Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Fuel Overflow on 2012 JKUR

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  horaceunit 
#1 ·
I know that there is a similar topic a ways down, but on a slightly older model with, from what I understand, had a recall. Now, I have a 2012 JKUR and it seems as if every time I fill up, if I try to add a little more gas after the pump stops, it overflows and gets everywhere. My dad has told me many times in the past that "there is alway more room" and to "always add a little more." On every other vehicle my family has owned and on his '87 YJ, we are able to top it off a bit. Is it common and normal that I can't do this on my JK? And is there something I can do to fix this so if I do try to get a little more in after it stops, it doesn't overflow and pour out?

Thanks everyone!

#2 ·
Overflowing when you try to add more isn't the same condition as those that overflow at the first automatic shutoff.

This is from the 2012 Owner's Manual:

To avoid fuel spillage and overfilling, do not “top
off” the fuel tank after filling.

#9 ·
JordanTheJew said:
I know that there is a similar topic a ways down, but on a slightly older model with, from what I understand, had a recall. Now, I have a 2012 JKUR and it seems as if every time I fill up, if I try to add a little more gas after the pump stops, it overflows and gets everywhere. My dad has told me many times in the past that "there is alway more room" and to "always add a little more." On every other vehicle my family has owned and on his '87 YJ, we are able to top it off a bit. Is it common and normal that I can't do this on my JK? And is there something I can do to fix this so if I do try to get a little more in after it stops, it doesn't overflow and pour out?

Thanks everyone!
Some pre-2010 JKs had problems with fuel filler vent and fuel inlet check valve causing overflow but that is different from trying to top off the tank.

#10 ·
modern fuel systems are designed to have a shut off. if you add more fuel after the auto shut off either you will flood/fill the evap canister (usually not ganna be covered under warranty) or the pump will recirculate the fuel or spill out of your filler. I would advice just leave it after the auto shut off.

#14 ·
My new 2013 JK is the same way. I can get maybe .20-.75 cents more in (not really a top off) after the first auto shut off. I too was used to "topping" off as a matter of course. First time it happened and I over flowed it I went and checked the manual and it does say not to top off. OK now I just try to get to the nearest whole number when I fill up. So if it hits $38.33 at the first shut off I try to get it to $38.50. I hate having to enter odd numbers into the check book. Upsets my sense of balance in the universe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.