Freedom top off/Driving with the rear glass open - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Freedom top off/Driving with the rear glass open

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
lflr-2012

Freedom top off/Driving with the rear glass open

Driving a JK with the Freedom top off was not pleasant, too much rumble and disturbed air flow in the cabin. I opened the rear glass and it was great. I started getting a little uneasy about driving with the rear glass window open as there is no frame around the glass and though it was too much load on attachment points, etc. I decide to support the glass, but wanted a simple and inexpensive solution. I went to Home Depot, bought two, flat 1/8" thick 3/4" wide by 36" long aluminum stock (P/N 3069944710) and made two identical supports that clip or slide into the hydraulic ram lower posts and run up to each side of the glass lower rubber seal. They are held at the top by a 40" bungie cord. It seems to do the trick. Let me know what you think.

Administrator: I am new to Jeeps and learning the vehicle/s. I posted this in the TJ section a few days ago because there was a thread there already so if you think is redundant feel free to take one down.

dsc07662.jpeg   dsc07663.jpeg   dsc07664.jpeg   dsc07668.jpeg   dsc07669.jpeg  

dsc07671.jpeg   dsc07672.jpeg   img_0605.jpeg  
lflr-2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

That's a cool idea (as I read the beginning, I had the same concern over stress on the mounting points), but I'm not sure it's doing anything with the bungee cord attachment. It's not attached at all to the window, so it's not taking any of the force. The window is still free to move around and bounce, it just has a limit on its range of motion.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
scottz
2008 JK Wrangler 

Also a new JK owner here, with the same concern. Anybody with experience on running with the window open? lflr, how do those supports attach to the window?

Thanks
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Cool idea butÖ

I always thought that running any vehicle with the rear hatch open runs the risk of exhaust fumes entering the cabin. Also it seems like a bad idea too because if the Jeep starts to bounce from road conditions there will be too much stress on the hatch itself.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
scottz
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, I thought about that too; leaving the window open is probably not the best idea.
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
nam1
2010 JK Wrangler 

I've run mine with the freedom top off, the windows down and the liftgate up. Never occurred to me that it could be an issue either from stress on the mounting points or carbon monoxide.

I would think there is enough air coming through that the carbon monoxide hazard would be nonexistent. I would think twice about it if I had the top on, all the windows up, and the liftgate open. :shrug:
Unread 05-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I believe it is in the owners manual not to run with the tailgate glass open due to asphyxiation ....
Having freedom tops off actually creates a vacuum within the cab as air flows over the roof drawing cabin air out. Opening only the rear window will allow exhaust to be drawn in and expelled through the top. Running with all door windows open as well as the back would be safe.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I didnít pay close enough attention to the OPís post about running with the freedom panels off at the same time as the hatch being opened. Probably not much of a concern then concerning carbon monoxide.
Unread 05-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have my fire stick CB antenna mounted the the spare carrier. When I have the glass up and close the gate, the antenna bends and pushes up on the glass and supports it. I run like that with the windows open and doorless all the time with 0 issues. I feel it's kind of a perk of the antenna.
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy18
I have my fire stick CB antenna mounted the the spare carrier. When I have the glass up and close the gate, the antenna bends and pushes up on the glass and supports it. I run like that with the windows open and doorless all the time with 0 issues. I feel it's kind of a perk of the antenna.
I should add, not offroad tho.
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I do have to say that it looks kinda silly with the hatch open while driving. Seen it a couple of times and it just doesn't look right.
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

neat idea
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

If you really want to do that why not just unbolt the rear glass?
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #14
GauchoMark
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have been toying with the idea of making a quick release system to just remove the glass. I just haven't figured it out yet.

Ever since I had a Bronco that the rear glass rolled down, I love driving around with the windows open and the glass out.
GauchoMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Make sure the disconnect is on the inside. And definitely post a thread, I think there would be a lot of interest in something like that.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.