Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Getting power back after installing bigger tires.

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  sieg 
#1 ·
I have recently put 33x13.50x18 tires on my Wrangler JK and I have noticed a significant loss of power from my Jeep. I would like to know if there are any inexpensive ways to help improve the power. I already installed a 3 inch cold air intake and I know I need to get new gears but I am looking for other methods as well. Any ideas would be appreciated.

P.S. I am hoping to keep from sacrificing my fuel economy any more as this is my everyday driver.

#2 ·
Well the cold air intake didn't do anything for ya.

Real power? RIPP kit or gears...

If you want your power back for 'cheap', put stock size tires back on. Sell new tires.

#4 ·
Yes sir! Not trying to be a dick, but anything else, you're just pissing your money away.

#7 ·
Regear. When you increased the tire size, you decreased the final gear ratio. The only way to correct that is to regear the axles to compensate. There's a great chart in the FAQ up top that will get you to the right gear set.

Don't worry about the mpg. If you don't go overboard and start running 4k rpms downt he highway, you will do fine.

#8 ·
Take the "cold air" intake off. It's robbing low end torque to turn the tires.

Sell the CAI and try to make $100 bucks off it.. then use that money as a down payment on a gear install. The only way to truly compensate for all that mass, weight, and diameter you've added is by using a different transmission or different axle gears. Axle gears are cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.