Front sway bar relocation - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-17-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Crash110984
2008 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Front sway bar relocation

When I adjusted my rock krawler control arms to the appropriate length for my lift it pushed my axle forward. It drives great, and everything lined up good except my sway bar links. When I try to hook them up they run into my springs on both sides. What is everyone with this problem doing to fix this? Should I relocate my sway bar more forward on the frame? I noticed synergy makes a kit for this, it just don't really explain it much from what I can tell. It seems like there would be more of a market for this problem.

Last edited by Crash110984; 09-17-2017 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-18-2017, 10:14 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I just went out and looked at mine - 3.25 lift, sway bar level - yes spring is pushed fwd but there is still enough room between end and spring that spring would be bound up on bump tube long before hitting sway bar.

However I noted that if my links were a two inches shorter they would be in the spring...

What lift ht and what link length (or rather is link end of bar at, above or below level with ground when connected)?

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-19-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Crash110984
2008 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I have the 3.5 lift, and I added 1 inch spacer to it. I don't think I'm lifted 4.5 inches, it seems more like 4. I have a lot of weight in aftermarket parts on my jeep. So what I did was add a quarter inch to the measurements on the front control arms. Do you think that was to much? Right now aside from the sway bar being disconnected all the time it drives great on the road and Offroad. My sway bar is lifted up all the way right now, and if I try to lower it the bar itself will hit the spring.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-19-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Crash110984
2008 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I have the 3.5 lift, and I added 1 inch spacer to it. I don't think I'm lifted 4.5 inches, it seems more like 4. I have a lot of weight in aftermarket parts on my jeep weighing it down. So what I did was add a quarter inch to the measurements on the front control arms. Do you think that was to much? Right now aside from the sway bar being disconnected all the time, it drives great on the road and Offroad. My sway bar is lifted up all the way right now, and if I try to lower it the bar itself will hit the spring. My shocks and spings and completely vertical as they should be.

Last edited by Crash110984; 09-19-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Add more
post #5 of 10 Old 09-19-2017, 09:48 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
How bout a picture of coil spring.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-20-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Crash110984
2008 JK Wrangler 

Garage
post #7 of 10 Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 AM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash110984 View Post
Photo Bucket for the win.............

You would have to have set that front forward a lot to get bind. what is your wheel to wheel center? perhaps when you set up the arms you did not use center to center? If thats binding i bet the track bar must be rubbing the dif cover at stuff.

I am guessing it is a 2 door? if so the wheel base center to center is 95.4 stock. On my 2 door jkr with a 4.6 lift. I have set the wheel base at weight no added gear to 97.4" rear is 1.6" and .3 front since you have less room to move the front. I have more room up front to move but not to much. I would have to remove the springs to cycle it since at least on mine the issue will be the trackbar and the dif.

How long are your front sway links and what is the shocks free length over stock? I have 11" front shocks and to keep the sway from inverting at full flex or droop. the sway links are 12" center to center. to the eye this means the sway bar is up a bit, not level. at level it will invert.

setting up a 2 door for 4.5 In the rear your track bar axle mount is not aligned and the bump stops tend to hit the frame trackbar mount. springs get WAY bowed. when you push the rear back makes all this worse. In the end to get this right you need to cut off the bump stop pads, trackbar mount and spring pads on the axle and weld them in the correct clocking.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 Old 09-20-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Crash110984
2008 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Sounds like I have some work ahead of me. Mine is a 2 door. It's yellow like yours. Do you have Instagram. I'll follow you if you do. Mine is Rocksteady_jk. My trackbar is not hitting the diff cover. I figured it would also and checked before I posted. I'm not sure all those measurements, but I'll try and figure it all out with the help of some local friends. I appreciate your help and detailed response.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-21-2017, 08:26 AM
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

OP, if your sway bar is hitting the springs you have the control arms adjusted out too far (too long). On a 3? - 4? lift with stock length arms a good starting point is 23 1/8? for the lowers, with the uppers adjusted to get the best caster & pinion angle compromise. If you extend the lowers past about 23 1/4? you?re going to get spring bow, sway bar contact and other issues.

Jeeps: Where my 401(k) went to die!
post #10 of 10 Old 09-22-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Crash110984
2008 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Great! Thank you. I will adjust them to those specs. I think thatís what the instructions stated for A 3.5 inch lift, but I added 1/4 inch extra since I had 1 inch spacers on the springs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.