To get a jeep or not to get a jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > To get a jeep or not to get a jeep

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
oldschoolnewcj8
1982 CJ8 

To get a jeep or not to get a jeep

Well guys I'm debating selling my truck and getting a jeep jku. I want your opinion on if I should get it or not and I have a few questions about the dodges (or jeep or chrysler or whatever you want to call them). I have been into jeeps ever since I was little and I own a 82 jeep scrambler right now as a trail truck and love it. Unfortunately jeeps are nothing today compared to what they were back then in my opinion.

this is it, its sitting on 33in bfg km2's

my pros:
1. killer deal and its several years newer then my current vehicle
2. its in great condition overall as far as I know
3. endless customization
4. off-road capabilities
5. extended 100,000 mile warranty in one month

my cons/questions:
1.longevity/durability vs. high mileage
2.making the switch from v8 truck to v6 jeep
3.towing
4.power

First off let me start with my concerns. It is a 2007 jeep jk early model with 135,000 miles however my mother bought it off the lot brand new in 2006 so i know how hard all the miles have been.(actually it was one of the very first to be bought in central florida, ocala to be exact, everyone was always looking at us like we were crazy) My question is how this thing is going to hold up (engine, tranny, axles, suspension, etc.) because i plan on putting 80,000++ miles on it. The 135,000 miles have mostly been highway miles (if that makes a difference) since we live 45-50 minutes from town all put on by my mother who has never driven it hard. Also the thing only has 500 miles off road at the most, all put on by me lol. The reason I'm getting it is because my mother wants to get a new vehicle that gets that amazing gas mileage like a vw jetta so she's selling me her jeep for next to nothing to help me out as I go into college. Another thing is as of right now I own a 2000 f150 9in of lift, v8 5.4 liter, 4x4, 37x12.50s, 4.56 gears, and straight piped. It has power, its loud, tough, and big. im concerned i wont be able to make the switch seeing as how a jeep is the opposite of all that. another thing that keeps popping into my head is towing. I tow a lot as in fourwheelers, boats, and trailers and on the jeep manual it says something like only 4000lbs where i've towed 10,000+ lbs with my truck. My question would be is there any way to increase this granted it is a jeep and not a truck. Next is power which these jeeps have nothing of the sorts. when i drive it and get on it it sounds like the motor wants to blast out of the engine bay. So are there any options for major power increase taking into account the mileage and extended warranty? What i really want is the cummins 4bt conversion but im not much of a mechanic in those terms and the shop in tampa that does it charges 15-20 grand.

What i love about jeeps is the customization, which i have done on my truck but you can only go so far with a truck. with a jeep theres endless possibilities where you could pretty much build an entire jeep out of nothing with aftermarket parts online. The other thing i love about jeeps are there offroad capabilities of course. you can drive them offroad and not have to worry about breaking something (well hypothetically anyways, not sure about chrysler and mopar products these days). The biggest factor here is the extended 100,000 mile warranty which my mother is getting in one month regardless of me getting it or not. I'm not sure what all this would cover but im sure mostly everything. I guess I would have to ask what all is voided when i get a suspension lift and regear it.

Thanks for looking, some plans right away if i get it are going to be 4-6 in of lift with 35-38in tires on 20x12 or 20x14 wheels and of course a regear with a locker in the rear and then hopefully a ripp charger and exhaust in the near future.

oldschoolnewcj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Keep your truck. IMO your expectations for the JK are way off from reality even though the JK is the most capable Jeep off the showroom floor ever made.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
jchappy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yeah keep the truck or find a way to have both
MY NEW JEEP- 2011 JEEP JKUR, Body Armor front bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic winch line,XRC Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, Terafex 2.5in spring lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks,GY 315/70R17 Duratracs, 4.88 G2 gears, Cobra 75 CB

MY OLD JEEP-1999 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, 4" Pro Comp Lift, 33" BFG's, 8K winch, SYE, Viking soft top, onboard CO2 and all the recovery straps and equipment
jchappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just like jch says--keep the truck-

You wanna buy a 7 year old first year JKU/w over 100k miles and you're going to college--

Even if it was owned by a little 'ol lady from Pasadena--it's a money pit--just waiting !

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

Don't buy. Your vision of this jeep (loud, ridiculous power, towing) is so far away from reality that it would make ZERO sense for you to buy the jeep. Jeeps CAN tow 3500lbs, max. They're not tow rigs.
Monkeybomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

the 4bt will not pass smog. It will cost more than the Jeep and will make it a trailer rig.

It wont tow like your f150, nor would any other Jeep cj-jk EVER.

out of the box these new Jeeps run circles around anything Jeep ever made, since 1941. Each year has brought more ability better clearance. Look at the newest Rubicons, they could drag a older Cj through the rubicon. This is stock to stock.
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
oldschoolnewcj8
1982 CJ8 

to be honest i worded the beginning of my post wrong. Im pretty sure i'm going to do this deal, im just seeing if anyone has any tips that could help me with the list of cons. i know its not a towing machine however my truck is getting real close to 200,000 miles so i want to get it gone anyways before anything major goes. i only brought up towing because i was looking at a 21 foot center console boat however i'd rather get the jeep and get a smaller boat. I guess i shouldn't be to worried about the drivetrain because of the extended warranty however i know nothing about this warranty so if anyone has any info on it that would be helpfull. the only thing that really scares me is how i'll cope with that motor that i hate so much and how that motor would cope with 37s (power and mpg).
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
T00THD0C
2013 JK Wrangler 

First, get your priorities in order. Your main focus should be school right now. There will be lots of time later for whatever you want. Get the Jeep, leave it alone for now. It will be good for going back and forth to school. Don't trash it out by taking it out wheeling and tearing stuff up. Drive it easy and it will last, if you try to drive it like your truck you will destroy it. When you get out of school you can get another vehicle and do whatever you want to the Jeep.

And don't count on that warranty covering every little thing. Many people get a rude awakening when they find out what it doesn't cover. Good luck.
T00THD0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
oldschoolnewcj8
1982 CJ8 

@toothdoc i see what your saying but this is going to be a street queen for the most part. i have my 82 rambler that i rag out on the trails. i have the money to get it and put and lift wheels and tires on it after i sell my truck. i just hope i wont regret getting rid of the v8. yeah i dont know much about the extended warranty i'll have to look into it.
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Why did you ask for opinions ????

It seems like all the "NO BUY" advice means nothing--

You're gonna lift/retire/regear and drive every day to college !

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolnewcj8 View Post
Unfortunately jeeps are nothing today compared to what they were back then in my opinion.
As long as you compare it to your '82 and what Jeeps were like back in the day you'll never be happy with it so there's no need to waste your time and money. Find yourself another '82 for a DD.

If you can get past that issue then go for it.
Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.