Front Upper Shock Bolt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Front Upper Shock Bolt

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 09-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Front Upper Shock Bolt

throwing some new shocks on and wondering how tight to tighten the the upper shock bolt for the fronts (i don't currently have a torque wrench).

i cranked them down to where the bushings is pretty much the same diameter as the washers. tight enough?

295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
janders82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

doesnt have to be crazy, id guess about 20 ft/lbs. mine are not squished down to bad at all
Maertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maertz
doesnt have to be crazy, id guess about 20 ft/lbs. mine are not squished down to bad at all
thanks. i'm pretty sure that 20 ft/lbs is the spec. its just that i don't have a torque wrench at the moment
Unread 09-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

For the upper front shocks all you need to do is tighten them up to remove all slack and make them snug, then give the nut/nuts a turn or two more. Over compressing the rubber bushings to the point of deforming them is a quick way to destroying them in very short order.

Never heard of using a torque wrench on the upper shock stems, a wrench is all thatís needed. Besides, itís imposable to get one up there anyways.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222
For the upper front shocks all you need to do is tighten them up to remove all slack and make them snug, then give the nut/nuts a turn or two more. Over compressing the rubber bushings to the point of deforming them is a quick way to destroying them in very short order. Never heard of using a torque wrench on the upper shock stems, a wrench is all that’s needed. Besides, it’s imposable to get one up there anyways.
THANKS for this. was hoping you would chime in...i was thinking the same thing about the torque wrench. i can't even get a socket up there, how in the heck am i going to fit the torque wrench?

thanks for the input. your explanation is pretty much exactly what i did for the top nut.
Unread 09-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Your welcome and yup itís a tight fit especially on the pass side.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.