Gears and Tire size with Auto and 6 Speed - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Gears and Tire size with Auto and 6 Speed

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-24-2010, 07:54 AM   #16
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparToYou View Post
I would add another line at the bottom of your opening post for auto tranny with 5.38 gears. It is still only "acceptable" based on your chart, and I would agree with that. 5.38 gears are acceptable, but not great by any means. For performance gearing, or high altitude, in an auto tranny Jeep, you need lower gears than 5.38. 5.86 gears or 6.17 gears would be more appropriate for performance, and or high altitude use. Too bad they don't make 5.86 or 6.17 gears for our axles.

I live at 6000 feet elevation, at the base of a mountain that is 11,000 feet elevation, and I have 35" tires with 5.38 gears in my auto trans Rubi. Hate to say it, but it is still a dog. My Jeep downshifts just to make it over a freeway overpass. Another hundred horsepower under the hood would help.
That is what I was getting to with my last line, that even at 5.13's you are just starting to get to stock configuration... If people cant continue to read into the chart after all that explaining I did.... Well.... They might should just stay away from Jeeps altogether ... I was trying to teach people to read and understand that chart by typing out all of those sentences so that they can compare the two charts with my explanations. You can almost over gear a 6 speed before you have even gotten to the acceptable gearing for an auto.

Oh... And about this being a sticky... Its in the F.A.Q and that is in the process of becoming a refined sticky once JLC08JK gets it put together.

MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

great post
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had to dig it up. Needed it to show in my post so I could open it and text it to a friend.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #19
TomF
2010 JK Wrangler 

Excellent post!

Two variables worthy of note:

1. Actual tire diameter often varies from advertised diameter, and tire diameter changes with load and inflation level. So you need to measure for yourself - most accurate measurement is from ground to center of hub of mounted tire x2. Don't bother to measure the spare.

2. Personal preference. If crawl speed in reverse is more important to you than getting to work on time, you need to move up to the high blue and even into the white on chart .
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #20
greenfrj
2013 JK Wrangler 

Is there a chart for the JK's with the 3.6?
greenfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #21
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfrj View Post
Is there a chart for the JK's with the 3.6?
Here ya go:

http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Mechanical/gearratio.html

I won't go through all of the explanation that the OP did.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #22
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

JLC08JK,

The OP of this thread did a good job explaining how to read the chart. I know that there are a number of gear/tire threads in the sticky, but given the 1st post, this would be a good candidate for the FAQ sticky.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 11:42 PM   #23
Heat1995

Not the sharpest

Sorry guys but I need someone that is clearly more knowledgeable than myself to explain. If an auto tranny with 35's and 4.88's is a doable set up (close to stock)
and auto tranny with 5.13's has just gotten to a stock set up (the lower end of stock) which of the two is better? Close to stock or lower end of stock? Finally does a Dana 44 front and back have any impact at all?
Heat1995 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear chart , gear/tire chart , JK Wrangler , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.