Genesis Offroad JK dual battery install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Genesis Offroad JK dual battery install

ECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

Genesis Offroad JK dual battery install

It was time to upgrade the Jeeps batteries to keep up with all the add on accessories.

We went with Odyssey Batteries http://www.odysseybattery.com/

And the Battery tray is from Genesis Offroad http://www.genesisoffroad.com/store/...ttery-Kit.html

I will say this is the easiest Dual battery kit to install on the market.

From Genesis's website discussing the key features of the kit.

Here's how it works.

When both your batteries are fully charged at 13.2 volts, they are automatically connected and are charged at the same time.
When you park and turn off the engine, but continue to use accessories such as lights or the stereo or a CB, both batteries begin to drain down.
When your main cranking battery reaches 12.7 volts, the smart isolator separates the batteries, so that your cranking battery will have enough power to start the engine. The second battery continues to power your accessories for as long as it will last.
After you crank the vehicle, your main cranking battery will be charged up to 13. 2 volts first, and then the isolator will begin charging your accessory battery. By only charging one battery at a time, your alternator is protected from excessive strain.

What if your cranking battery is somehow drained down too low to be able to start the vehicle? We have a solution for that.

Press the Start Boost button and the isolator will connect both batteries together for 1 minute, acting like built-in jumper cables to jump start your engine off your accessory battery.
As long as the combined voltage of the 2 batteries is at least 12.7 volts, you'll be able to start your vehicle instead of being stranded with a dead battery!
The alternator will charge both batteries for 1 minute, then switches back over to automatic mode to reduce the strain on your alternator.
A remote status indicator light can be added on your dash to show you when the batteries are connected, indicating that they are both fully charged.

And now on to the install

Dr.Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

Unread 09-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks good. I've been searching for a good 2 battery setup. Thanks for the write up.
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

°ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Looks nice! I keep think that dual batteries will be my next upgrade, but other priorities keep coming up.

Whose isolator are you guys using in the kid?

Is the mounting tray available separately?

Since I just ordered another $1500 worth of parts, I'm considering just a mounting tray and another cheap auto battery running parallel with the factory battery, as a cheap way into more battery power until I want to spend the cash for a good isolator and battery batteries.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
Looks nice! I keep think that dual batteries will be my next upgrade, but other priorities keep coming up.

Whose isolator are you guys using in the kid?

Is the mounting tray available separately?

Since I just ordered another $1500 worth of parts, I'm considering just a mounting tray and another cheap auto battery running parallel with the factory battery, as a cheap way into more battery power until I want to spend the cash for a good isolator and battery batteries.
Genesis is using a Cole Hersee Smart Isolator pn#48525

http://www.colehersee.com/home/item/cat/211/48525/
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
rolandthegypsy
2008 JK Wrangler 

That's a nice setup. I am looking forward to installing a dual battery system.
rolandthegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

On the bottom of the to do list; but very nice write up and tutorial.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Great write-up and pics. I like the fact that you donít have to cut the OEM battery tray in halve and reuse it.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, another $500 gotta have it.... I need to stop looking at these threads.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

One thing that I missed is that if you have the 3.8 Genesis has the evap solenoid covered. I lengthened my harness but the offer an extension harness with OEM connectors making this 100% plug and play. Also if your running the OEM Air box you will need to cut and save a small portion off your factory battery tray.
Unread 09-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What's the point of dual batteries?
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

reserve for winching, backup power if one dies or is drained.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdjeepguy View Post
What's the point of dual batteries?
Sometimes I take my jeep way, way off road. Nothing dangerous, just off by myself. No cell phone towers, no stores, no roads, no other people in sight. I don't have a dual battery system yet, but I do carry a spare battery, belt, air compressor, tire plugs, drive shafts, tools, first aid kit, water, food, fuel, diff oil, engine oil, duct tape, tent. etc.

Having a battery go bad when you are out of cell phone range and 30 miles to the nearest inhabited place you know of is not really a fun thing to happen.
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

°ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #14
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb6420 View Post
I do carry a spare battery
Didn't you just state a cheaper alternative to this system? I'd just install a Diehard Platinum and not wheel alone.
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Dual batteries would allow to run your off-road light while work on buddies rig without having to run the engine and still know for sure it will start a few hours later.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.