Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Futue Mods and avoiding death wobble issues?

730 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Layth 
#1 ·
So I have a stock 2014 Rubicon Unlimited and I've thought of adding 33" tires similar in width to stock and maybe a 2 in lift to compensate for bumpers and a winch. Not with that said the other day on the highway I saw a 2dr JK and it had a scary looking case of death wobble. It didn't have much of a lift and the tires were 33-35 but they were quite wide. I thought at that point maybe I don't want to mod my JK! Of course it's impossible to know what setup the person was running. Any thoughts? What can a person do to avoid death wobble when planning future mods?

I have a lifted TJ also and I've never had a problem with it except for some minor bump steer.

#2 ·
Get a complete lift kit for the amount of lift you plan. You can easily run 33s on a JK with no lift. IMO for 2 in or less, you could just go with coil spacers and be done with it. Once you go higher, you can search, but the number of components and parts needed to keep a satisfactory geometry goes up exponentially...along with costs. When you look at causes for DW they seem to be related more to wear of existing ball joints and/or not properly installing (torquing) of installed parts (track bar primarily). Read Planman's writeup on DW and what causes it to help you select and install parts before you get DW.

#3 ·
What Rocky said.

You can get DW on a 100% stock suspension (I did on my 2007).

As far as lift to compensate for the bumpers, etc. get spacers. I run 33's with no lift. No rub at all. I will put in a .75" spacer next spring due to droop from a very heavy front bumper. But no lift is necessary for that size tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.