Gas Mileage - 2013 JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Gas Mileage - 2013 JK

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 02-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
cpca3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Gas Mileage - 2013 JK

I bought my first JK about 2 months ago. It's a 2013 Sahara Unlimited with a dealer installed 2" lift and 33" tires. I drive it mostly on the highway in cold Alberta, Canada. My problem is the gas mileage - at best it's getting about 350 km (218 miles) per tank. With a 22.5 gallon tank that works out to less than 10 miles per gallon. The on-board fuel economy display is showing a similar result - averaging about 23 l per 100KM (or about 10 miles per gallon). I took it into the dealer to get them to look it over and run a bunch of tests that did not reveal any obvious mechanical problems. (or so they say). The dealer said they could not do anything and poor milage is normal during the "break-in" period and that the lift and larger tires are also part of the problem. The Jeep has about 1,200 miles on it right now.

Everything I've read on this forum tells me I should be getting 15-20 mpg. At 70-75 Canadian dollars per tank, the jeep is quickly loosing it's appeal. My questions to the group:

a) is there anyone else out there with similar problems?
b) any ideas what could be wrong with it mechanically?
c) what should I do?

Thanks in advance!!
CP

cpca3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
awinski
i like turtles

2012 JK Wrangler 

there are many people out there who experience poor fuel economy during break in. winter blends in fuel wont make it any better. if it were me, id wait till 6k ish. if it hasn't picked up by then, then take it in and complain.
Unread 02-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

when you went 33 did you recalibrate?

a 33x10.5 is better for fuel than a 12.5 wide, more a tire is in the air steam.

I would think its more driver, if nothing is wrong with the Jeep

. Not that we are near the same. My 2d jkr with 35"s about 4" of lift, all the added steel fenders and bumpers. gets about 14-17 in town (that is what is on the build sheet read the small print.) I tend to get the 14 more, i am not a hyper'miller its a Jeep. Going out of town on long wheeling trips the Jeep has made 17-18.5 . For a Jeep thats outstanding
Unread 02-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

2012 unlimited rubicon 4.10s six speed on 3.5" lift and 35s here. Typically 16mpg in town, 18mpg highway (60mph) or 15mpg at 70+mph. Lower in the winter with cold weather, crappy gas, standing water etc. Made a 1000 mile trip this winter with a solid 13-14mpg. It's a lifted jeep with big tires. Nothing I didn't expect.

You're getting winter blend gas which makes it worse, and I'm guessing you haven't recalibrated the speedometer so you aren't showing the actually mileage. Depending on your axle gearing it may be worse as well.

Recalibrate the speedo, put some miles on it and see what it does in the spring and summer.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
Flood
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a fully stock 2013 Jku Sahara 6 spd manual with 3000km/1800miles on the odo and am getting on average 14 litres per 100km or 16mpg, mostly city driving.

edit: I'm stuck in traffic alot, if i was to do mostly hwy driving I'd get closer to 19mpg.
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.