Gas tank overflow EVERY TIME when filling up?!? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Gas tank overflow EVERY TIME when filling up?!?

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 12-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #31
utlax18
2007 JK Wrangler 

Mine told me to pound sand!! I get the spit back only in cold weather...just started again last week. Mine is an 07 and missed the build date by a couple of months. A litany of issues with the JK ( and I don't hardcore off road) Wish I went with the FJ instead. Oh well..live and learn. All you can do is fill up slowly to prevent the spit back.

Good luck!

utlax18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #32
gonwhln
2007 JK Wrangler 

Filling up with the nozzle upside down works good.
Evo rear King Coilovers, Recon front King Coilovers, Rock Krawler all 8 control arms & links, CV driveshafts, removed rear sway bar, Custom skids, Viair OBA with dual compressors mounted behind tailights & 2gal tank, Warn M8000, Body Armor rear bumper and carrier w/custom rotopax, front Poison Spyder Brawler lite bumper, Herculined tub, Cobra 75wx cb, daystar switch panel, Hella lights, custom cut fenders, 17" black alloys w/ 35" treadwright Guard dogs, Gusseted and regeared to 5.13's, Teraflex drag link flip, cut and dieted, Benchmark HD oil pan, RK deep sump HD tranny pan.
gonwhln is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #33
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I started keeping track and found I have more problems at some gas stations than others. There is one gas station near my office that I cannot fill up at because the pump cuts off immediately no matter what I do. Generally, the older the pump is, the less problems I have. I had it spit back at me one time so hard that it soaked my pants from the waist all the way down my right leg. Needless to say, I never went back to that place again.

The problem is a combination of bad flapper in the neck and poor vent. Pumps that have a lower flow rate give less problems with my Jeep.
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #34
SirCody
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
This is a known issue with some 07/08 JKs, although my 10 also had the problem.

If you take it to the dealer, the dealer will want to replace the entire tank. Some out-of-warranty folks have had part of the cost covered by Chrysler, IIRC. If you search the forum here, you should find a few people's experience with it. Mine was still under the 3/36 warranty, so it was replaced with no hassle.

I don't know if there is a "homebrew" solution to the issue.
This is a Lifetime Replacement Chrysler is giving to anybody with this problem now or later. It is Not part of a Recall, but a Cost Covered TSB...Most TSBs will cost you if Jeep is out of warranty.
SirCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #35
Taguilar
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just wanted to give an update on my situation. After months of waiting on a new filler neck that the local delership offered me on a warranty recall, I finally got it in and installed. Expecting this to be the fix, I went down to the gas station to fill up. Low and behold......same exact thing happens. Gas pump clicks off after only 4-5 seconds of filling up. I immediately went back to the dealership to tell them the situation. The service manager asked for a mechanic to come up and talk this over. The mechanic said that it had to be the "anti-roll valve" on the gas tanks entry port (a valve that prevents gas from exiting the fuel tank if it were to ever roll over). He said it must be stuck since the filler neck is brand new. So I take his word for it and purchase a gas tank.......$240 dollars! Me and my friend who's a mechanic were able to switch out the old tank with the new in a couple of hours over the weekend. Excited for this to be the fix, I go down to the gas station to fill up and what happens? Same exact thing!!!!!! Gas pump shuts off every time after 4-5 seconds of filling.
I go one more time to the dealership demanding answers. The service manager, annoyed at me being there, tells me that the gas tank idea was just a suggestion and not a gauranteed fix. She said that if I wanted it fixed, that I would have to bring it in to have it diagnosed. OH! And that will be $90 dollars please!! I told her that I would not be spending any more money at her dealership ever again.
So in the end, I have a brand new filler neck, brand new gas tank, yet same issue as I had in the first place. Anyone have any success or fixes to this problem without spending tons of cash at the stealership?
Taguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #36
AveCat
MacGyver

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taguilar View Post
Just wanted to give an update on my situation. After months of waiting on a new filler neck that the local delership offered me on a warranty recall, I finally got it in and installed. Expecting this to be the fix, I went down to the gas station to fill up. Low and behold......same exact thing happens. Gas pump clicks off after only 4-5 seconds of filling up. I immediately went back to the dealership to tell them the situation. The service manager asked for a mechanic to come up and talk this over. The mechanic said that it had to be the "anti-roll valve" on the gas tanks entry port (a valve that prevents gas from exiting the fuel tank if it were to ever roll over). He said it must be stuck since the filler neck is brand new. So I take his word for it and purchase a gas tank.......$240 dollars! Me and my friend who's a mechanic were able to switch out the old tank with the new in a couple of hours over the weekend. Excited for this to be the fix, I go down to the gas station to fill up and what happens? Same exact thing!!!!!! Gas pump shuts off every time after 4-5 seconds of filling.
I go one more time to the dealership demanding answers. The service manager, annoyed at me being there, tells me that the gas tank idea was just a suggestion and not a gauranteed fix. She said that if I wanted it fixed, that I would have to bring it in to have it diagnosed. OH! And that will be $90 dollars please!! I told her that I would not be spending any more money at her dealership ever again.
So in the end, I have a brand new filler neck, brand new gas tank, yet same issue as I had in the first place. Anyone have any success or fixes to this problem without spending tons of cash at the stealership?
Are the tanks and filler necks the same on all JKs? If so try one from a newer one.
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #37
Taguilar
1994 YJ Wrangler 

According to the dealer, the new filler neck I received are the ones all new JK's are receiving. Same filler neck but with a design fix from the defective ones on the early JK's
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #38
Taguilar
1994 YJ Wrangler 

THE CURE!!!! At Last, at last!!!!

Alright guys! I know its been a long time but I may have found the cure we've all been looking for. First off, let me start by saying what I did is probably going to be frowned upon by some and I also can’t guarantee that it will work for everyone’s JK having the same problem as mine. But all I can do is write up what I did to my JK that stopped my problem.
Just as a reminder, my JK had the notorious “fill-up problem”! I could only fill up at the pump 4-5 seconds at a time without having the gas nozzle click off. Gasoline was backing up in the filler hose to the fill nozzle causing it to shut down constantly or at times spilling out gasoline.
Having replaced the gas tank already, I knew that there is an “anti-spill valve” at the gas tanks opening. Basically it’s a plastic ball that, during normal operation, sits at the bottom of a plastic cage which still allows gasoline to flow in the tank. If you were to ever flip your jeep, the idea is the ball would roll down the cage and close up the gas tank opening preventing fuel from escaping. Knowing that this valve was working properly, I turned my attention to my filler hose. Even though I had just had that replaced at the dealership, I couldn't think of anything else it could be. My first picture shows the entire filler hose assembly removed from the vehicle. The curved end goes towards the gas fill end and the straight end connects to the gas tank. It’s super easy to remove. You just need a flat head screw driver and release the two hose clamps on either end. As you can see, the filler hose is made up of 5 main pieces. There are 3 rubber hoses with 2 metal pipes in between. You will notice that the rubber hose in the middle is much larger in diameter than the other two. By continuing to remove the hose clamps, you need to remove this larger center rubber hose from the rest of the assembly. Here comes the real fix to my problem.
Inside this hose you will find a while plastic flapper valve. According to the mechanic at the dealership, I was told that this valve is a secondary “Anti-Spill/Splash Valve”. Although this flapper valve is much more rinky dinky, it is supposed to serve as a stop if gas ever comes rushing up the hose for whatever reason. In theory, the rush of gas would hit the back of the flapper causing it to shut closed and prevent gas from escaping any further down the filler hose. I’ve heard some referring it as an anti-siphon valve but it is not. It will still allow a small diameter hose to enter the filler hose all the way down to the tank. The ball valve at the opening of the tank will not allow a hose to enter it. Remember it has that plastic cage around it that will not allow anything to enter except for gasoline. Back to the flapper valve; you can remove it by pushing it with a flat head screw driver towards the larger end of the hose. It is not glued in place, just kept in place by compression with the rubber hose. Now, after examining this flapper valve, I noticed that even in its fully open position, it was causing a huge blockage in the gasoline’s ability to travel down the filler hose. The last picture shows the valve's approximate position when fully open inside the hose. Knowing that I already had a primary “anti-spill valve” in the gas tank that worked perfectly, and the fact that I never plan on putting my Jeep in a position to possibly flip over, I took the chance and removed this secondary valve from the hose. Next, I put the hose assembly back together and tightened it back up on the Jeep.
So off to the gas station I go and guess what?! I fill up for the first time with no problem at all!!!!!! Am I satisfied that I removed this stupid rinky dink valve that caused me a headache for years? Absolutely!!!! Am I worried that one far off and distant day, on a full moon, on leap year, while wheeling in Moab, that I’ll flip my Jeep and my Primary ant-spill valve will not work and I end up leaking gasoline everywhere? Gasp…..pant ….pant…….Deep Breathe…... NOPE!!! Not at all!!
Last thing I’ll say is that the filler hose is still not a great design with all those different diameter hose sizes in it. Even after my fix, I’ve had the gas nozzle shut off on me a dozen times since. But I can tell you that removing that damn thing is 100% better than before. I no longer sit at the gas station for 20 minutes trying to fill up! And to all those worried about removing something from your jeep, you can always put that flapper valve back into your filler hose. If this doesn't work for you, you may have a different problem than mine and I hope you the best on a fix to your problem cause I know how frustrating this is!!
Hope this helps!!! I’d love to hear back from anyone that tries this!
forum1.jpg   forum3.jpg   fourm2.jpg  
Unread 10-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #39
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The early Jk's that have the fuel spit-back problem don't have the check valve you removed.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #40
Taguilar
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Really? Cause I have a 2007 JK
Unread 10-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #41
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taguilar View Post
Really? Cause I have a 2007 JK
Did you buy it used?
It didn't come from the factory with the check valve in the filler tube.
My 2008 didn't, and it had the fuel spit-back problem until I brought it in under the warranty extension TSB.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.