fuel drip from rollover vent valve? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > fuel drip from rollover vent valve?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

fuel drip from rollover vent valve?

I have a genright fuel cell

The two rollover vent valves that you see (at least that's what I thought they were) are tied together and run to the low pressure line off the evap canister.

Basically, its setup exactly as the stock fuel tank/emissions was, but with a different tank.

Before I tied it into the canister (didn't yet have the 5/8 to 1/4 adapter I needed), I fired it up to make sure it ran okay with no leaks, and it did. After shutting it off, I noticed a small fuel drip from the 1/4" line that comes off of the vent valves.

Should I worry about this, or was it only happening because there was not vacuum due to the system not being sealed? I'd hate to lock the engine up because fuel can get past the vent valves...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

vapor turning back to liquid. You have raised the tank above the evap system so any vapor that does turn back is now in the evap line. the tee should be above the fuel tank level. it appears to be under the jeep?
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Makes perfect sense. Yeah its under the jeep, slightly higher than the stock tanks location.
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

I would extend the evap line up (rather than vent lines down) - and tie it all together above the new tank. I ran into the same kind of issue when I injected the 57 - although no evap - the in-tank pump "spill off" (its a returnless style EFI) was splashing the vent line and after a hard run it would puke gasoline all over the top of the tank and leave dme to quarter sixzed spots on the ground - simply raising the end of the vent to 12" above the tank by going into the fender well (was at only 4) fixed it.

The next issue you will have is when (if) you extend the filler. You will have to run a vent line with check valve to the filler neck, as close to the cap as you can get it - from your existing vent system or else you will force fuel into the current vent\evap line every time you fill up. Another lesson the 57 taught me - and it only has a three inch neck (bed mounted deck fill with tank underbed between rails). Just as the gas nozzle would click off (or level came into neck if filling with jerry bottle) about 1/4 gallon would come out of the vent at high pressure and all over the rear axle (with 15 gallon tank at 4.3mpg locked into high octane - fueling is something I do often with this beast so we aren't just talking pennies hitting the ground!)... just tying the neck to the vent stopped it. I used a bulkhead fitting carefully placed in the neoprene hose that connect the tank neck to the deck cap neck and ran it to a tee on the vent fitting on the pump/sender flange with a regular check valve between the neck and tank (allowing flow to neck) and the rollover check mounted under the bed with the vent line running up into the fender well with a filter on the end - yea I know not a good place for it as the well is very watered and dusty - but this is a fair weather and street only machine.

The only real difference (functionally) between your system and an atmospheric vent like my old slug is the evap catches and holds vapors until an operating parameter of the engine (usually idle and decel) can sacrifice vacuum to slurp it into the engine. In my case fuel hits the ground - in yours it plugs and locks the evap!
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

That fuel cell kicks ***!!! How did it help your ground clearance? Would love to see some pics!
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I don't want to gent to the atmosphere if possible...beyond keeping stock, I don't want to smell fuel!

Installed a separator as a temporary fix...will get the t above the tank when I have the spare time
forumrunner_20130424_222353.jpg   forumrunner_20130424_222408.jpg  
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Sub - helped big time. The fuel tank and skid are totally gone. Next on the list is a redesign of the exhaust and cross member so I can add a flat belly skid
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol View Post
Yeah I don't want to gent to the atmosphere if possible...beyond keeping stock, I don't want to smell fuel!

Installed a separator as a temporary fix...will get the t above the tank when I have the spare time
Great solution (and you can't legally vent to atmosphere on any vehicle manufactured past 1976!! And on post 91 - full implemtation of obdII - atmospheric vent will light the check engine light - just like a loose gas cap)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.