Front End Frame Damage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Front End Frame Damage

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 11-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
danny0291

Front End Frame Damage

Hi,
I have an 09' Jeep Wrangler 2dr that recently sustained some front end damage. Long story short, I will need a new bumper (it's an opportunity to upgrade from stock at least) and fog lights. Better than it could have been, I suppose. However, when looking closer at the damage, I saw that it looks like the front frame, just behind the frame horns has crumpled/bent a bit (I'll try to get a pic at some point) on the drivers and passengers side. It doesn't appear to be a huge amount of damage, but enough that I think it can't be ignored. I think this is the extent of the damage but I do plan to take it in to a couple shops to have them take a look. I can replace the bumper/fog lights myself but was wondering if anyone here had any ideas as far as what I'm looking at for the frame repair (assuming that the only damage is the damage I saw). How is this repair typically done, is the old part cut out and then an insert welded in? Does anyone have any experience with this or ideas as far as how much this repair could cost? I won't be able to take it in to have it looked at this week so I was hoping that someone could have some insight into what I'm looking at here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

danny0291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The frame rails just behind the front bumper are designed to crumple, possibly preventing damage to the rest of the frame.

The old ones are cut off; new ones welded on.
They are available from the dealer for ≈$600 apiece. Probably a lot cheaper elsewhere.

As you said, get things looked at by a body shop.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Found this somewhere along my travels. Check out this website:

https://public.me.com/daspes

Go to: Vehicle Tech Files -> Jeep -> Wrangler -> JK -> Wrangler JK 07-10 Body Repair Manual

Download the pdf. Shows how to repair the front end, old one is cut out, new crumple zones welded in. Shows measurements for chassis, including cross-corner measurements.
SubAtomicGenius is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
jrmandryck
2008 JK Wrangler 

Assuming it's just that part of the frame you'll be ok, but depending on how hard or the story behind the damage I'd check to make sure the frame is still squared up
Unread 11-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
danny0291

Thanks for the replies. Definitely a lot of good info here.
danny0291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
thedude386
2011 JK Wrangler 

Def make sure your frame is squared away. When I crashed my first JK, there was a substantial amount of frame damaged, to the point where the entire tub was bent on the frame. It was declared a total loss.
thedude386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
drroy
2012 JK Wrangler 

tell tale signs of frame damage are uneven door/hood seams or doors that now stick but I am sure you would have noticed obvious things like that.
Frame repair isn't actually that costly but is something that you need specialized equipment for. Essentially the truck is driven up on a rack, the frame is then secured to the rack and measured, to see if it is straight, square, level, ect. After it is measured it is pulled/ pushed knocked into spec. The shop I have used charges $65/hr for frame repair, about 2 hrs to bolt it in and measure then a a few hrs to get it straight, If it takes more than 2-4 hrs to get straight, probably not worth repairing
drroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage , frame , front , repair

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.