Freedom top - getting front pieces on evenly - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Freedom top - getting front pieces on evenly

Jeep Tweaks at JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 07-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #16
jett78
2011 JK Wrangler 

Take it off or just loosen the bolts and re-tighten? As soon as I push it down, the area towards the middle wants to push towards the front of the vehicle

jett78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #17
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I would take it back to the dealer and ask them to show you how to put them on properly.
When they aren't able to you can ask what they are going to do about it!
Good luck

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #18
jett78
2011 JK Wrangler 

I gotta go pick something up from them on Tuesday anyway...

But check this, if I try to force it to where they are aligned, then the knob won't line up
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #19
williewvr
2013 JK Wrangler 

Need to make sure pins are seated in the holes at front of rear section then tighten evenly. Remember they are trying for production numbers. If your a lineman about the 100th time a day you put a top on you might not care its seated right.
williewvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #20
doosh
2010 JK Wrangler 

Mine is the same, one is a couple of mm closer to the windscreen than the other. Pretty sure it came off the lot like that. I've had them on off, soft top on, hard top back on now and every time they go back on, it looks like that.

Have had no troubles with water leaking in or rain noise - I just accepted it.
doosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #21
jett78
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williewvr View Post
Need to make sure pins are seated in the holes at front of rear section then tighten evenly. Remember they are trying for production numbers. If your a lineman about the 100th time a day you put a top on you might not care its seated right.

Thanks for your help, I'll try that tomorrow after work... getting a bit late and frustrating
Unread 10-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #22
eschwam

Did you end up fixing it? I have the same problem. It's driving me nuts!!!
eschwam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #23
01Mastiff
2014 JK Wrangler 

With the rainy season approaching I would buy a scuba outfit. Mine lines up correctly and I have small waterfalls inside. Very peaceful to listen to but still somewhat annoying. I have fixed this by drinking which also has a calming effect.
01Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #24
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

I virtually never take the things off, but I had to remove them and slide the top back to install a Rock Hard 4x4 cage. Without going off on a tangent here, the bars for the cage were too short and pulled the factory overhead bars out of alignment. There are little indexing holes in those bars that correspond to some plastic posts on the underside of each Freedom Top panel. The pins drop in those holes, etc. I learned there are adjustment bolts for the side bars, accessible through the upper of two holes in the plastic trim pieces at the upper corners of the windshield frame. They are usually rather loose. Tighten them to pull the bars outward, loosen to let the bars float inward a bit. When you get them right you should be able to drop the little plastic guide at the outer front edge of the top panel into the slot in the weatherstrip and have the panel drop into place. If they are aligned right the gaps should be relatively even in front, rear and down the center. TRICKY to get right.

Back to my Rock Hard 4x4 cage install, the over head bar bent the side bars inward and the adjuster bolts wouldn't correct the misalignment. To get the tops to fit right I had to slot one of those indexing holes enough to allow the top to center.
Unread 10-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #25
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I had trouble with the forward drivers side freedom top interference/w the Rockhard too-

Since it had been a "no leak" top for years--I didn't change any of the top alignment/seals/pins--

I relieved (Dremel) the inside outter face of the drivers top, untill I could fit a playing card around the Rockhard fitting-

The top fits fine, no leaky and the Rockhard is solid as a rock !

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2014, 07:45 AM   #26
oscrfsh

I'd like to sew a pick of the blocks that flip down on the front freedom panels . I don't think I have those on my 2010
oscrfsh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #27
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just take your hardtop Freedom panel off--and look at the rear underside-

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscrfsh View Post
I'd like to sew a pick of the blocks that flip down on the front freedom panels . I don't think I have those on my 2010
What do you think the two rear thumbscrews screw into ?

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #28
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

If anyone is having trouble seating the freedom panels in a watertight manner, it's possible the rest of the hard top is to blame.

Try loosening the tub bolts to relieve any stress, then install the freedom panels, then tighten the tub bolts.

The top has guide pins but only at the front corners. It could be skewed enough to allow water in.
Jiblet is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #29
VICTIM_OF_PAIN
2008 JK Wrangler 

Make sure all weatherstripping is tucked inside and not binding up. That will push a panel back a bit.

[B]Ex - 2001 Wrangler, 2" BB, 32" BGF AT's. JKS Quicker Disconnects, Oil Pan Skid, Steering Box Skid. Hard Top, Soft Top, Safari Top, Olympic Mountaineer Rack.[/B][/COLOR]

Current - 2008 Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon. Rock Krawler Stock Mod 2.5" lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-Windows, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Rugged Ridge E-Disco Skid, and a Skid Row Evap Canister Skid plate.

[B]It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool.... than to open it and remove all doubt[/B].
VICTIM_OF_PAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
freedom top , install , straight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.