Front brake line bracket. What to do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Front brake line bracket. What to do?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 04-19-2015, 05:59 AM   #1
Griffster
2014 JK Wrangler 

Front brake line bracket. What to do?

Hey All,

I installed a 2.5" Teraflex lift on my '14 JK yesterday. The front brake lines have a rolled steel bracket that attaches them to the back of the front spring perch. The brake line isn't long enough to re-attach this bracket. I can't remove the bracket and am unsure what to do with it. I am afraid it is going to get caught in the front spring.

Curious as to what others have done. The instructions with the lift are no help. They just say remove the bracket and route the line between the shock and the spring...

Griffster

Griffster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 06:20 AM   #2
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Get a brake line drop bracket for the frame.

How much lift did you get out of the 2.5" lift?
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 06:34 AM   #3
ncb

You can use large pliers to open the bracket or carefully cut the bracket with a cut-off wheel to free the brake line.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 06:52 AM   #4
Griffster
2014 JK Wrangler 

I didn't measure, but it seems like more than 2.5!! Especially in the front! I'll have to look into the drop bracket. It came with them for the rear, but not the front. Might try the plier thing ncb suggested...
Unread 04-19-2015, 08:08 AM   #5
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

On mine I used a tubing bender to straighten our the bend a bit and opened the bracket some at the hose and of the wrap to free the line. Also a 2.5 - even accommodated a .75 additional puck. I'll shoot up a pic in a bit...
Pic one shows how much I took out of the 90 degree bend - be careful here as it easy to kink if you try to go too far.
Pic 2 shows how I opened the roll a bit (had to unattach the top, attach the hose bracket to hold it - and used a big screwdriver and a twist with vice grips on the shank to open the roll a bit). Then I just pulled the hose about 1/4 inch towards the axle center - shortened the clamp to caliper hose - but not enough to create any problem. That gave me enough room to attach the top bracket.
bline1.jpg   bline2.jpg  
Unread 04-19-2015, 06:21 PM   #6
Griffster
2014 JK Wrangler 

So,

I ended up using a cut off wheel on the bracket. I ran some zip ties through the spring perch loosely around the line to keep it from flopping.

Jwmbishop, thank for the pics. I think our setups are slightly different. I took the upper bracket loose and still wasn't close to having enough brake line. I think I will look into getting braided stainless lines in the near future.
Unread 04-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #7
Z-OR

Nice job Griffster.

I had zero luck, with a multitude of implements of destruction, removing that bracket. I dicked with it for about half an hour, figured my time was worth more and went directly to stainless lines.

:-)
AEV ProCal / VKS sliders
Z-OR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
duneslider
Web Wheeler
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just curious, did they change how the lines are run somewhere in the years? I swear that is not how the lines are on my 2007.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 11:02 PM   #9
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
Just curious, did they change how the lines are run somewhere in the years? I swear that is not how the lines are on my 2007.
Yes they did. Iím not sure what year they changed but the 2012ís are a lot different than my 2008 was. There is now a big *** bracket clamped onto the front brake lines.
Unread 04-19-2015, 11:11 PM   #10
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

The late style lines are really good, you just have to free them from the bracket. I used a Dremel cut off wheel and carefully cut a groove the
length of the bracket. Was able to pry it open and release the line. You can run the line between the shock & spring and secure it with a zip tie to the shock body. Or, you can carefully bend & straighten the metal part of the line at the frame and run it behind the shock.
Unread Yesterday, 10:07 AM   #11
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Would also mention that you can use the late style stock front lines in the rear. Snip off the plastic ABS wire retainers. Use the passenger front for driver rear and vice versa. Carefully bend the frame mounted hard part of the line downward slightly. Use a tubing bender, etc to avoid damage. They work great and they eliminate the need for this universal metal brackets that put aftermarket lines too close to the rear sway bar for comfort.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.