Genesis Offroad JK dual battery install - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Genesis Offroad JK dual battery install

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 09-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #16
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdjeepguy View Post
Didn't you just state a cheaper alternative to this system? I'd just install a Diehard Platinum and not wheel alone.
Yes, it would be cheaper, but not better. And, at some time, the diehard will die! Odds are, two batteries won't die at the same time.

I just looked at your profile, you have:

Quote:
Tires
37x12.50 BFG KM2
Wheels
AEV Pintler Beadlock
Recovery
Warn 9.5ti
Armor
Savvy, AEV
Future Mods
Clayton Pro Series LA with Fab 9 Rear Axle
I can think of many options that were cheaper than the ones your chose, but you got them because they were what you wanted and thought was best for you at the time.

08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #17
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

Those of you that are looking for a dual battery solution will not be disappointed.
Dr.Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #18
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

I really like that setup - very slick.

Main reason for duals:
operational redundancy - much like a workstation computer is fine for some things - servers are more critical and thus protected from failures by redundancy (backup drives, RAID etc). This applies to a jeep in the tough world of off road and remote adventures - if you are never more than a days hike from service, or don't wheel with folks who rely on you to help not hinder the outing - you do not need redundancy near as much.
Second reason - maintaining voltage during a high draw situation such as winching or powering accessories.

When winching the draw is real high for a single battery. Not only will winch slow and weaken in a long pull - the cycles are brutal. And as voltage drops - the cables windings and brushes run hot. Many times a winch fails and the fault is laid at the winch - where the reality is it was operated at low voltage by a long pull with little rest - sometimes the ONLY option (don't stop to rest winch while vehicle is hanging by a "thread"!!!).

I had a single on a TJ - one outing I sat at top of tough hill with line ready - half of the 12 rig crew needed winch help. My stock battery toasted a week later from cycling too deeply. And the lower power at the winch became very noticeable.

Other reasons:
Protection from stranding.
Ability to run work lights on YOUR OWN rig from an isolated source if primary system fails.
"Critical" items like air compressor, cb radio, camp site electronics etc are removed from main battery draw.
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #19
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdjeepguy View Post
Didn't you just state a cheaper alternative to this system? I'd just install a Diehard Platinum and not wheel alone.
Okay so you and a buddy are wheeling - he gets broke and stuck and you work the winch but halfway out your winch fails and takes out the charging system due to the high draw and a blown alternator. Now both are stuck. How far to service?

The group I wheel with go out days away from help. I for one do NOT want to be the guy who isn't self sustaining and becomes a hindrance to THEIR adventure. Not fun letting friends down.
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #20
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Any thought to install a battery on the bumper next to the winch, didn't they do that back in the day?
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #21
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73azbronco View Post
Any thought to install a battery on the bumper next to the winch, didn't they do that back in the day?
Well yes "they" did. They also ran radiators with no pressure cap, leaded gasoline and carburetor, crank start and manual timing assist. And over the years what has been learned is priceless...

Not a good thing to have a battery on the front bumper. You DO drive on the road right? think of small fender bender spraying everything with acid... as well as a short and resultant spark right at the source of hydrogen gas. Even a mat or gel can explode in impact.
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #22
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Good point, my short term plan is a marine battery case in the back, take it out if needed. Not elegant, but provides a backup till the funds are saved for the full monty.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #23
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

The guys at Genesis just released a very detailed video highlighting all the features of their system.

Unread 11-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #24
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

What's that kit with batteries run you. My ARB fridge has made me require a jump in the dead heat of summer due to power needed to keep everything cool. This would be perfect
herculz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #25
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

Didn't you have a Benchmark System in before? I ask because I am contemplating getting the Genesis System and am curious if any of the mods form putting in the Benchmark affected how the Genesis install went. Thanks
'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #26
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

this is a nice system. I may have to look at this when I start the lighting toys. Thanx for posting it.
Unread 11-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #27
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculz View Post
What's that kit with batteries run you. My ARB fridge has made me require a jump in the dead heat of summer due to power needed to keep everything cool. This would be perfect
http://www.genesisoffroad.com/store/...ttery-Kit.html

At this time: $479.00 plus the batteries of your choice.
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #28
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
Didn't you have a Benchmark System in before? I ask because I am contemplating getting the Genesis System and am curious if any of the mods form putting in the Benchmark affected how the Genesis install went. Thanks
I did have the Benchmark kit. It was a simple swap over.
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #29
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
I did have the Benchmark kit. It was a simple swap over.
What made you decide to swap them?
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #30
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

A buddy wanted the Benchmark kit so I figured it was time to upgrade. Eventually ill be doing an LS swap and the benchmark kit takes up alot more space in the engine compartment that will need to be free for the LS

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.