JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Garage hoist-a-top of a JKU (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/garage-hoist-top-jku-1529278/)

jkmax 05-28-2013 01:08 PM

Garage hoist-a-top of a JKU

I'm very interested in buying one. What does everyone think!? Pretty sturdy?? Easy installation??

JKommuter 05-28-2013 01:22 PM

I used a Racor lift I purchased from amazon. Easy to install, use your cordless drill to crank it up.
I can remove my top and doors from my JKU by myself in about 30 minutes give or take.
Hang the top from the lift using ratchet straps, put the freedom tops on the top of the platform. Check it out.
Racor lift on Amazon $140

Amazon reviews by other Jeepers who did the same

dualtjs 05-28-2013 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did this for my TJ's hard top: 4 eye screws into the ceiling joists, 4 eye bolts into two 2X4's and 4 synch straps ($30 solution). I can remove the hard top and raise it, by myself (I use zip ties to ensure that it doesn't slip while I raise it up). I can raise it high enough to walk under it (I'm 6'1"). I'll use if for my JKU's hard top too.

Lynhalla 05-28-2013 02:44 PM

I have the Lange power hoist-a-top. It is sturdy and easy to install. I have seen many home made versions on here and if you are handy and have the time, it may be worth doing to save money. If you havent already done so, do a search as there are threads that show pictures

JIMBOX 05-28-2013 03:01 PM

;) The RACOR Hoist is usually available for under $100 bucks and is a non-slip/multiuse/single person operated system-

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKommuter (Post 15490126)
I used a Racor lift I purchased from amazon. Easy to install, use your cordless drill to crank it up.
I can remove my top and doors from my JKU by myself in about 30 minutes give or take.
Hang the top from the lift using ratchet straps, put the freedom tops on the top of the platform. Check it out.
Racor lift on Amazon $140

Amazon reviews by other Jeepers who did the same

This pic shows the RACOR after top install and using for other storage items and the MBRP JKU rack makes removal/reinstall quick/easy-

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...0House/023.jpg

Good luck

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

VICTIM_OF_PAIN 05-29-2013 01:14 PM

I had the Lange hoist from my old TJ so I just used that. Works like a charm and no worries about it falling off.

REPPO 05-29-2013 01:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Harken Hoist for me.

dmako 05-29-2013 03:11 PM

The Racor unit looks interesting.

Being 4 feet wide, is it too narrow for getting a top up high?
i.e. I'm looking for a solution for a low garage ceiling 8' 6"

JIMBOX 05-29-2013 03:32 PM

:cool: The RACOR is 4'x4', so however it's mouted on the ceiling it'll accomodate any hardtop JK/JKU

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmako (Post 15495173)
The Racor unit looks interesting.

Being 4 feet wide, is it too narrow for getting a top up high?
i.e. I'm looking for a solution for a low garage ceiling 8' 6"

if your ceiling is 8'6", you would have a very scary time removing/storing the hardtop-up in the air--doable, but freaky !

Good luck

dmako 05-29-2013 03:50 PM

Yeah low ceiling since I have a second floor above but garage is very long. I can lift enough to store and still park in front I figure.

Don't I only have to lift a few say inches to remove top?

JIMBOX 05-29-2013 03:59 PM

:cool: YUP, then backing in to remount--VERY CAREFULLY !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmako (Post 15495320)
Yeah low ceiling since I have a second floor above but garage is very long. I can lift enough to store and still park in front I figure.

Don't I only have to lift a few say inches to remove top?

Freedon tops OFF and rear hatch open--it'll work

MEYJR 05-30-2013 07:40 AM

Hey everyone, I am trying to decide how to do this as well, however my situation is a little different. I do not have a garage and I need to do it under a carport. My concern is the wind blowing the top around as it hangs. Has anyone made something under a carport that works?

The Racor lift looks interesting. Does anyone have any pics of their top hanging with it? Are you sliding the top onto the platform or removing it and using hooks?

Airborne Lee 05-30-2013 08:07 AM

I just posted mine on the general forum.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...build-1529699/

JIMBOX 05-30-2013 08:17 AM

:cool: Sorry, no pics with mine and I have the MBRP rack so my removal using "J" hooks on cable-below the RACOR platform was easy, but

I've gotta 10' ceiling in my garage, I'd be hesitant trying this in a carport !

These hardtops aren't actual "Fiberglass" so they are really prone to cracks/fractures with the slightest bump/jar/rap--

Gotta be careful-

:tea: JIMBO

dualtjs 05-30-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEYJR (Post 15497894)
Hey everyone, I am trying to decide how to do this as well, however my situation is a little different. I do not have a garage and I need to do it under a carport. My concern is the wind blowing the top around as it hangs. Has anyone made something under a carport that works?

The Racor lift looks interesting. Does anyone have any pics of their top hanging with it? Are you sliding the top onto the platform or removing it and using hooks?

I would wager that bungee cords (or perhaps synch straps) from the 4 corners of the bottom of the top to the posts of the car port would work nicely. I would also leave the back door open so wind can flow through would be a big help too.

The time now is 05:21 AM.