Front driveshaft conundrum - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Front driveshaft conundrum

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

Front driveshaft conundrum

Ok, so here is my story. I had a tatton front driveshaft installed while I had my 5.13 gears installed and have been having major issues with vibrations.

The first shaft, no matter what I set the pinion at, it vibrated. Sent the shaft back, got a new one in, installed it, it still vibed. So...to eliminate balance being an issue, I brought it to a local driveline shop and had it rebalanced, put the shaft back on, set it at within 3 degrees of the pinion, and IT STILL VIBES!! Just to make it known, each time the shaft is removed, the vibration is eliminated completely.

Specs on my rig are 2.5 inch RK lift, 6 speed, 35 inch MTRs w K, 5.13 gears.

Does anyone, have any ideas as to what else would cause a perfectly balanced and aligned driveshaft to vibrate? Again, just to reiterate, I only experience the vibrations what the shaft is installed. Thanks.

08 JK/6 speed/2 Door/soft top--35x12.5x17 GY MTR's--ATX slot's--R.K. Stock Mod--Smittybilt rocker guards--PSC evap skid--PSC tramp stamp--Hella 500 black magic's--RK drag link. Pure Jeep axle knuckle/gusset kit.
Rdlynch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
cabotgsxr86
2010 JK Wrangler 

I hope it's not indicative of all of Tatons shafts. I have a set in my spare room to go with the 3.5" rk x-factor lift sitting beside them.
cabotgsxr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

I hope you dont experience the nightmare I have experienced with this shaft either.
08 JK/6 speed/2 Door/soft top--35x12.5x17 GY MTR's--ATX slot's--R.K. Stock Mod--Smittybilt rocker guards--PSC evap skid--PSC tramp stamp--Hella 500 black magic's--RK drag link. Pure Jeep axle knuckle/gusset kit.
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

Bump, anyone?
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

It's possible that the pinion yoke or flange got bent in the process of removal or installation durring the re-gear.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I encountered a weird issue yesterday which had me stumped although it may or may not apply here...my, balanced front drive shaft, with newer u-joints was vibrating at lower speeds. It turned out to be a faulty slip joint. The joint had noticeable play at low speeds.

Just because the burden of proof rests on you, I'd be curious if the problem persists in 4high with the rear shaft removed.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
DrHolliday

2011 JK Wrangler 

If the shaft balances out fine then I'd be looking at the front pinion. Does the pinion yoke have any up/down/in/out play to it? That would indicate either your pinion was set up wrong or that your pinion bearings are shot.

My build thread
DrHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
taoshum
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'd probably start looking somewhere else besides the DS...guess that's obvious but after all you've done already, must be something else
Unread 06-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #9
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHolliday
If the shaft balances out fine then I'd be looking at the front pinion. Does the pinion yoke have any up/down/in/out play to it? That would indicate either your pinion was set up wrong or that your pinion bearings are shot.
I'm tending to agree here. You said you had gears installed.. I would check there now.
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #10
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIJeepJC View Post
I'm tending to agree here. You said you had gears installed.. I would check there now.
X2 for this. I put the teraflex dual carden driveshaft on my 2012 a few weeks ago and have had zero issues with vibration in any conditions. Something other than the driveshaft is tweaked.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
sethhawk1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Woah I accidentally strayed into the wrong section.

I had a problem with a driveline vibration on my Tj and it drove me absolutely nuts and I was eating through u joints. I tried replacing the drive shaft and rebalancing the new drive shaft and then rebalancing the old drive shaft to no avail.

The problem ended up being that the output shaft on my transfer case was ever so slightly bent. After replacing the output shaft I've been enjoying vibe free driving every since.

I would spin your pinion and output shaft and watch for lateral movement.
sethhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

The tugged on both the front pinion and tcase pinion and there does not appear to be any play. I guess the only way to tell for sure would be to put a gopro cam under there and watch as it spins. Idk but it is driving me nuts. I have never heard of anyone having such problems with CV carden shaft at only 2.5 inches lift. At this point; im just gonna go back to the stock shaft and run it till it dies I guess and try another shaft down the road....Thanks for the suggestions guys
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
sethhawk1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdlynch2
The tugged on both the front pinion and tcase pinion and there does not appear to be any play. I guess the only way to tell for sure would be to put a gopro cam under there and watch as it spins. Idk but it is driving me nuts. I have never heard of anyone having such problems with CV carden shaft at only 2.5 inches lift. At this point; im just gonna go back to the stock shaft and run it till it dies I guess and try another shaft down the road....Thanks for the suggestions guys
If its bent your not going to be able to tug on it. Your not going to need a camera either just jack it up remove the shaft spin and check for lateral movement.
sethhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #14
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHolliday View Post
Wouldnt a bad pinion bearing manifest even without the front driveshaft on though? I mean, it is still spinning even with it off.....idk
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #15
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well....putting the stock driveline back on will definitely cut the problem in half.. If you still have bad vibes, then the problem becomes more ovbious. Probably worth the hour of your time....
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.