Front Dana 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Front Dana 44

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Front Dana 44

I have a 2012 Jeep with a dana 30 in the front how difficult/Expensive would it be to bump it up to a 44?

cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
TheHuntsman
2012 JK Wrangler 

Good question. I look forward to hearing answers and opinions as I plan to eventually upgrade my front axle to a 44, and my rear to a 60 eventually.
TheHuntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHuntsman
Good question. I look forward to hearing answers and opinions as I plan to eventually upgrade my front axle to a 44, and my rear to a 60 eventually.
If I do it or get it done I will document my trials.

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
Unread 06-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
TheHuntsman
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
If I do it or get it done I will document my trials.
Awesome! Thanks!
TheHuntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

for the cost of going to 44, not worth it. might as well go 60. no reason to do any of this unless you wheel hard core trails with 37+. i would bet that no one in this is going to be running 4+ in a 012.
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
for the cost of going to 44, not worth it. might as well go 60. no reason to do any of this unless you wheel hard core trails with 37+.
Agreed, and even in that instance, you're mostly inhibited by a smaller pinion than the D44. Sleeve, gusset, and axle shafts for a profound improvement at a less expensive cost than buying, rebuilding, and installing an assembly.

I personally wheel with two rigs that have armored D30s, one TJ HP, and one JK. Both do just fine even on the "hard core" trails.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove

Agreed, and even in that instance, you're mostly inhibited by a smaller pinion than the D44. Sleeve, gusset, and axle shafts for a profound improvement at a less expensive cost than buying, rebuilding, and installing an assembly.

I personally wheel with two rigs that have armored D30s, one TJ HP, and one JK. Both do just fine even on the "hard core" trails.
Thanks for the advice I guess I will keep it stock and start working on a small lift

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
Thanks for the advice I guess I will keep it stock and start working on a small lift
I'm not saying that there are not better axles out there...obviously there are. But cost:benefit:use, well you get the point.
Unread 06-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
FastHotRod

I saw that Quadratec has a Rubicon Dana 44 front axle for $3099.99

An extra $130 will get you the wiring harness and switch plate for the electronics. But as these guys said, you will spend less to improve your Dana 30.

Like these guys said, if you are looking to go hard core then stepping up to a Dana 60 may be a better bet. There are a few companies out there that have brackets and kits, and you can even buy complete axles if that's your thing.

I've seen JK specific Ford 9/Dana 60 front axles from Currie for about $5k that are complete from hub to hub. If you wanted to spend less, you can get a Ford 9/Dana 60 front axle for about $3,500 ~ $3,800 if you decided to use your stock outer knuckles. More info here.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
FastHotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
Alaska-HWY JK

Go to Northridge 4x4 website to price out a Dynatrac Prorock 44.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Everything is relative for the front axles, and like Molshove said, you have to balance intended use with cost.

D30 sleeved and gusseted for around $150-250 not incl. labor. Re-gear and locker extra. Cheap - but downside is small ring gear and bent tubes/C's if you don't weld them up. However, most won't have issues unless you severely beat your rig.

Mopar "Rubi" D44 front axle assembly ball-park $3000, comes with 4.10's and locker. Downside: axle tubes and outer "C's" are same size as D30, so you're probably better off sleeving and gusseting, too. Plus you'd either have to re-gear your current rear D44 or put new gears in the front D44. So, factoring all of this in, you're better off to go to the next option...

ProRock 44 ball-park $3800-4000 with gears and locker. Downside: $$ price. However, when compared to the price paid for a Mopar D44, the base ProRock 44 has 5/16" axle tube walls and beefy C's that are much stronger than Stock D44. Much like a stock D44 with beefier tubes, mounts and 1-ton C's. Spend an extra $80 and you get massive 1/2" tube walls that are 182% stronger than a stock D44!!! IMHO, the best upgrade if you are looking for a D44 from a D30.

Teraflex TERA44 is ball park the same as the ProRock 44, however I don't believe Teraflex sells their D44 assembled - so you have to do this yourself or have it done (possibly more expensive than Dynatrac then). They use large OD tube walls with standard thickness to produce a D44 that has a higher strength-to-weight ratio than sleeving and/or getting heavy-walled tubes.

ProRock 60 ball-park $6000 with gears and locker. Downside: $$$ price/weight. Totally awesome though - even if nearly 1-1/2 times cost of the ProRock 44.

Then of course you can upgrade with RCV CV shafts, 1350 Yolks and Driveshafts, and rebuildable ball joints.... and another $2500...
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
JKChris
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post

I am in a similar situation as the OP. I am considering bumping my D30 up to a D44. I just recently lifted and added 35s. I am in looking to re-gear and add lockers all in one shot. Right now, my Jeep is my only vehicle so I am not looking to badly abuse it in the short term. My long term goal, however, is to eventually buy another car and keep the Jeep as a toy. Then, I will be more tempted to beat on it. So, my question is this...

Since I am in the position where I am going to need a re-gear and lockers (front and rear), am I a better candidate for the front axle upgrade that I could have built with what I want, or do you still think I should stick with my D30 and build it up (gears, locker, sleeves, gussets)?

Thanks for the input

Chris
JKChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKChris View Post
I am in a similar situation as the OP. I am considering bumping my D30 up to a D44. I just recently lifted and added 35s. I am in looking to re-gear and add lockers all in one shot. Right now, my Jeep is my only vehicle so I am not looking to badly abuse it in the short term. My long term goal, however, is to eventually buy another car and keep the Jeep as a toy. Then, I will be more tempted to beat on it. So, my question is this...

Since I am in the position where I am going to need a re-gear and lockers (front and rear), am I a better candidate for the front axle upgrade that I could have built with what I want, or do you still think I should stick with my D30 and build it up (gears, locker, sleeves, gussets)?

Thanks for the input

Chris
Price both options out...if you're going to throw a 44 in, do it the right way and buy a prorock 44. $4,500 with RCVs, locker, gears. $3,500 with chromoly instead of RCVs.

Your 30 built, without labor, is going to be about $2,800 (including gears for rear, but no rear locker) with RCVs, or $2,300 with chromoly.

Obviously labor will change these numbers substantially if you're not handling the work yourself.

If the $1,000 ish difference doesn't hurt ya, and you're going to use it, go for the swap. If you do a little soul searching, and you think you won't hold onto it and make it a toy, but trade it in, or sell it, you're spending a lot of money on stuff you won't get back. That's up to you
Unread 06-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #14
JKChris
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply.

I know I could always change my mind, but I really love that Jeep. I just don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon. I am really leaning toward the front 44. Plus, I don't know if there are people out there looking for a D30, but maybe I could minimize the cost a little by selling the stock axle.

Thanks for your input.

Go Bucks!
JKChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKChris
Thanks for the reply.

I know I could always change my mind, but I really love that Jeep. I just don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon. I am really leaning toward the front 44. Plus, I don't know if there are people out there looking for a D30, but maybe I could minimize the cost a little by selling the stock axle.

Thanks for your input.

Go Bucks!
Good luck selling the 30....lol

I have never kept vehicles long term, other than the old family suburban...but I have found that with every dollar I spend on the JK, it becomes more a part of the family. I will be burried in mine, with several others I'm sure.

Moral of the story...spend lots of money, and you'll definitely keep it

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.