Gas ): - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Gas ):

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 03-12-2007, 07:36 PM   #16
Diesel0312

I've never checked the computer for mileage. The one time I did it by hand it was around 18 combined. No idea why yours is so low...

Mods: Windshield mounted Hella FF1000 driving lights, Rugged Ridge front grab handles, CLC rear grab handles, Teraflex 2.5" BB, Quadratec boor handle covers, Bestop spare cover, Custom front bumper, 17X9 Pro Comp 1079's, 305/17/R17 Buckshot Mudders.
In the works: Custom rear bumper.
Diesel0312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 08:09 PM   #17
Motocane
Jeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellener
There's no excuse why the Jeep Wrangler in 2007 should get such crappy mileage. Brick or not, every Wrangler owner or potential Wrangler owner would love to see some improvement in this area. Am I wrong? Do you NOT want to get better mileage?
I get better mileage that I did with the TJ. I am just happy with that. I guess if I was concerned about mileage, I would go buy a small car.
2007 Red Rock Unlimited Rubi, 6 speed, dual tops, tow, power group, side air bags, deep tint, Sirius, 6-disc DVD/mp3 radio, Pro Comp Series 7005, 4.5 Rubicon Express longarm, Rubicon Express drive shaft and shocks, 4.88 gears, Toyo MT 35's, yellow top, Cobra WXSTII, Fab Fours front and rear bumpers, Warn 9.5XP with synthetic, cirkit boss, black grill insert, DEO high steer.

1990 YJ 3 1/2" BDS suspension lift, 1 " body lift, SYE, Borla header and catback, Super 35 rear with Detroit Locker, 4.56 F & R, Schrockworks rocksliders, Truxus 33 MTS, Mastercraft Baja RS front seats, Bestop rear seat, Skid Row nightcrawler front bumper, LOD rear bumper, Centerforce dual friction clutch, Bushwacker flares, Warn 9.5ti with synthetic, Line-X tub, Dual yellow tops, aluminum radiator, electric fan, back up lights, heavy duty alternator, Uniden PC78Elite, PIAA 525s, hood lights, fuel injection.
Motocane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #18
jeepers3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs_jeep
I have my unlimited Sahara on order and I am wondering if you have 4.10 or 3.21 gears?
Well, it's an auto, so it has the 4.10 gears.
jeepers3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #19
mc22958
2008 WK 

My 6sp Rubicon is getting around 15 mpg climbing the mountain twice a day, 3500 ft elevation. I check both the computer and by hand. The computer has been high most of the time, about 1 mpg, but it has been low a couple of times. I still get better milage than my Land Rover and Dodge diesel.
mc22958 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 08:40 PM   #20
bmac55

Well, my JK is on order so I can't offer any numbers on it. My '06 Wrangler Unlimited gets around 15, I think.. Haven't checked it in awhile. I agree with whoever said 15 mpg, while better than 12, is not good mileage. My '01 F-150 4x4 gets around 12 mpg.

The point of this post is just this. Even those getting 18-19 mpg won't claim that they have a fuel efficient vehicle. They weren't purchased for thier thriftiness to operate. Neither was my p/u truck. But, I can not remember an occassion when I was at the gas pump with either my Jeep or p/u when someone came up to me and asked what kind of mileage I got. Nor have I heard or read of reports where Jeeps or F-150s were trashed (in the media or vandalized) by the tree huggers.

Yet, when I owned my H1 - it was common for a stranger to come up to ask what kind of mileage I got. Nothing else. And, I've read numerous reports of HUMMERs being keyed, burned, etc. Not to mention the fact that the media uses them as the poster child of over consumption of fuel. What mileage did I get with the H1? About 12 mpg.

Didn't mean to get this thread off topic, but I find the perceptions of others towards different vehicles fascinating. Jeeper3's relatively compact JK getting the same mileage as my behemoth H1. Yet his image is much more acceptable to the general public than mine was with the HUMMER. Interesting.
bmac55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 08:48 PM   #21
deadspot

My X/4DR/Auto/4.10 gets close to 17 calculated by hand. I have 2,400 mi on it. I have gotten close to 18 once and I am not surprised to be closer to 16 at times. My driving is a mix of highway and local roads. I would say I am easy on the pedal. I don't bother with the computer readings.
deadspot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #22
jeepers3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac55
Jeeper3's relatively compact JK getting the same mileage as my behemoth H1. Yet his image is much more acceptable to the general public than mine was with the HUMMER. Interesting.
Well, it's not so fascinating because you are assuming that people know or even care what the facts are. When you have a hummer, all people need to know to brand you as EVIL is that you have a hummer. It has been marketed (for better or worse), by others (other than GM) as being Evil. The Jeep (Wrangler) on the other hand probably does not get branded as being evil because it is a smaller vehicle (until recently, MUCH smaller). So, even thought it may not get much better mileage, the perception is that it does. And as we all know, perception is everything. People will much more readily accept perception than fact.
Unread 03-12-2007, 10:29 PM   #23
bmac55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers3
Well, it's not so fascinating because you are assuming that people know or even care what the facts are.
Well, I didn't really assume that at all. The point I was trying to make was exactly what you stated (you were just more articulate than I). The media and environmentalist wackos tagged the HUMMER, Excursion and other large SUVs as evil (as you said) but totally ignored other equally or similarly fuel-inefficient vehicles. I think it was more a class warfare mentality, fueled (pardon the pun) by the media. And I do think it is fascinating (ok, some might insert "sad" here) that so many people will join the crusade without bothering to find the facts for themselves.

This is similar to the gun-control kooks who want to ban semi-automatic "assault" rifles because of their military or manacing appearance. They don't bother to learn that the working mechanisms of and the ammo used by these guns is the same as those of semi-automatic sporting rifles. Its all in the image.
Unread 03-13-2007, 12:37 AM   #24
jeepers3

Quote:
And I do think it is fascinating (ok, some might insert "sad" here) that so many people will join the crusade without bothering to find the facts for themselves.
You can't really blame the people. It's what they are trained to do as a result of the American school system - just take the spoonfed answers that someone gives you as the truth, rather than thinking for yourself. These days, thinking for yourself in school will get you put on Ritalin. It's actually part of a vast government conspiracy to rid the American people of their ability to think at all, so they do not question the government's debasing of the Constitution and are more than happy to succumb to the government's fear mongering and exchange their rights for so-called "security" all the while becoming enslaved to pay for the every growing increase in government and the notion that it is here to solve all your problems for you - a notion that the American people are quickly becoming addicted to - but hey, that's a topic for another thread. (:

I also think that Hummers got tagged as evil due to their high expense. There is an element of classism attached to Hummers that just doesn't apply to cheaper SUVs, such as the Wrangler.
Unread 03-13-2007, 03:43 AM   #25
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers3
...I was hoping to get somewhere in the 15 to 17mpg range. I can't believe this thing doesn't get better mileage than my 15 year old crappy-assed Isuzu Trooper. I would have thought that a more modern engine (and all around car) would do better "just because", but I guess not.

Anyway - just FYI for anyone who cares about this stuff.
you are being punished for calling your jeep a car.
sorry man, but i'd rather have you get ****ty mpg than have god kill another kitten.
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

Brew what you drink, drink what you brew

USN Hull number 54
Poor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2007, 05:16 AM   #26
h20squirter
2012 JK Wrangler 

i thought it was Chuck Norris who killed the kittens?

ofcourse, maybe the kittens will win?

Unread 03-13-2007, 06:29 AM   #27
MJS_Jeep_888

Quote:
The media and environmentalist wackos tagged the HUMMER, Excursion and other large SUVs as evil (as you said) but totally ignored other equally or similarly fuel-inefficient vehicles.
For whatever reason (hint: ridiculous size) it's a LOT easier to look at someone driving alone in an H1 or an Excursion and see "excess" than someone in a 2 door Jeep...
Unread 03-13-2007, 06:54 AM   #28
Scootr
2007 JK Wrangler 

From what I see the gas mileage is no better than that of my Ram with the Hemi...which is even more reason for DC to put the Hemi in the JK!!!!!!!

[B] 2007 JK "X" 2dr [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Jeep Green[/COLOR],auto, 4.10's, 6 disc Infinity system with sub, 32's w/Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Series 8179 wheels, Smittybilt SRC side bars,Sirius 1 unit, Magellan Maestro 3100 GPS . Former Jeeps...02 and 05 TJ Sports
[COLOR="Red"]SEMPER FI ![/COLOR]
[/B]
Scootr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2007, 07:31 AM   #29
bmac55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
For whatever reason (hint: ridiculous size) it's a LOT easier to look at someone driving alone in an H1 or an Excursion and see "excess" than someone in a 2 door Jeep...
Obviously, the owners of these vehicles don't see them as "ridiculous" in size. These trucks satisfy whatever desires / needs the owners have and whether or not it is "excessive" should be up to them. However, the market spoke loud and clear on the H1 and Excursion, as these trucks are now history (in terms of new production). Personally, I'm saddened by these developments.

I think these trucks were generally targeted on 3 fronts - size (as you stated), cost and fuel consumption. But, the outspoken folks criticizing these were inconsistent in their attacks. I never saw negative press on 1 ton dually trucks, for example (and not all of these are used in construction or agriculture), high-end luxury sports cars (which can cost more than a HUMMER and get poor mileage) or other, more non-descript gas guzzlers.

Now, for me, the H1 just became impractical to keep. The size did become "ridiculous" for daily use (would not fit through the drive thru at my bank, parking issues, etc.) and it did not make financial sense to let a depreciating asset sit in my garage for occassional use. However, I would have taken offense if someone told me I had no right to drive such a large, expensive, thirsty vehicle. (BTW, I bought a "new" (never titled) 2 year old H1 with 5K miles and a 3 yr warranty for a fraction of the price of a new model year truck. It was a great deal)

I realize that there is alot of animosity between certain Jeep owners and HUMMER owners (as each claims to have the ultimate off-road vehicle). Fortunately, I never saw the need to get into that debate. To each his own. I'm lucky to have enjoyed both and look forward to the arrival of my new JK, sucky gas mileage or not.
Unread 03-13-2007, 04:29 PM   #30
skellener

Quote:
I'm lucky to have enjoyed both and look forward to the arrival of my new JK, sucky gas mileage or not.
Absolutely, but you would look forward to it even more, I'll bet, if you knew it got better mileage! Didn't I read somewhere that the euro version of the Wrangler has a diesel and gets like 30 mpg? Even with diesel prices where they are, double mileage (compared to the paulty 15 mpg mentioned here) sounds pretty darn good to me. Wonder how that bio-diesel (veggie gas) would work out?

Steve

- Still a Jeep fan!
skellener is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.