Gap/sloppy feeling in steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Gap/sloppy feeling in steering

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

Gap/sloppy feeling in steering

I started getting a feeling in the steering wheel the other day that I never noticed driving before.... its to the point where I almost dont feel safe driving on the highway. When the wheel is dead center driving and I move it left or right I can feel what appears to be a slight gap where it doesnt do anything and then engages. I NEVER noticed it before, which is why I am concerned about it now.

The jeep only has about 3700 miles on it so far. No offroading to break anything, i havent had the time in my schedule to do so .

mods are in my sig, it was all done by the dealership so its supposed to be covered...however i've been having issues with them saying nothing is wrong with recent problems even though I know there is...i mean, i drive it every day and know how it felt before... so I want to have something to back up my concern. and this isnt my first JK, so I know how they drive

Unread 10-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

float across center can be caused by:
Toe out of spec (loads slip angle which must then unload before steer is felt)
tie rod or drag link ends worn
ball joints worn
low tire pressure (increases slip angle)
worn steering box worm
excessive caster
Unread 10-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Its rather hard to figure out what is the exact issue. If what they did do was right and tight. Just looking at what you have:

you say its 3" spring lift. Not a fan of BDS. But I am sure that is what the dealer had and must work with.

If the 3" is REAR. The jeeps sits fairly level compared to stock. The front then is closer 4".

Front at 4 needs adjustable control arms or correction brackets. To get caster angle right. if the kit had these should be good?

Steering can be improved in a Jk lifted. One of the better ways I think is for lifts over 3 inch front and 3" bumps is the to raise the track bar axle mount 3" and flip the drag link. You can use a stock RHD one but there cheep and if you have larger tires flex like a noodle like the LHD. Doing this raise the roll center of track bar.(handles better with less axle shift. Steering has less dead feel. This job good parts will be 600$ and is somewhat hard as yo have to drill the tre: out.

The next issue with all Jk"s is the cheep tie rod. Grab it. feel how loose all that is, new. The Tres on this part are just like the ball joints, the have a plastic inner cup. Smooth yes. With 35" tires they wont last. Replacing this area you would feel ever better steering if done at the time of the flip kit it is about night and day how tight it feels.
Unread 10-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

^ thanks both of you for all that information.... I was looking under neath the jeep and grabbed ahold of the bar the steering stabilizer is bolted to and it was moving back and forth as shown in the video, and im pretty sure this never did this before.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps888e4c29.mp4

Is this bad bushings or just loose bolts?
Unread 10-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

There should be some movement there - that's the tie rod. the best way to check that is jack one wheel off the ground and see if you can steer it left/right (by forcing the tire). If you can feel left to right movement more than 1/16 inch without the grounded tire moving - the tie rod ends are loose. Stock ends do not hold up to oversize tires very long. Mine were sloppy enough to give toe OUT by 2100 miles! Dealer changed them under warranty - but advised he would not again due to the lift and 35s... I bought two heavy duties and threw them in the bag for spares. SO far another 7500 miles and still okay.

Also the ends should be "clocked" - that is they are parallel to each other. Sometimes in getting the toe just right they end up a bit off clock - this will wear them faster.
Unread 10-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

easiest way is to move the steering wheel when both wheels are on the ground, if you hear noise, its a sure sign something is wrong, for me, one side of the track bar was over adjusted out, while the other was under adjusted, the under side was fine. but the side with the heim too far out was moving back and forth easily. 10 mins of moving one side two turns in, the other two out, and it was just like new.
just something to check.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.