Freedom Top leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Freedom Top leak

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-23-2014, 05:48 AM   #1
Spoony1968
2014 JK Wrangler 

Freedom Top leak

Anyone have a trick to fix Freedom top leaks? Mine's leaking at the windshield latch in the middle and only if the jeep is on an angle (up or downhill).

Spoony1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
AlpineJeep

Me too, I find that really cranking down the "bolts" does help some, but I still get a few drips when I start off driving from a stop.
AlpineJeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

You may have received your jeep with a deformed rubber seal at the Freedom tops-

Otherwise, try this, remove Drivers side first, then passenger side, closely inspect both the tops/gaskets for debris/cuts/obstructions--

Wipe the rubber gasket/top surface with a warm watered cloth and install passenger side first, then drivers side-now

Secure windshield latch's, install rear thumbscrews(just start threads), then secure top latch's progressively starting in front, right/left, right/left, then tighten thumbscrews FINGERTIGHT, NOT KNUCKLETIGHT--

Sorry if that doesn't work for the new jeeps, but has kept mine from leaking for over 5-1/2 tears-

If nothing works--Dealer time, just be prepared to sacrifice your jeep for X days !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
AlpineJeep

Do they warranty against leaks?
Unread 08-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

--YUP--

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineJeep View Post
Do they warranty against leaks?
Just be pleasant and not abusive/aggressive, call the service dept and talk to the manager--

Good luck

JIMBO
Unread 08-23-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
AlpineJeep

I usually scream but I'll try this. LOL. J/k
Unread 08-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Heh Heh, yeah-try my suggestion first, then only call if you have to !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineJeep View Post
I usually scream but I'll try this. LOL. J/k
JIMBO
Unread 08-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
Spoony1968
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
You may have received your jeep with a deformed rubber seal at the Freedom tops-

Otherwise, try this, remove Drivers side first, then passenger side, closely inspect both the tops/gaskets for debris/cuts/obstructions--

Wipe the rubber gasket/top surface with a warm watered cloth and install passenger side first, then drivers side-now

Secure windshield latch's, install rear thumbscrews(just start threads), then secure top latch's progressively starting in front, right/left, right/left, then tighten thumbscrews FINGERTIGHT, NOT KNUCKLETIGHT--

Sorry if that doesn't work for the new jeeps, but has kept mine from leaking for over 5-1/2 tears-

If nothing works--Dealer time, just be prepared to sacrifice your jeep for X days !

JIMBO
Thanks Jimbox,
Will try your suggestion,funny thing is I never took them off as I was worried about leaks.
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
jeepxl
2013 JK Wrangler 

I was getting a leak the other day after a heavy rain storm in the center of the windshield. Looked at the top of the panels, turns out I put it on just a tad crooked and that's where the water came in. It is very important to line them up and make sure the top is setting on the seal correct. No problems since.
jeepxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
2014BlackBetty
2014 JK Wrangler 

I also had this issue when I bought mine brand new last September. I took mine in and they claimed there was nothing wrong with it and that I could have possibly tightened the bolts into the sound bar too tight pulling the back down and the front up enough to allow water to seep in. When I informed them that I wasn't running the bolts because I frequently removed the tops they were stumped. All in all after they water tested it and placed the bolts in the back they claimed it was fixed. Leaked again the next week and the only issue I realized was the rubber strip that is on the latches above the sun visors was folded over a little causing less pressure and allowing the roof to raise just enough that water was coming in and leaking straight in the middle where the 2 pieces connected. So I would say to check those above the visors and make sure they are on perfect as well as making sure not to tighten down the bolts in the soundbar too tight. If that doesn't fix it take it back and tell them to figure it out again. They will eventually buy you a new top or fix the problem.
2014BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
ck1
2014 JK Wrangler 

the trick is to keep the seals and their channels CLEAN and Plyable. also dont slide the tops across the seals..set them on top of them and push/wiggle them down to sit FLUSH all around..if it is not flush at all points it will leak..if all latches operate at the same force then you should be ok..if one is tighter then others then you may have a seal folded over. Also i dont use the rear screws at all...if you use them dont freaking screw them tight..i have yet to have a leak by using this method
Cameron
Unread 08-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #12
jdm45
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoony1968 View Post
Anyone have a trick to fix Freedom top leaks? Mine's leaking at the windshield latch in the middle and only if the jeep is on an angle (up or downhill).
Park flat...

I've had 2 or 3 drips in my 2012, and I can trace each one back to the Freedom Top being recently taken off and put back on by myself in a hurry. Even then, the drips were really only 3-5 drops of water. I get wetter from driving with the windows down.
jdm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2014, 06:51 AM   #13
Spoony1968
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm45 View Post
Park flat...

I've had 2 or 3 drips in my 2012, and I can trace each one back to the Freedom Top being recently taken off and put back on by myself in a hurry. Even then, the drips were really only 3-5 drops of water. I get wetter from driving with the windows down.
This is about what I get 3-5 drips,but its right on my radio .I believe there are other options to fix this problem that may need to be explored on mine as its so intermittent.
Unread 08-31-2014, 02:30 PM   #14
MelJ
2014 JK Wrangler 

I had to take mine in and they replaced the seal. It was warrantied, though...
MelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2014, 02:48 PM   #15
mistert
2012 JK Wrangler 

Leak

Mine dripped several times...once after I washed it so I thought I'd just blasted too much water against it...the other when it was raining real hard.
Took the driver side top off and cleaned the gaskets...no problems since.
mistert is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.