FORCED to buy a rear bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > FORCED to buy a rear bumper

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
GauchoMark
2011 JK Wrangler 

FORCED to buy a rear bumper

So, last night on my way home, some woman rammed me. We were going down the road, I was going about 45 mph, and she rams me while we are driving - nascar style. I got out and she says, "Sorry, I can barely see. I just got out of the eye doctor and they dialated my eyes."

I let her know that she probably shouldn't be driving, and to make a long story short, I have a knot on my head where I hit the ceiling and what I thought was pretty minor body damage. I ran the jeep by the body shop this afternoon to get what I thought was going to be a $500 quote and it came back at $2250! They need to replace the rear bumper, tailgate, spare tire, and the spare tire carrier. This... is where my story begins...

I'm thinking that this is the perfect time to get a new rear bumper and tire carrier. I have been eyeing the LOD shorty with lights and the carrier (undecided about integrated carrier or not).

Which others should I look at? I want a short or mid because I plan to do the fenders (prob metal cloak), and I obviously need a spare carrier now.

Suggestions?

GauchoMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

seems like a lot, but lod is a great company, theres loads of companies out there, have a look online i forget most of the names now. btw if you plan to go big, check out the off road evo tire carrier, poison spyder also makes a flip down for the tj and a conversion kit for the jk
Unread 11-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

Replace the spare tire? Come on what the hell was she driving a bus!?

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
GauchoMark
2011 JK Wrangler 

replace the rim, not the tire itself. and the carrier. she was driving a van.
Unread 11-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauchoMark View Post
So, last night on my way home, some woman rammed me. We were going down the road, I was going about 45 mph, and she rams me while we are driving - nascar style. I got out and she says, "Sorry, I can barely see. I just got out of the eye doctor and they dialated my eyes."

I let her know that she probably shouldn't be driving, and to make a long story short, I have a knot on my head where I hit the ceiling and what I thought was pretty minor body damage. I ran the jeep by the body shop this afternoon to get what I thought was going to be a $500 quote and it came back at $2250! They need to replace the rear bumper, tailgate, spare tire, and the spare tire carrier. This... is where my story begins...

I'm thinking that this is the perfect time to get a new rear bumper and tire carrier. I have been eyeing the LOD shorty with lights and the carrier (undecided about integrated carrier or not).

Which others should I look at? I want a short or mid because I plan to do the fenders (prob metal cloak), and I obviously need a spare carrier now.

Suggestions?
Tons of carriers on the markets and tons of options. Personally I went with the new Teraflex tire carrier and I'll be looking into an aftermarket rear bumper..most likely Poison Spyder. Good luck with repair and I hope the lady driving was issued a nice hefty fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
seems like a lot, but lod is a great company, theres loads of companies out there, have a look online i forget most of the names now. btw if you plan to go big, check out the off road evo tire carrier, poison spyder also makes a flip down for the tj and a conversion kit for the jk
And who cares if it's a lot because her insurance will be picking up the bill...

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
GauchoMark
2011 JK Wrangler 

at around $1100 for the bumper and tire carrier, i didnt think it was that bad. poison spyder is another i am looking at and its $1275ish
Unread 12-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
TSOffroad

Quote:
at around $1100 for the bumper and tire carrier, i didnt think it was that bad. poison spyder is another i am looking at and its $1275ish
We can build this one as a short/mid width, save you some cash so you can buy some more "upgrades" Give us a call if we can help !

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/t...0-off-1444776/

TSOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
Flingit1200s
2009 JK Wrangler 

TSOffroad,

Do you have any pics of the carrier without a tire on it? I'd like to see how you are mounting it to the tail gate. Also, is the receiver hitch part of the bumper? Thanks!
"Rusty" is a 2009 JK, "X", 6spd, 2.5" Rock Krawler, Fox shocks, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs, AR Baja 15x8, Tuffy console, PIAA Fogs, 4:56 gears which are too low for this tire size, JCR front bumper, Warn winch.
Flingit1200s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flingit1200s View Post
TSOffroad,

Do you have any pics of the carrier without a tire on it? I'd like to see how you are mounting it to the tail gate. Also, is the receiver hitch part of the bumper? Thanks!

The receiver is not part of the bumper, the picture has the factory receiver. Here is the that bumper without the tire.

Unread 12-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
4x4Cajun
2014 JK Wrangler 

Just installed the PS rock brawler, check my thread...
2014 JKU Rubicon X, Billet Silver, auto trans, leather, tow package, color matched top and fenders, 430N Nav and remote start. Plus all the stuff that comes with the X package Previous: 2011 Unlimited Sahara, Nav Auto, Rusty's 3.25 Lift Kit, Rug Ridge Bumper, 18 x 9" Pro Comp 7031, 35x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers, XRC8 Winch, 4.88s...
4x4Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I really like he LOD stubby with integrated carrier. It's first choice for me, but still a few months away from getting it.

PSC is really nice too.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Suggestions?
....I'm missing the part where you are "FORCED" to buy a new bumper......
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
ncb

It's called sarcasm.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

You can always go with a Teraflex tailgate carrier, then you can choose any bumper you want.
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptide View Post
You can always go with a Teraflex tailgate carrier, then you can choose any bumper you want.
+1 very pleased with my Teraflex carrier and the install was a breeze

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.