General Maintenance Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > General Maintenance Questions

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 04-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
DickSnuffy
2010 JK Wrangler 

General Maintenance Questions

I have a 2010 JK with 43,000 miles on it. I purchased it from the dealership used with 7,000 miles on it. Since purchasing it, I have done no maintenance to it other than changing the oil at regular intervals. I contacted the dealership and asked them about it and they recommended that I get I believe either a 30,000 mile or 40,000 mile service for which they wanted around $400. That seems extremely pricey to me for what is basically fluid changes if I'm not mistaken. My question is what exactly you should do to maintain a JK, as far as maintenance and if i can do any of this myself. Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

DickSnuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
ncb

Follow the schedule on the owners manual. All of the fluid changes can be done in your garage.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

I would say oil. Transfer case. Both axles. There are plenty of great write ups and if you browse the sticky section you'll find a few. Also look up YouTube and google. And see if you can find some vids. I do my axles in under 30 minutes front and back
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
CoreyZ
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedatya View Post
I would say oil. Transfer case. Both axles. There are plenty of great write ups and if you browse the sticky section you'll find a few. Also look up YouTube and google. And see if you can find some vids. I do my axles in under 30 minutes front and back
This... and if you have an auto, consider draining and replacing the fluid. TBH, any time you buy a used auto, you should consider doing all of those just so you can begin with your own maintenance cycle.
Then start checking your bushings for wear, hoses too.
Spark plug wires, plugs themselves... etc
Colorado Jeep Club member #217
CoreyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

X2 on following the manual. Don't guess and take the "I would say" or I would do". Just follow the manual and you'll be fine. The schedule is there for a reason.
Unread 04-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
DickSnuffy
2010 JK Wrangler 

I was curious as to wether some shop oter than the dealer could be trusted to do the service as I don't really have all the time in the world, thoughts?
DickSnuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickSnuffy
I was curious as to wether some shop oter than the dealer could be trusted to do the service as I don't really have all the time in the world, thoughts?
Just avoid the Quick and Dirty oil change shops like Jiffy Lube and EZ Lube and such. Get referrals from other Jeep owners in your area.

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

4x4 shops would be a great place to start of you want a better chance at quality service. Lots in my area provide maintenance services and have decent prices.

Although a axle is usually $100 I can do both for that price.
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickSnuffy View Post
Changing the oil on these things is not difficult, particularly if you have any kind of lift on your jeep. Change the diff oil is ridiculously simple and quick. You'll spend more time on your iphone surfing the web while the fluids drain than you will actually turning a wrench or pouring.
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

I use a trusted tech around the corner from me. He's honest, knowledgeable and gets me in and out of the shop quickly.
Keep records and you'll be fine

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.