Found a possible workaround for the overflowing gas tank issue. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Found a possible workaround for the overflowing gas tank issue.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 03-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Found a possible workaround for the overflowing gas tank issue.

This last week, I was pumping gas at my usual gas station. I'v always had an overflow when refueling, but this time, I got it to not overflow without stopping the gas before the handle "clicks" off.

My steps:
1) Waited until the gas light came on
2) Filled gas tank to 13 gallons
3) Removed the gas nozzle for a few seconds to let off pressure
4) Resume fueling until 14 gallons
5) Repeat step 3
6) Finish filling at 1/4 flow speed until the handle "clicks" off
7) Enjoy not wiping down the paint and not smelling like gasoline.

Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
chickenhawk7
2007 JK Wrangler 

Or you could just do what I did before I got my tank replaced. I looked at my gas guage. I know how much the tank holds at full. I figured how much I needed to put in based on the gas guage. I slowed down before I got to the amount I was guessing it would hold. As long as you are not filling it fast, it should not overflow.
chickenhawk7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Personally, I'm debating if I should even press the issue to the dealer, even without the workaround. My local dealers don't issue loaners and it is a HUGE pain to find transportation to/from the dealer and school. From what I understand, the problem comes back in 20,000 miles or so anyway.

Maybe is they issue a recall (Already reported the problem to whatever US organization collects safety complaints) then I will go in, but IMHO, it seems like not too big of a deal.
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
chickenhawk7
2007 JK Wrangler 

I wasn't going to have mine fixed, but I decided to do it before my warranty ran out. I do like filling up without having to worry. Funny thing is now when I fill up my wife's Suburban, I am always thinking it is going to overflow like the Jeep.
Unread 03-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhawk7 View Post
Or you could just do what I did before I got my tank replaced. I looked at my gas guage. I know how much the tank holds at full. I figured how much I needed to put in based on the gas guage. I slowed down before I got to the amount I was guessing it would hold. As long as you are not filling it fast, it should not overflow.
+1

Unless its cold outside, in which case I just put in a gallon less than full so that I don't have to stand there freezing while that last gallon slowly goes in.

But those days are over for now- it is now officially topless weather here in Texas

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
chickenhawk7
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wish we were so fortunate to have that weather in Kentucky. We had 1 teaser day last week and it was in the mid 70s. Now it is high 40s-low 50s and windy. Cold!!
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
McC2430
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
But those days are over for now- it is now officially topless weather here in Texas
Yep, Had the doors off and the top down since Sat. until tonight. It's supposed to rain for the nest 2 days and it sucks getting to work wet.

Sucks to live north of the "Manson/Nixon" line. Don't it.
McC2430 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Maybe I'm the only one... but in the past with vehicles, after the nozzle clicks off, I'd keep putting more in to "top it off..." Now with the JK, when it clicks, I stop. Since I've learn't that, I've never had an overfull spill...
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC2430 View Post
Yep, Had the doors off and the top down since Sat. until tonight. It's supposed to rain for the nest 2 days and it sucks getting to work wet.

Yeah- been topless and doorless since Saturday too. Then when I got home from work last night, and the wife breaks the bad new over dinner- 60% chance of rain for Tuesday So after dinner I put it all back together. And it has been raining all day here.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Quote:
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
chickenhawk7
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptide View Post
Maybe I'm the only one... but in the past with vehicles, after the nozzle clicks off, I'd keep putting more in to "top it off..." Now with the JK, when it clicks, I stop. Since I've learn't that, I've never had an overfull spill...
I also used to top it off after it clicked. This issue has nothing to do with topping off. The handle clicks and then you better back up because here comes the gas! Now that my gas tank has been replaced and I don't have to worry about it anymore, I still find myself "not" topping off anymore. It's like I am scared it will come back.
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
chickenhawk7
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC2430 View Post

Sucks now, that is for sure. It is mid 50s today with a little wind. Sun is out so I can't complain, just a little chilly to put the top down.
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #12
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhawk7 View Post
I also used to top it off after it clicked. This issue has nothing to do with topping off. The handle clicks and then you better back up because here comes the gas!
Yeah.

We were going on a wheeling run one day, and we all met up at a gas station. I was filling up when one of my friends pulled up. I clicked the little clamp (so you don't have to hold the handle), and walked over to talk to my friend. Well when I heard the full "click" I started walking over. About one second after the click, the nozzle literally went flying out and landed 3 feet away! Now that was some serious back pressure! I was glad I wasn't standing there when that gas went spewing out like a volcano!

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.