Front End Question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Front End Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #16
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic
I have a shimmy on my XJ at 55 MPH. Doesn't matter what set of tires I have on it (have 3 sets). I have an entirely new front axle (different story), new ball joints, wheel bearings and balanced tirese. It just happens.
That sounds like a bent or out of balance driveshaft.

2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #17
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
That sounds like a bent or out of balance driveshaft.
I had to run without the front driveshaft for a year. Pinion bearing went bad and caused extreme vibes. Still had it happening. It's entirely possible that the tires just happen to have bad belts.

Mine isn't a death wobble. Had that happen once on a stock TJ rubicon. Not cool.
Unread 09-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #18
Drummer63
JK Wrangler 

Good Day Everyone. Doing some investigating into the vibration concerns on 07 Wrangler. The vibration is coming from the tires. The dealer is giving me credit back of half the original cost which I think is great considering they have 60,000 miles on them. My next questions is, "What is the biggest tire size I can put on there without a lift kit? I am currently using 255 70 18. I am trying to get a more aggressive tire look without the lift. Thank you in advance for your replies.
Drummer63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #19
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer63 View Post
Good Day Everyone. Doing some investigating into the vibration concerns on 07 Wrangler. The vibration is coming from the tires. The dealer is giving me credit back of half the original cost which I think is great considering they have 60,000 miles on them. My next questions is, "What is the biggest tire size I can put on there without a lift kit? I am currently using 255 70 18. I am trying to get a more aggressive tire look without the lift. Thank you in advance for your replies.
From the FAQ at the top of this forum.

The JK with stock wheels, no wheel spacer, no lift

32" tires: no rubbing
33" tires: minimal rubbing unless extended bumpstops used
35" tires: don't try unless extended bumpstops used

IMO big tires no lift kind of makes the jeep look like something is off, even lowered. I'd consider some small spring spacers, a leveling kit.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #20
Drummer63
JK Wrangler 

Thank you Filthy-Beast. I will definitely keep reference to your post. I will check with the tire dealer to see what the height of the new tire is.
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #21
Drummer63
JK Wrangler 

Hello Everyone. Just a quick update on the front end shimmy at 55 MPH. I replaced the tires due to a factory defect, they replaced them with a huge credit back. We also, forced balanced the tires all the way around. That solved all my concerns. Thank you all kindly for your help.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.