Found out my local dealer's stance on lift kits - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Found out my local dealer's stance on lift kits

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
dave91gt
2009 JK Wrangler 

Found out my local dealer's stance on lift kits

The wife has an 09 Unlimited and hit a deer recently. I had the dealership I bought it from do the work and I picked it up last Friday. Well, I decided to drive on over to the service dept. and ask about their stance on lifting versus my lifetime powertrain warranty. Their stance? Any lift whatsoever will completely void my powertrain warranty. No exceptions. That is unless, I buy the Mopar lift kit. Their price? $2500 and the lift is 2". I laughed and told the guy I could buy the same lift for a few hundred bucks. He said he knew and was sympathetic but the regional Mopar guy put the word out to deny powertrain claims if there is any lift.
Not that it will deter me for too long, but make sure you check with your dealership and see if they are flexible at all. I even tried to tell him it would be re-geared to stock. No dice. I can throw a set of 35's on there (with flare cutting), smoke a tranny, bolt the stock wheels back on and get a replacement. But, I can add a 2" budget boost and some 33's, smoke a tranny, and am denied? Bummer.

dave91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Considering the cost of a tranny or engine, I say lift it and keep the stock equipment. If you have a major, costly problem, remove the lift and swap back on the stock wheels and tires and go to the dealer.
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

find another dealer. They are dead wrong.
BigMikeATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
OneJeepNewb
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeATL View Post
Agree the first thing I did when driving off the lot with my new 2010 JKU i went to service and asked about a lift. Doesn't void the warranty with after market lift is what i was told. Also the "factory" lift (Mopar) was only 1500 from my service department here.

I would look around.
OneJeepNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
bigdobes
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeATL View Post
Yes, they are wrong. I asked both dealers in my area any if it doesn't directly affect the items under warranty then they cannot deny the claim.
bigdobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
GhostKnife

They couldnt deny you your claim, They would HAVE to prove that the lift made your trans, motor, ect... explode. Thats like them telling you, we cant warrentee your motor due to a bad lifter tick, because you put a exhaust on it. If it is not a direct cause to the problem they cant do anything. I work for a dealer and i just talked to the service manageer and got the same responce from him. Find a new dealer.
GhostKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Seems like the common response is find a new dealer, but if the dealer can't specifically deny warranty coverage for a lift wouldn't it be better to hold the dealer accountable and make them fix it?

I suppose the risk is that you piss off the dealer and your Jeep spends more time in the shop then on the trail.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
bigapplephx
2009 JK Wrangler 

My Jeep Dealer in Scottsdale said no warranty issues with a lift up to 3 inches.
bigapplephx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

thats stupid. go to a different dealer
Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #10
Rubikon06
2014 JK Wrangler 

That is definitely messed up. I actually got my lift installed by the dealer when I purchased my Jeep. I have had a few issues relating to my brake lines and the transer case shifter bushing that have been fixed by a different dealer under warranty with no questions asked.
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostKnife View Post
They couldnt deny you your claim, They would HAVE to prove that the lift made your trans, motor, ect... explode.
Yes they could, and no they don't. All they have to do is tell you, "we deny your claim. If you disagree, take it somewhere else, or take us to court."

Sure - you might win in the long run, if you have enough time, money and effort to put into your cause. But until you do, they can deny whatever they want.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
tacjeep99

Dealer here said they would work with the Jeep owner on lifts up to 3 inches, anything over that they would not honor warranty claims specifically related to the lift such as u joints, steering problems etc. However, the tranny goes south, engine throws a rod, gages malfunction, etc. things unrelated to lift, they would still honor the warranty.

In reality, have never had a problem with the local dealer on lift and non-lift related issues. Even after my Jeep was out of warranty, the dealer has treated me very well.

I really think how dealers handle warranty claims is based on perceptions of lifted Jeeps by the guy in the front office. If he is a "car guy" and understands that some vehicle owners will mod their Jeeps he is going to have a pretty liberal view of warranty claims on modified vehicles. If the owner of the dealership just wants to move units out the door and is not a car guy, he may not be as liberal on warranty claims. I am sure he also relies on input from his service advisors and their interpretation of how the warranty applies on modified vehicles.

I would go find another dealership to work on and service my Jeep and build a relationship with the service advisors so they don't just see you as a just a customer, but as somebody that they want to keep happy so you will buy their product again.

Last edited by tacjeep99; 07-12-2010 at 09:55 PM..
tacjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #13
sahara_tj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I got a pinion seal replaced a couple years ago on my '03 under warranty, and they didn't even mention the budget boost and 32's i had on there at the time. it's a Jeep, they should expect that (within reason, of course). I paid my warranty deductible, and i was on my way.

Built Not Bought #435
sahara_tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 12:06 AM   #14
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Glad I got a 07 with no warranty left
It would be worth it to go to a different dealer for that type of work even if its out of town...
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #15
dave91gt
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks fellas. McKBrew- your Jeep is what we are after look-wise. Ours is Jeep Green and we have already peeled the stickers and the trail-rated badge. Originally, the wife wanted a small lift and 33's with black wheels. Then she got really gung ho and wanted 4" lift and 35's. Not sure which direction we'll end up, but the black wheels are a must for her with a mud tire. The dealer really disappointed me. I do not expect to completely destroy the Jeep and expect them to cover it. But, if the motor slings a rod, I expect it should be covered. I have that kind of relationship with the local Ford dealer. I like to mod and within reason, they say nothing. This is a very good forum. I frequent a few select Ford forums due to the members knowledge and willingness to help. I would rate this as good as any of those. Thanks again.
dave91gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealership , JK Wrangler , lift , warranty , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.