JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Frost on Plastic Windows (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/frost-plastic-windows-479133/)

parakleets 10-29-2007 10:29 AM

Frost on Plastic Windows

This will be my first Fall/Winter, with the JK. With my previous Wrangler (YJ), which I drove year round, I'd re-install the hardtop on October 1st. I did not get the hardtop, this time, so this morning was my first experience with frost on the plastic windows. What have you guys/gals done to deal with this. Running the heat, in the Jeep, eventually melted the light frost, but I am concerned more about heavy frost, ice, or freezing rain. I have heard that Rain-X is excellent, to reduce scrapping effort on glass windows. I wonder if it will have a similar effect, with wiping frost off of plastic windows? Is Rain-X even safe for use on plastic?

JYogi 10-29-2007 10:58 AM

You shouldnt scrape the plastic windows at all.
Just time and heat will clear it...
I love the hardtop!

waterboarder 10-29-2007 11:16 AM

Exactly why I got dual tops.

ez__rider 10-29-2007 11:44 AM

but if we MUST clear some snow off, does anyone have brilliant suggestions, besides replacing with new tinted ones every couple years...

MichaelW 10-29-2007 11:52 AM

I'm selling off my hard top. I've run soft tops forever.

Just fire up the Jeep and turn the heater on. The frost/snow/ice will melt off the side and back windows really fast. Sweep off accumulations of snow from the roof to keep it clean.

The soft top will heat up faster than the hard top will. The soft top will also heat up faster in the sun than the hard top will.

And yes, you loose heat a little faster with the soft top.

JaKe08 10-29-2007 12:01 PM

There are not many things you can do to clear the windows of frost other than "waiting". Rain-X can help somewhat. You might consider a cover if this is a huge issue for u. They are gonna get scratched no matter how careful you are especially with it stored outside. You might also consider two sets of windows (one for winter that will take most of the abuse). Someone might be selling a set (Cheaper) when they replace them with the tinted style. Hope this helps.

Conor

Okiiashi 10-29-2007 12:04 PM

toss some hot water on the window

waterboarder 10-29-2007 12:15 PM

What about a hair dryer?

Rocky529 10-29-2007 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okiiashi
toss some hot water on the window

Tossing hot water on anything extremely cold isn't exactly the best thing to do.

Turn the heat on and wait.. your only option unless you like scratches or possibly cracks/holes.

Okiiashi 10-29-2007 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky529
Tossing hot water on anything extremely cold isn't exactly the best thing to do.

Turn the heat on and wait.. your only option unless you like scratches or possibly cracks/holes.

ok toss cold water or spray it with the hose

Slenny 10-29-2007 02:10 PM

If it is that big of a deal, don't install the windows. Just bundle up!! :D

carracer 10-29-2007 02:25 PM

Park inside the garage.

jk4u2nv 10-29-2007 02:47 PM

You could use that spray de-icer found at any store that will take care of your problem, you don't even need to touch them.

mgibson61611 10-29-2007 03:32 PM

I wouldn't put anything on the plastic... Based on some experience with similar material on boats, I know Rain-X is not recommended there - I bet it translates to the Jeep as well. let her warm up! And use both those side-view mirrors.

JYogi 10-29-2007 03:40 PM

Ummm I do not know if that would be wise...
I am willing to bet that stuff will eat away at the windows...

Id ask a few people in the know before I went throwing chemicals
onto the plastic windows or soft top....

The time now is 07:15 AM.