Gas station embarrassment... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Gas station embarrassment...

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 03-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Stefidafred
2008 JK Wrangler 

Gas station embarrassment...

I am the proud new owner of an '08 JK Sahara edition (and extremely excited about it may I add!) however I am having an issue with filling up my gas tank...

Every time I fill up, when the pump clicks (signaling the completion of filling), I go to remove the nozzle, and gas is pouring out of my jeep! Is this a fluke or is there something I can do to fix this issue? For now I just avoid filling the tank completely... It's embarrassing looking like I don't know how to pump gas and then also have to clean off the wasted gas from the side of my jeep.... Help?!

Stefidafred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefidafred View Post
I am the proud new owner of an '08 JK Sahara edition (and extremely excited about it may I add!) however I am having an issue with filling up my gas tank...

Every time I fill up, when the pump clicks (signaling the completion of filling), I go to remove the nozzle, and gas is pouring out of my jeep! Is this a fluke or is there something I can do to fix this issue? For now I just avoid filling the tank completely... It's embarrassing looking like I don't know how to pump gas and then also have to clean off the wasted gas from the side of my jeep.... Help?!
No mistake on your part. There is a recall on the gas tank for the exact problem you encountered. Take it to the dealership.

Other than that little initiation to Jeep ownership, congratulations on becoming a Jeeper! Many fun times await you.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Stefidafred
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thank you! I did own a 5.9 Limited ZJ prior to my JK but am much more excited for future mod possibilities with this one and thank you so much for the info on the recall, I will definitely be making a trip back to the dealership!
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you! I did own a 5.9 Limited ZJ prior to my JK but am much more excited for future mod possibilities with this one and thank you so much for the info on the recall, I will definitely be making a trip back to the dealership!
If you ask the dealer about the recall, they may look and say there isn't one for this issue.

Ask them to see if the warranty extension on the gas tank filler applies to your JK.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
Stefidafred
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx
If you ask the dealer about the recall, they may look and say there isn't one for this issue.

Ask them to see if the warranty extension on the gas tank filler applies to your JK.
If it doesn't apply... Am I just stuck with never being able to fill my tank up completely?
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

This is a SAFETY issue, there should be a recall for this.
In the mean time, have the wife fill up the gas tank while you stand back and smoke a cigarette. hehe
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
If it doesn't apply... Am I just stuck with never being able to fill my tank up completely?
Some people who were not initially covered have taken video of the gas spilling out, showed the dealer, played the safety and EPA cards, and were then covered.

For those who are not covered, it's an easy and inexpensive fix. It used to involve replacement of the entire tank and filler tube. Now there is a newly designed filler tube, so tank replacement is no longer necessary.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Stefidafred
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails
This is a SAFETY issue, there should be a recall for this.
In the mean time, have the wife fill up the gas tank while you stand back and smoke a cigarette. hehe
Hahaha well seeing as I'm a girl, maybe ill make the boyfriend fill it up for me
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I don’t believe there was actually a “recall” but rather a letter (forgot what they are called) was sent out to original owners about the problem and that they will then repair the spill problem. I received one for my ’08 but never took it in before its untimely demise.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

you might also want to stop pumping when you get close to full and then set it on the slowest setting. Or just manually put the fuel in slow.
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
Stefidafred
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rha600
you might also want to stop pumping when you get close to full and then set it on the slowest setting. Or just manually put the fuel in slow.
That's what I've been doing since I realized it wasn't a one time thing. Just would be nice to not have to worry about it...
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

I hear ya. It doesn't do it as bad as the JKs but my Cherokee does it a little bit as well. Once it automatically clicks off I have to just stop. If I try to put anymore in it comes back out.
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine got replaced well before the "safety bulletin" went out, but I'd brought it in several times for another issue. Worst case scenario: after you bring it in several times and it's still not fixed, you have a case with Jeep/Chrysler Inc. It also helped me that my Jeep garage was "cool" with mods, and wheeling it like a Jeep...a lot of Jeep shops AREN'T!

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

is this a problem with the new ones still as well? 2013 models?
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
amick218

Happened to me on my 'new' 08 Sahara! Might be calling the dealership soon. Not a big deal to me, I mean, with gas prices so high I rarely fill it up
amick218 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.