Garage hoist-a-top of a JKU - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Garage hoist-a-top of a JKU

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #31
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Question: it looks like the crank is at the end of the hoist unit. Could it be rotated 90* so that crank was to the side of the Jeep rather than the end [where the rear window would be in the way] since the platform is 4'x4' square anyway? It seems it'd be easier to operate from the side rather than the front/back of the JK.

Thanks,

john

Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #32
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sure, all you gotta do is figure out a gear reduction box and multiple connections-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJeep View Post
This looks like the best solution for me.

Can it be used with an electric hoist?
Take a look at the RACOR diagrams and see if you can use another hoist system-along withit

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #33
OutermostJeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

The orientation of the unit depends on how you install it - which is dependent on the orientation of the ceiling joists in your garage. You can install supplemental braces perpendicular to your ceiling joists and then install it rotated so the gear box is on the side. However I find that it can be controlled from the side even when the box is mounted parallel to your jeep. They give you a long extension pole to use with your drill
OutermostJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #34
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmako View Post
Yeah low ceiling since I have a second floor above but garage is very long. I can lift enough to store and still park in front I figure.

Don't I only have to lift a few say inches to remove top?
I have a low flat roof garage an I was able to use my deer hanger as a lift to take the top off. It only needs to clear by an inch or so. Its trickier but doable. I ran to ratcheting tie down straps front to back on each side and then hooked them onto the deer hanger.

it worked and I didn't have to spend any money.

Bug-Out! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/b...build-1568531/

I don't always go topless, but when I do I go Commando!
wilgeno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:35 AM   #35
TMJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Those that leave it hanging. Do you just use ratchet straps? Does it seem to distort the top when you go to put it back on?
31" BFG A/T
Cibies headlamps, plus 30 bulbs
other than that pretty much stock for now
TMJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #36
OutermostJeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

I just use ratchet straps. Doesn't seem to have any effect on the the top.
OutermostJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.