Freedom hardtop protectant - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Freedom hardtop protectant

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
SLIM_SNOOPY

Freedom hardtop protectant

Greetings:

Just wanted to know what product you are using on the Hardtop to keep clean, and from fading out from the sun. Armoral is good, but after it rains the tops looks ****@d up.

Thanks,
SLIM_SNOOPY

SLIM_SNOOPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I just wash mine
Every six months whether it needs it or not!
A coat of wax once a year will keep it nice. I don't think armoral is the thing to use, The top is paint!

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
Grizzly1
2010 JK Wrangler 

soap and water

Now the plastic fenders and bumpers.... they are the PITA

Grizzly
Grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
ribs
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
I just wash mine
Every six months whether it needs it or not!
A coat of wax once a year will keep it nice. I don't think armoral is the thing to use, The top is paint!
Wouldnt wax make the top have a white film over it? As in the wax is super hard to get off the top?

I waxed my Jeep and where I accidentally touched the top with wax I couldn't get the wax off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGrant View Post
...And no the truck dont give BJs but guess you are not married as wifes dont give them either. :rolleyes:
ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Grizzly1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Use turtle wax ice in a spray bottle. No white residue. I also use it after regular waxing to get white residue off.... Mostly on my Harley though. It is always clean....and WAY cleaner than the Jeep. But thats the way its supposed to be right???

I have OCD when it comes to cleaning my Harley, and try to refrain from over washing theJeep...but those damm fenders kill me.... I have to get them clean as the Jeep and the Harley are going in storage for a year while I deploy.....and of course my two "toys" have enclosed climate controled storage units.

The wifes hummer caught some over spray while washing the Jeep/Harley, so I guess I "washed" it as well. For some reason her H3 being dirty really never bothers me...????

Grizzly
Grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

My buddy used "Tire Wet" on his fenders and bumpers . They look like new and shed water like a duck .........
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
kik

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY View Post
Greetings:

Just wanted to know what product you are using on the Hardtop to keep clean, and from fading out from the sun. Armoral is good, but after it rains the tops looks ****@d up.

Thanks,
SLIM_SNOOPY
Don't use armoral on any exterior parts. Use Aerospace 303 Protectant for the top and fenders or Turtle Wax Ice.
kik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
SLIM_SNOOPY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kik View Post
Don't use armoral on any exterior parts. Use Aerospace 303 Protectant for the top and fenders or Turtle Wax Ice.
That was going to be my next choice, thanks
SLIM_SNOOPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #9
ThunderFoot

2007 JK Wrangler 

I wouldn't put Armorall on anything, full stop.
Freedom Top (Black) • Soft Top (Black) • 285/75R17 TOYO Open Country AT • Pro-Comp 3036 17x9 Alloy Wheels • TUFFY Security Drawer • Delta Quad-Bar Xenon Headlights • JK 6-Switch sPOD Source • SuperChips Flashpaq Tune
Diode Dynamics LED License Plate • Cobra 75 WX ST • 4' Wilson Antenna • AIRAID SynthaMax Cool Air Dam Intake System • Hella FF 500 Driving Lights • Hella Black Magic Driving Lights • Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Tailgate Cover
9" Billet Antenna • RR XHD Bumpers Fore & Aft with Storage Ends and Spare Tyre Carrier • XRC8 Winch • 2.5" Pro-Comp Suspension • Bilstein Shocks • RECON LED Smoked Turn Signals & Fender Lens

Colorado Jeep Club Member #1958
NRA Patron Life Member
ThunderFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
ThunderFoot

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
I have to get them clean as the Jeep and the Harley are going in storage for a year while I deploy.....and of course my two "toys" have enclosed climate controled storage units.
All the best on your deployment. Come back safe.
Freedom Top (Black) • Soft Top (Black) • 285/75R17 TOYO Open Country AT • Pro-Comp 3036 17x9 Alloy Wheels • TUFFY Security Drawer • Delta Quad-Bar Xenon Headlights • JK 6-Switch sPOD Source • SuperChips Flashpaq Tune
Diode Dynamics LED License Plate • Cobra 75 WX ST • 4' Wilson Antenna • AIRAID SynthaMax Cool Air Dam Intake System • Hella FF 500 Driving Lights • Hella Black Magic Driving Lights • Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Tailgate Cover
9" Billet Antenna • RR XHD Bumpers Fore & Aft with Storage Ends and Spare Tyre Carrier • XRC8 Winch • 2.5" Pro-Comp Suspension • Bilstein Shocks • RECON LED Smoked Turn Signals & Fender Lens

NRA Patron Life Member
Unread 08-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #11
Biff Malibu

Paint it
Biff Malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #12
Nainduck
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderFoot View Post
I wouldn't put Armorall on anything, full stop.
Why not. I have always used in on the interior of my trucks and never had an issue. rubber / plastic trim as well. Never had an issue but it never seems to last. Just bought a 2010 Rubicon this week and want to make sure I don't start the relationship off on the wrong foot.
Nainduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #13
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Armorall is pretty much junk, it used to be the stuff to use back n the day but there are much better products out now that dont dry up the plastic like armoral.

I use 303 Aerospace protectant on just about everything, will shine like armoral but wont dry the plastics out...
can be used on; rubber, vinyl, fiberglass, tires, plastics, leather, and tonneau covers with SPF of 40 it will protect well in the sun.
It can be found at most auto parts stores and boat supply shops.
I would have to say if its paint then use a spray on wax, if its black there are spray on waxes that make it a black/wet look. Used to love that stuff back when I had my black WRX.

Mothers, is a awesome wax that comes in just about any form....would highly recommend it.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #14
ThunderFoot

2007 JK Wrangler 

Nainduck, Warlord2 has answered the question for me. It used to be that if you sprayed Armorall on your dashboard, in a couple of months in the sun you'd have cracks. It aged tyres faster, too. This is from firsthand experience as well as anecdotal commentary from friends with the same issues.

Now, given all that, maybe modern dashboard material will stand up to the heat and Armorall combination better. I'm not willing to take that risk on my vehicles. Have you any idea what the cost of replacing the dashboard of a BMW 335i would be and the labour costs involved?

NRA Patron Life Member
Unread 08-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #15
Nainduck
2010 JK Wrangler 

Good to know. I never realized that it would do damage like that. Off to the auto parts store in the morning for something new.
Nainduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning , hard top , JK Wrangler , products , protection , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.