as you get most confidence, work your way up. We had a stock JKU go on a trail ride with us and while it wasn't the most difficult trail, it was keeping up with our lifted TJs and JKs.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
rayder1

I'll let someone else give better details. When you are at public 4x4 parks.....the people who run the parks, post signs, give trail ratings etc , do so with ALL 4x4's in mind. Like Toyota pick ups and 4runnrs. Ford rangers, pickups, mom's Subaru etc.

You're in a Jeep. A two diamond trail or #2 rated trail will be a cake walk. You probably will find you won't even have to put it in 4WD.

Do start easy and don't engage 4WD for a while and see how far you can really get before you need it. You'll be surprised.

Now I'll leave room for others to chime in!!

Enjoy your trip!
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
NCSahara
2006 KJ Liberty 

I have to agree. In completly stock form our Jeeps can do stuff that would really suprise u. Make sure you have a good tow strap.
NCSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
VICTIM_OF_PAIN
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would put a skid on the evap canister for starters. If you haven't installed an aux transmission cooler yet, then keep it in 4-Low so you don't overheat the transmission fluid.

[B]Ex - 2001 Wrangler, 2" BB, 32" BGF AT's. JKS Quicker Disconnects, Oil Pan Skid, Steering Box Skid. Hard Top, Soft Top, Safari Top, Olympic Mountaineer Rack.[/B][/COLOR]

Current - 2008 Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon. Rock Krawler Stock Mod 2.5" lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-Windows, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Rugged Ridge E-Disco Skid, and a Skid Row Evap Canister Skid plate.

[B]It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool.... than to open it and remove all doubt[/B].
VICTIM_OF_PAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

Don't worry and you'll have a blast. when you get off road, turn off your traction control so you can get some wheel spin if needed. it will automatically turn off if you go to 4lo. if you get in any kind of loose terrain with it on, you'll feel like your bogging down but its the traction control you're fighting. sand especially. have fun!
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Never offroad alone, but if you must, let someone know where you are, and when you plan on returning...along with any other important info. I always recommend at a minimum water, a little chow, first aid kit.

And of course have a blast....
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
PhatBasturd
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ7 

The Hot Springs ORV park is pretty nice. Or at least it was 2 years ago.

This being your first time out with a stock rig - stick with the 1's & 2's like you planned.

Pay close attention to the trail markers as you are driving. Some of the trails intertwine and you might find yourself on something way more difficult than you were expecting (ask me how I know ). The map on their website is not to scale and some of those trails are closer to each other than they appear.

There should be plenty of people there that week who can help if you get in a bind. It's a small park so if you have to walk out as a last resort, not a big deal.

You can buy drinks, snacks, basic cookout stuff, oil and other fluids there if needed. Always cheaper of course to bring your own. Hot Springs is VERY close so not a big deal to run back to town if needed.

Other than the fact that it will probably be hotter than snot that week, you will probably have a blast and meet a lot of good people.
PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
LoneWolf
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips! (And keep 'em coming)

Victim, now you've got me worried. Will 4hi really lead to that much higher temps?

Capper, I'd never go alone if we weren't in what I presume will be a well-trafficked area. That's one reason I haven't taken her out before now: I don't know anyone around here who has a 4WD anything.

Phat,you raise a concern I had from looking at YouTube videos of the park. Just how well are the trails marked? I inherited a notoriously bad sense of direction. If I end up on a five trail, can I safely turn around, or am I doomed to beat up my rig trying to crawl out?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
VICTIM_OF_PAIN
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
Thanks for the tips! (And keep 'em coming)

Victim, now you've got me worried. Will 4hi really lead to that much higher temps?

Capper, I'd never go alone if we weren't in what I presume will be a well-trafficked area. That's one reason I haven't taken her out before now: I don't know anyone around here who has a 4WD anything.

Phat,you raise a concern I had from looking at YouTube videos of the park. Just how well are the trails marked? I inherited a notoriously bad sense of direction. If I end up on a five trail, can I safely turn around, or am I doomed to beat up my rig trying to crawl out?

Auto or manual? I would definitely keep an eye on it. I've seen the hot oil light on a friends rig after a few green runs. 4-low you don't have to worry about it.

[B]Ex - 2001 Wrangler, 2" BB, 32" BGF AT's. JKS Quicker Disconnects, Oil Pan Skid, Steering Box Skid. Hard Top, Soft Top, Safari Top, Olympic Mountaineer Rack.[/B][/COLOR]

Current - 2008 Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon. Rock Krawler Stock Mod 2.5" lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-Windows, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Rugged Ridge E-Disco Skid, and a Skid Row Evap Canister Skid plate.

[B]It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool.... than to open it and remove all doubt[/B].
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
LoneWolf
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTIM_OF_PAIN

Auto or manual? I would definitely keep an eye on it. I've seen the hot oil light on a friends rig after a few green runs. 4-low you don't have to worry about it.
It's an auto. That's incredible that such an ostensibly easy trail would tax it like that.

Unread 06-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

If in doubt keep it in 4 lo that way you'll go easy on your transmission. Have fun!
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
VICTIM_OF_PAIN
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
It's an auto. That's incredible that such an ostensibly easy trail would tax it like that.

Do a search on the forum on it, plenty of info. I just keep it in 4-low until I install an aux cooler.

Unread 06-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
CooterTKE
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have yet to have a hot oil issue in my auto so don't worry too much on easy stuff. Also just go put a dent or scratch in it now that way it won't hurt so bad when the trail does it for you.
CooterTKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #15
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

If you're worried about trans oil temp. You can pick up an Aux trans cooler for around $50. Install is super easy. Took me about 30 minutes or so. Probably a good idea if your rig older than a 2012. I believe all 2012s and newer already have an Aux collet installed
295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
janders82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.