Frost on Plastic Windows - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Frost on Plastic Windows

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #16
Ancient Mariner
2012 JK Wrangler 

Not cold, not hot, but warm water, and lots of it always fixed my plastic windows on another vehicle I owned (Tracker). It's quick and easy. However if it is really, really cold then you might end up with ice all over the side of the jeep. I toss warm on the windshield too.

Ancient Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #17
06slvrrubi
Lovin' Life

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've always heard that hotter water freezes faster than cold water. If it's really cold outside, any temp. water will freeze, so I wouldn't throw any water on it. I have a remote starter. I just hit that magical button about fifteen minutes before I have to leave and it's all warmed up and thawed out when I leave.
I do know that I put rain-x on the side windows of my old 05 TJ, and I swear it caused the windows to "fog" over.
I know I won't be putting it on my "new" 06. But I also have a hardtop now, so I won't really need to worry about it.
06slvrrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #18
itasor
2009 JK Wrangler 

I don't have plastic windows (XJ), but if there's ice on the plastic window, can't you just smack it from the inside and the ice will fall off?
itasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2007, 02:05 AM   #19
Alg3188
2007 JK Wrangler 

im not sure if rain x has it in it, but your not supposed to put anything with ammonia on the plastic windows(thats why your not supposed to use windex) as it will take away their luster. i have heared though that your not supposed to drive with the windows iced over(frost probbably isnt a big deal) due to the flapping in the wind, wich can crack the windows, wether thats true or not i dont know. however, when you run the air at full blast with the windows up it blows them out and ive noticed they flap very little if at all, so if the last statement were true, that could take away the chance of cracking the windows
=~~~==oo==
()_) ()_)--<>-)_)Nobody Gives it to you. You Have To Take it.
Whoever said life is good, must have been driving a Jeep. Stir Things Up
Alg3188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2007, 04:40 AM   #20
WakeRunner08
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgibson61611
I wouldn't put anything on the plastic... Based on some experience with similar material on boats, I know Rain-X is not recommended there - I bet it translates to the Jeep as well. let her warm up! And use both those side-view mirrors.
I agree. The material is so sensitive to cleaning supplies that are designed for the plastic windows that anything like Rain-X or spray de-icer would be, IMHO, a bad idea. Just go with the car's heater, and if you're in a real rush, go with a hair dryer. You could always remove the rear window, keep it inside and reinstall it every morning. That way, at least your rear would be clear... (probably takes about the same amount of time as it would to scrape clear anyways...)
WakeRunner08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2007, 07:10 AM   #21
Sammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itasor
I don't have plastic windows (XJ), but if there's ice on the plastic window, can't you just smack it from the inside and the ice will fall off?
Not much ice seems to accumulate on the plastic windows but it does help to smack them a little from the inside after you heat them up a bit. It does make the frozen water drops come off.
Unread 10-30-2007, 08:22 AM   #22
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parakleets
This will be my first Fall/Winter, with the JK. With my previous Wrangler (YJ), which I drove year round, I'd re-install the hardtop on October 1st. I did not get the hardtop, this time, so this morning was my first experience with frost on the plastic windows. What have you guys/gals done to deal with this. Running the heat, in the Jeep, eventually melted the light frost, but I am concerned more about heavy frost, ice, or freezing rain. I have heard that Rain-X is excellent, to reduce scrapping effort on glass windows. I wonder if it will have a similar effect, with wiping frost off of plastic windows? Is Rain-X even safe for use on plastic?
I wax my windows - it really helps. I use original Pledge - keeps the windows looking great, fills in minor scratches and it allows the moisture to roll-off quickly.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #23
colbster246

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW
I'm selling off my hard top. I've run soft tops forever.

Just fire up the Jeep and turn the heater on. The frost/snow/ice will melt off the side and back windows really fast. Sweep off accumulations of snow from the roof to keep it clean.

The soft top will heat up faster than the hard top will. The soft top will also heat up faster in the sun than the hard top will.

And yes, you loose heat a little faster with the soft top.
how much r u selling your hard top for i have a 2dr x
colbster246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2007, 10:37 AM   #24
bills79jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammer
Not much ice seems to accumulate on the plastic windows but it does help to smack them a little from the inside after you heat them up a bit. It does make the frozen water drops come off.
Yeah, a good smack on the inside with heavy ice knocks it off really well on my CJ. Never had a problem with cracking windows. As far as frost though, waiting is probably the best option.

Or- go faster than everyone else on the road so you only have to look forward.
bills79jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #25
BopsStudios
2007 JK Wrangler 

use the wifes credit card to scrape them or your kids rap cd
BopsStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #26
dmerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BopsStudios
use the wifes credit card to scrape them or your kids rap cd
simple, yet diabolical!!
dmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2007, 05:21 PM   #27
BJeepJK

Just crank up the heater and use your side mirrors for 3-4 minutes, after that it'll be so hot you'll be turning down the heat and putting the fan on the lowest setting. I got my 4dr w/soft top in Feb. and I get up for work just in time to get there ... no warming it up, just get in and go and it's pretty cold at 6:30am here in PA.
I'm pretty sure, at least in PA, that it is illegal to drive with snow/ice on your roof so once the Jeep warms up I just give the top alittle tap at 30-40 mph and it flies right off ... just make sure nobdy is behind you, that's what they are trying to avoid. I'm sure everybody here has been behind a big truck when a big chunk off ice flew off the top and smashed on the road in front of you.
BJeepJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #28
wrnglrguy
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you live in an area where the weather gets that bad and you don't have the time to let your Jeep warm up, then buy a cab cover for you Jeep and use it in the winter. It is made to cover your Jeep cab when your top is removed, but I have a friend who uses it in the winter too, when his top is on. He simply pulls it off and he is ready to go. He throws it on his back porch out of the weather while he is gone for the day, and puts it back on when he gets home.

http://www.4wd.com/subcategories.aspx?jeep-sid=211
wrnglrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2007, 06:19 PM   #29
CCrew
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk4u2nv
You could use that spray de-icer found at any store that will take care of your problem, you don't even need to touch them.
That's basically alcohol. If you want to ruin the windows I guess it'll cure the frost problem!
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #30
eeeep10
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Do not use rain x on the plastic!! The chemicals don't react well with the plastic and you'll end up with cloudy windows ....
eeeep10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.