Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Front End Frame Damage

10K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  drroy 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have an 09' Jeep Wrangler 2dr that recently sustained some front end damage. Long story short, I will need a new bumper (it's an opportunity to upgrade from stock at least) and fog lights. Better than it could have been, I suppose. However, when looking closer at the damage, I saw that it looks like the front frame, just behind the frame horns has crumpled/bent a bit (I'll try to get a pic at some point) on the drivers and passengers side. It doesn't appear to be a huge amount of damage, but enough that I think it can't be ignored. I think this is the extent of the damage but I do plan to take it in to a couple shops to have them take a look. I can replace the bumper/fog lights myself but was wondering if anyone here had any ideas as far as what I'm looking at for the frame repair (assuming that the only damage is the damage I saw). How is this repair typically done, is the old part cut out and then an insert welded in? Does anyone have any experience with this or ideas as far as how much this repair could cost? I won't be able to take it in to have it looked at this week so I was hoping that someone could have some insight into what I'm looking at here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
The frame rails just behind the front bumper are designed to crumple, possibly preventing damage to the rest of the frame.

The old ones are cut off; new ones welded on.
They are available from the dealer for ≈$600 apiece. Probably a lot cheaper elsewhere.

As you said, get things looked at by a body shop.

#7 ·
tell tale signs of frame damage are uneven door/hood seams or doors that now stick but I am sure you would have noticed obvious things like that.
Frame repair isn't actually that costly but is something that you need specialized equipment for. Essentially the truck is driven up on a rack, the frame is then secured to the rack and measured, to see if it is straight, square, level, ect. After it is measured it is pulled/ pushed knocked into spec. The shop I have used charges $65/hr for frame repair, about 2 hrs to bolt it in and measure then a a few hrs to get it straight, If it takes more than 2-4 hrs to get straight, probably not worth repairing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.