Front End Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Front End Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Drummer63
JK Wrangler 

Front End Question

Hello everyone. I have a 2007 4DR Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. I am having issues with minor shaking at the front end. This normally occurs when speed reaches 55 MPH. I had the tires rotated and balanced. I also had the alignment checked, its fine. Any suggestions offered will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Drummer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer63
Hello everyone. I have a 2007 4DR Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. I am having issues with minor shaking at the front end. This normally occurs when speed reaches 55 MPH. I had the tires rotated and balanced. I also had the alignment checked, its fine. Any suggestions offered will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Speed related shakes are always attributed to rotating mass. If you can recreate the shake at always the same speed then that's what you have. Therefore it's either tire and wheel or driveshafts.
You could have a tire or wheel that's bent or out of round, wheel balance may not always fix. Rotate the tires again using the spare in see if that changes or gets rid of the shake.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My LJ had bad wheel bearings that caused the shimmy at speeds of 53 to 60 and then would smooth out at 70.

Planman thread will help you find it. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...bbles-1052221/

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
invest2m4
2013 JK Wrangler 

Try the Northridge 4x4 bolt kit. Replaces the LCA bolts and track bar bolts with 9/16 bolts (stock bolts aren't the right size). Just did it on my 2013 and it made a notable difference and fixed an issue I was having. $40 and an hour of your time. It's surprising how sloppy the stock bolts feel in there.
invest2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
invest2m4
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast
My LJ had bad wheel bearings that caused the shimmy at speeds of 53 to 60 and then would smooth out at 70. Planman thread will help you find it. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...bbles-1052221/
Adding to my comment about the bolt kit, Planman recommends it in his video.
invest2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Drummer63
JK Wrangler 

Thank you for your comments.

Jeff, I will do the easiest first and follow your recommendation of rotating the tires.

Again, thank you.
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

No problem, I hope that solve your problem. Tire rotation is cheapest and easiest place to start. Bolt kits and suspension parts have absolutely nothing to do with speed related shimmies and shakes. Suspension related shakes will/can occur at any speed and cannot be recreated at any certain speed. Speed shakes are rotational mass related found in driveline parts past the transmission/transfer case such as tires, wheels, driveshafts etc.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
No problem, I hope that solve your problem. Tire rotation is cheapest and easiest place to start. Bolt kits and suspension parts have absolutely nothing to do with speed related shimmies and shakes. Suspension related shakes will/can occur at any speed and cannot be recreated at any certain speed. Speed shakes are rotational mass related found in driveline parts past the transmission/transfer case such as tires, wheels, driveshafts etc.
True, but an imbalanced tire can trigger a suspension related shimmy at a certain speed. On a 2007 it would be a good idea to walk through Planman's guide and check all the typical places for loose or worn parts. Odds are very high you'll find some parts that need correction and if left they will only get worse.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
True, but an imbalanced tire can trigger a suspension related shimmy at a certain speed. On a 2007 it would be a good idea to walk through Planman's guide and check all the typical places for loose or worn parts. Odds are very high you'll find some parts that need correction and if left they will only get worse.
You just said it !!! "An unbalanced tire can trigger" ... The unbalanced tire starts the DW at a certain speed. If you didn't have loose parts it would only stay as a minor tire shake or shimmy. That tire is still the rotational mass in the scenario...
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

We need to help the OP find this problem before changing parts that can possibly compound the problem. Then he will really be lost.

Don't get me wrong, with it being an 07 I strongly suggest having the front end thoroughly inspected for worm and loose parts, however, we need to sort out one thing at a time.

I never change more then one part at a time when I am modifying or trouble shooting. If you change more then one thing at a time you will never know the true effect of each part on the rest of the system.
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Perfectly balanced tire no shimmy, tire with mud shimmy at 53MPH, clean tire no shimmy. Perfect balance and no shimmy didn't change the fact that the wheel bearings were worn.

My point is do the preventive maintenance of walking through Planman's guide. I'm not telling the guy to spend money and throw parts at it. Just to check for worn parts.

Unread 09-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Perfectly balanced tire no shimmy, tire with mud shimmy at 53MPH, clean tire no shimmy. Perfect balance and no shimmy didn't change the fact that the wheel bearings were worn. My point is do the preventive maintenance of walking through Planman's guide. I'm not telling the guy to spend money and throw parts at it. Just to check for worn parts.
You are correct, a rock stuck in the tread of an M/T tire can throw a tire out of balance, but bearings are not rotational mass and will not cause speed related wobble. They can cause a well balanced tire to wobble at any speed just like any other steering or suspension components. Like I said, I'm not saying he shouldn't check other components for wear, just solve this one first.
Unread 09-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #13
brighton
2010 JK Wrangler 

I had a speed-related shimmy (between 50 and 55 mph) for about 6 months after I installed new tires. To try to track down the cause of the shimmy I checked the suspension, ball joints, etc. and nothing was loose or worn. I had my tires rotated and balanced several times. Then I took the advice to have my tires road-force balanced. No more shimmy.
Unread 09-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
Drummer63
JK Wrangler 

Thank you for all the input. I will post an update to let all know what was found/determined.
Unread 09-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
My LJ had bad wheel bearings that caused the shimmy at speeds of 53 to 60 and then would smooth out at 70.

Planman thread will help you find it. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...bbles-1052221/
I have a shimmy on my XJ at 55 MPH. Doesn't matter what set of tires I have on it (have 3 sets). I have an entirely new front axle (different story), new ball joints, wheel bearings and balanced tirese.

It just happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.