Freedom hardtop Wind noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Freedom hardtop Wind noise

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle TrussARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 03-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
NJelectrik1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Freedom hardtop Wind noise

does anyone know how to solve the wind noise problem with the 3 piece freedom hardtop?

it seems to whistle at around 45mph , which goes away and becomes just more of a a wind noise at higher speed , sort of like driving with a window open a tad

any advise is greatly appreciated

NJelectrik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Grizzly1
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have a bit of wind noise myself, but I dont think I have any "whistle". I attribute it to the windshield being at a 90 degree angle..... Zero areodynamics..... Thin rook with no insulation....
There is always going to be some wind noise.

Still, if yours is worse than normal, ensure the seals on your top are good, and ensure you are attaching them properly. Check all your door seals as well. I am sure therewill be more comments from others here. There is a lot of knowledge on the forum, I hope it helps.

Grizzly
Grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
aaluotto

I recently am having the same problem. All I can think is the rubber seal where the two tops meet is pushed down.
aaluotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Remove top and doors, drive 70 MPH. You will then understand wind noise. Re-install hard-top. Problem solved.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Dale_K

I've read some threads where people get a whistle that's actually coming from the little gap between the windshield and frame. Mostly it's people who recently had their windshield replaced but it might be worth checking out since it's so easy. Temporarily run some masking tape around the perimeter of the glass and cover up the gap, then take it for a test drive.

You could probably test the top-to-windshield seal the same way. Put some 2" masking tape over the seam and go for a drive.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Trying attaching a thicker piece of rubber as a shim between the latches and the metal hoops at the front of the freedom top panels/at the top of the windshield, to snug it down a little tighter.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
mattlago
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had this happening from my passenger area. Have noticed that if i loosen and re attach it will make some change in the sound.

Wouldnt bother posting something so simple, but I just noticed a couple of days ago that the passenger door molding was not in its proper place so not making the best seal. As I never sit in there, I never checked. So maybe something to look at.

2012 JKU RUBI PALE TAN
mattlago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

See if you have gear blocking the tail gate vents.

I get a lot more wind noise when those are blocked.
Jiblet is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.