Fox reservoirs, or bilstein? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Fox reservoirs, or bilstein?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
blackwidow03
2010 JK Wrangler 

Fox reservoirs, or bilstein?

I decided to remove my spacers. And stick with my zone 4" lift for now. Going to replace the shocks, and I'm looking at bilstein reservoirs, and fox reservoirs. Any one run these, and how did you like them?

blackwidow03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

First question...do you really need reservoirs? They look cool...but 90% of Jeeps don't really need them.

If you are doing high-speed desert pre-running/dune jumping, then yes, go for the reservoirs. If not, just go with what you prefer and save the $$$ for other add-ons.

If you want a smooth, adjustable ride, look at the Rancho 9000's.
The Fox shocks are aluminum with a nice, shiny silver appearance.
The Bilsteins are the most common shocks used.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2014, 12:05 AM   #3
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

I don't own either of those shocks but have been in several jeeps with the teraflex prerunner kit with the Fox shocks and they are nice. When my ranchos bite the dust I will add the Fox shocks and maybe the speed bumps. I see a lot of jeeps with the Fox shocks in my area.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2014, 05:17 AM   #4
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I can't tell the difference in ride between my Fox RS and my buddies Xj with Fox (no RS). we are both running metal cloak springs. My other friend is running bilstein 51s. the only difference in ride between his and my JK is the up travel is smoother and less harsh on the fox shocks. bilsteins are really pressurized. either way you go...they are both great shocks.
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #5
gottav8
2014 JK Wrangler 

Just built a 2014 JKU with AEV 3.5-4" lift w/ 35's . Went with the Bilsteins and could not be happier. Unbelievable ride ( better than stock) Considered the resevoir Fox set up, but my Jeep is not running Off road enough to justify the price. They are nice shocks but I wanted to put that extra $$$ elsewhere on my Jeep .
10570279_676848905737342_2812794654535634184_n-2-.jpg  
gottav8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
Brut4ce
2010 JK Wrangler 

Fox are usually valved a little sifter than bilstein they have a nicer machined body.

Quality: both are top notch I had bilstein on my pre runners and race truck and BMWs built for track....I have fox on the last 3 jeeps and in my dh race bike and plenty of years experience with both....both great shocks can't go wrong with either....

Reservoir shocks will have more travel than non reservoir shocks for the same application, the IFP is In The reservoir instead of the shock body it takes up about an inch of shaft throw if in the body. That's why the reservoir will have more travel.

Oil in shock is what slows the piston for damping the more capacity the less fade you will get so on a longer wash board road the reservoir shock, will stay more true to its behavior.
Shock,s that are nitrogen charged (fox/bilstein) versus an emulsion (most cheap shocks) won't fade the pressure of the nitrogen on the oil allows it a higher strip point or where it turns to foam from cavitation or high speed movement allowing bubbles to form and then the piston passes through those quickly ie fade...
They use nitrogen because the molecules are larger than air so less leakage at the seals over time, it doesnt have moisture in it like air and with larger molecules it doesn't fade like air does when it heats up....

Hope this helps a little....

Both are great can't go wrong with either....

[B][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]BUILT FOR THE ROCKS BUILD[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/built-rocks-2101897/"][B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]CLICK HERE[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Brut4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
blackwidow03
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brut4ce View Post
Fox are usually valved a little sifter than bilstein they have a nicer machined body.

Quality: both are top notch I had bilstein on my pre runners and race truck and BMWs built for track....I have fox on the last 3 jeeps and in my dh race bike and plenty of years experience with both....both great shocks can't go wrong with either....

Reservoir shocks will have more travel than non reservoir shocks for the same application, the IFP is In The reservoir instead of the shock body it takes up about an inch of shaft throw if in the body. That's why the reservoir will have more travel.

Oil in shock is what slows the piston for damping the more capacity the less fade you will get so on a longer wash board road the reservoir shock, will stay more true to its behavior.
Shock,s that are nitrogen charged (fox/bilstein) versus an emulsion (most cheap shocks) won't fade the pressure of the nitrogen on the oil allows it a higher strip point or where it turns to foam from cavitation or high speed movement allowing bubbles to form and then the piston passes through those quickly ie fade...
They use nitrogen because the molecules are larger than air so less leakage at the seals over time, it doesnt have moisture in it like air and with larger molecules it doesn't fade like air does when it heats up....

Hope this helps a little....

Both are great can't go wrong with either....
Thanks everyone for your input. Brut4ce- thanks for breaking it down so I could understand it. Think I'm gonna go with the fox shocks.
Unread 08-16-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
blackwidow03
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottav8 View Post
Just built a 2014 JKU with AEV 3.5-4" lift w/ 35's . Went with the Bilsteins and could not be happier. Unbelievable ride ( better than stock) Considered the resevoir Fox set up, but my Jeep is not running Off road enough to justify the price. They are nice shocks but I wanted to put that extra $$$ elsewhere on my Jeep .
Nice looking jeep man.
Unread 08-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #9
gottav8
2014 JK Wrangler 

gottav8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.