Front Speaker Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Front Speaker Replacement

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 06-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
KNOCKOUT
2007 JK Wrangler 

Front Speaker Replacement

Has anyone attempted to replace the front 6 1/2" midbass speakers located inside the dash? The stock speaker covers seem to be part of the side panels of the dash. Anyone have any advice or experience here and want to share??? Thanks so much!!! Need to get some sound improvement ASAP!!!

Unread 06-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
BIGKernel44
2007 JK Wrangler 

i could be wrong but when i was searching for replacements for mine they list them as 6 3/4 speakers
BIGKernel44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
KNOCKOUT
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am wondering what the easiest way to get to the speakers is... seems to be part of the dash and didn't know if it was going to really be that much of a pain to get off, and if someone has figured out the easiest way to get to them... Thanks! And, as far as the speaker size, we have 6 1/2s and they fit. I am sure a 6 3/4 would fit also... alright, thanks again for any help or suggestions
Unread 06-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I had the factory premium system in mine and I yanked it out. I replaced the dash speakers with 6020CS 6 1/2" Infintiy components. These require an amplifier to sound their best. See my thread entitled My JK Finally
Unread 06-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
ksjeep226

Check this out...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/new-stereo-system-installed-392338/
ksjeep226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
BIGKernel44
2007 JK Wrangler 

not to jack your thread, but 6 1/2's fit the dash and the roll bars then correct? is there any info on a wiring harness and dash kit available yet? I was told Metra makes the dash installation kit but I can't find any harnesses out there yet and I would really like to avoid splicing the wires. I just traded my 2004 wrangler in for this 2007 and I got to put all the stock stuff back in because I used harnesses for everything.
BIGKernel44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
KNOCKOUT
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yes, 6 1/2s in dash and roll bars. Did you check with Crutchfield on the wiring harness? They are usually a pretty good start if you haven't done that already. They were able to tell us what would work in there. The only thing was that they were saying that the Polk speakers we got for the speaker bar would be too big, but we got it to work. One note- the holes are bigger than the speakers, so you'll have to use speaker adapter brackets, which came with ours through Crutchfield since they knew what we were using them for. Anyway, check their site, or call them and see if they can help.
Unread 06-05-2007, 04:51 AM   #8
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

If you have the factory Infinity system, the head unit harness is around $124 and if you don't, it's $90, so it's not going to be a freebie like with most crutchfield purchases. Crutchfield doesn't even carry it yet, but they do give you the dash kit for free when you buy a headunit from them. Here is the link for the head unit harness:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=9979
Unread 06-11-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
road-king
2007 JK Wrangler 

I ordered 6 1/2" Polk for the roll bar, and 6 1/2" Polk components for the dash from Crutchfield. They included the correct wiring adapter for the speakers and the speaker brackets. The bracket screw holes didn't line up perfectly, but that wasn't a problem. I also clipped the connectors off the front wiring adapter because I was using components. I also had to trim the stock tweeter housings to get the aftermarket ones to fit.

More importantly, what I thought was going to be an hour long job took me 6!!! I would like to meet the designer of the dash and slap him so hard his grandchildren will feel it.

It boggles my mind that they didn't have seperate covers like the TJ. Hello! Jeeps get wet and speaker replacement is a fact of life... Luckily the Polk's I got are marine rated so hopefully they will survive a little rain water.

Current: 2007 Wrangler X Unlimited / 4-dr / 4-wd
Previous: 2004 Wrangler Sport
Previous: 1996 Wrangler Sport
road-king is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #10
Squint

Quote:
Originally Posted by road-king
Jeeps get wet and speaker replacement is a fact of life...
So is theft. What's worse: the labor involved or the cost, but I feel your pain.
07 JK 2 Door X; Bright Silver; Auto; package 24C; tow hooks; fog lights; Incubus Alloy Type 511 17x9 (4.53" backspacing); 305/70R17 Summit Mud Dawg M/T tires; Daystar 1 3/4" BB w/ Skyjacker Hydro 7000 shocks; Hella 500 driving lights; Hidden Hitch; Mastercraft 3" grab handles; Alpine CDA-9857; MTX 6.5" fr speakers; Cobra 18 WX ST II; power adders: JeepForum.com sticker :)
Squint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2007, 06:48 PM   #11
xx94cherokeexx

is there an amp to power the sub that comes with the premium sound? is there an amp hidden some where?
xx94cherokeexx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2007, 07:27 AM   #12
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

The amplifier that comes with the factory premium infinity system powers all four speakers and the subwoofer. It is located under the steering column behind the lower access panel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.