Front speaker box....... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Front speaker box.......

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
rondawg

Front speaker box.......

I replaced the stock speakers with infinity components, the new speakers sounded tinny. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking about stuffing some foam in the boxes behind the speaker to see if this will help. Has anyone tried that also? And have decided to try a different speaker to see if that was the problem. I bought Polk Mommo which are supposed to be incredible! Time will tell.

rondawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Look at the power ratings of the speakers you bought. If the power rating is high, then that means they are meant to be driven by an amplifier. Speakers that require an amplifier that are driven off of the head unit alone will sound shallow even if they are expensive.
Unread 06-17-2007, 12:32 AM   #3
Laxstar46

Polk mommos are excellent. I love mine. I run 4x6's in my front and 6.5's in my soundbar of my TJ. great speakers. when you say components do you mean they have a seperate tweeter and woofer assmebly or just a regualr coax speaker. If you bought components those are strictly meant to be with an amplifier. most coax speakers can run on a deck and be just fine even if they have apower rating higher than that. almost all speakers are rated at an RMS of about 40. the higher up models are higher but most are right around 40. and no h/u alone will pump out 40 rms some of the best put out 20. that's about it. but I wouldn't worry about that. If they are soudning tinny then your tweeter is overpowering your woofer. try reducing treble on the h/u to possibly get rid of that tinniness.
Laxstar46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I installed a pair of speaker baffles with Infiniti speakers up front for my TJ. It's basically a molded foam enclosure that mounts back side of speaker, designed to push sound towards front. Sounds definately improved, richer. Got mine from crutchfield.com
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
liquids
2008 JK Wrangler 

I installed Boston components in my Dakota a few years ago. Ran into the same issue, but the supplied crossovers had three separate jumper switches for how much power you wanted going to the tweeters: 0, -2db, and -4db. At the -2db setting they were strong. I kept my high-end eq settings low on the head unit.

Btw, I don't believe the hype about the components "wanting" to be driven by an amp.

Have Fun Out There.
Jeep
liquids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

if you installed components, did you replace the tweeters also? If you did then you have to buy aftermarket crossover for it because the stock one will sound like crap. I tried using the stock wiring and just change tweeters and it sounded "tinny" to me also so I had to use the ones that my polk speakers came with, that fixed it right up.

It is true that components need a lot of power, I wouldnt expect them to sound good off any h/u without an amp.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.