Gearing input please - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Gearing input please

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #16
COStrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX
I'm afraid MOST of you newby's and old timers/w tunnel vision, put to much faith in graphs-without considering reality !

Graphs tell you the physical/mechanical equivalent of diff gears/tire size vs rpm, they don't point out the jeep weight/load/driving habits and PERSONNAL SATISFACTION of the driver

I've had 5.38 gears for over two years hiwy/off-road and my jeep is just a pleasure to drive/w good mileage and towing my trailer is a breeze-

Now I say this, because almost everyone is SCARED of the thought of 5.38s in the jeep---it's a foolish fear-

I can't really talk about the 2012+. but I address the 07/11-mainly auto tranny-- and larger tires, not 37" or larger-

JIMBO
That is why I am asking for in the seat feedback from those that have and even better if I can ride or drive a geared one first! You hit the nail on the head JIMBOX. The chart is just numbers- maybe no better than a starting point. Do all the math you want, but in the end those are just numbers. I'm heavy (weight), high (in altitude), run the steepest passes in North America, and I tow- 4.56 are out!

Now it's between 4.88 and 5.13

COStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #17
COStrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222

This is so true and why I have never went by graphs/charts. It’s a starting point if all this is new to people but should not be the deciding factor.
Dammit I didn't read your post before I responded. Well...at least we agree on that, and even the same phrases. LMAO
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #18
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I've also got manual 2012 rubicon with 3.5" lift, 35s, bumper, winch, Ursa Minor camper top (6" taller and a few hundred pounds). After my 3 week camping trip to UT/AZ/NV/CA I'm leaning toward 4.88 again now as well. I'll probably lose a little mileage (15-17 with this setup is surprisingly good!) but I only drive it 12 days a month when I'm home anyway. I didn't buy it for gas mileage. I just want to to still be comfortable cruising at 70-75. I regeared another rig from 4.10s to 4.88s and it felt really low at first, but performance was amazing. With only 33" tires it ran a little high on the rpms at 80 though. I never got better than 14mpg from it after that.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #19
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by COStrider

That is why I am asking for in the seat feedback from those that have and even better if I can ride or drive a geared one first! You hit the nail on the head JIMBOX. The chart is just numbers- maybe no better than a starting point. Do all the math you want, but in the end those are just numbers. I'm heavy (weight), high (in altitude), run the steepest passes in North America, and I tow- 4.56 are out!

Now it's between 4.88 and 5.13
I think 5.13 is too much for you.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #20
COStrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6

I think 5.13 is too much for you.
Indy/spyder6
I agree with you based on 35's but if I move to 36 or 37's it would be perfect. Trying to see into the future is difficult
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #21
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by COStrider

Indy/spyder6
I agree with you based on 35's but if I move to 36 or 37's it would be perfect. Trying to see into the future is difficult
5.13s if you forsee 37s then

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #22
COStrider

4.88 ordered

Thanks for all the input

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.