Footwell glow lights . - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Footwell glow lights .

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Footwell glow lights .

I thought I would do that LED footwell glow light deal . I went with blue , I find it easier on my eyes at night . The ones I used I picked up at Walmart for $14.99 a set . I used a slightly undersized drill bit and friction fit the LED lights into the holes . I soldered and heatshrunk everything , grounds got dielectric grease . I was going to wire a trigger to the driving lights ........ then to the ignition..... I decided to just use a switch so I could use them whenever I want . They draw 0.04amp/light so even if I left them on it wouldn't matter . I only installed 4 ( one set ) and may put some near the centre arm pad ....... not sure yet if I even like them ...... time will tell . So here it goes .........

In three parts .... for the pics ...

footwell-glow-lights-august-01-2010-007.jpg   footwell-glow-lights-august-01-2010-010.jpg   footwell-glow-lights-august-01-2010-004.jpg   footwell-glow-lights-august-01-2010-005.jpg   footwell-glow-lights-august-01-2010-006.jpg  

07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .

Last edited by fernjack; 08-01-2010 at 10:23 PM..
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Footwell glow lights P-2 .

I put the lights in the pull off panels at the bottom of both sides of the dash ....
footwell-glow-lights-august-01-2010-001.jpg   footwell-glow-lights-august-01-2010-008.jpg   footwell-glow-lights-august-01-2010-011.jpg   footwell-glow-lights-august-01-2010-012.jpg   footwell-glow-lights-august-01-2010-009.jpg  

Rick .
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Footwell glow lights P-3

The lights point straight down ........

I also got rid out the insulation from under my hood ....... hated that stuff !!
footwell-glow-lights-august-01-2010-014.jpg   footwell-glow-lights-august-01-2010-013.jpg   footwell-glow-lights-august-01-2010-003.jpg  
Rick .
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
TheShift
2010 JK Wrangler 

Awesome... i got red led's in the foot wells.. it looks badazz with the doors off...

i actually have not 'completely' wired them in with a switch yet...kinda rigged it up until i have time to do it right.. what i am really wanting to is replace the factory power supply on the dash unit...so i am waiting to hard wire it completely ...with a set of Hella lights

heres to you and your baby blues

lol
TheShift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Looks good, I actually did the same thing.

Could I snatch power from the outlet that's switched? Would it mess up anything?
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShift View Post
Awesome... i got red led's in the foot wells.. it looks badazz with the doors off...

i actually have not 'completely' wired them in with a switch yet...kinda rigged it up until i have time to do it right.. what i am really wanting to is replace the factory power supply on the dash unit...so i am waiting to hard wire it completely ...with a set of Hella lights

heres to you and your baby blues

lol
Thanks Dude !
Rick .
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMack View Post
Looks good, I actually did the same thing.

Could I snatch power from the outlet that's switched? Would it mess up anything?
I don't honestly know , but you sure could use a switched source to trigger a relay . It would be just about bulletproof then , take power from your battery for the relay and use the switched source to tell it to come on ...... no worries ....... and Thanks !
Rick .
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
ls6tt
2010 JK Wrangler 

awesome, can you snap some pictures of them at night? id like to see how well they light up the floor board.
ls6tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls6tt View Post
awesome, can you snap some pictures of them at night? id like to see how well they light up the floor board.
The last couple of pics where at night ..... I'll try again tommorrow with a different setting and see how they come out . I think they are a bit bright ...... only time will tell .
Thanks Dude ! ......
Rick .
Unread 08-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have the same brand and they light up my floor well pretty neat. I'm going to install them in my glove b ox and center console soon, and the rear foot well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernjack View Post
I don't honestly know , but you sure could use a switched source to trigger a relay . It would be just about bulletproof then , take power from your battery for the relay and use the switched source to tell it to come on ...... no worries ....... and Thanks !
I was thinking it would just be like a load being put onto the outlet right? I already have a secondary outlet tied into my always-on plug. I'm going to redo my whole setup soon, I don't like the way I wired part of it.

They are so light in the power they use, I doubt they can cause harm.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #11
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMack View Post
I have the same brand and they light up my floor well pretty neat. I'm going to install them in my glove b ox and center console soon, and the rear foot well.

I was thinking it would just be like a load being put onto the outlet right? I already have a secondary outlet tied into my always-on plug. I'm going to redo my whole setup soon, I don't like the way I wired part of it.

They are so light in the power they use, I doubt they can cause harm.
I like that glove box and console idea ....
Although they only draw 0.004amp/light I don't know how fussy that canbus deal is . My way of thinking is I just avoid it altogether ..... stand alone electrics can only have certain problems . I couldn't even guess what a small current draw noticed by the computer would do .
Hey the rear footwell ... another good spot !
Take pics and share ....... Thanks ThomasMack .......
Rick .
Unread 08-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #12
ls6tt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernjack View Post
The last couple of pics where at night ..... I'll try again tommorrow with a different setting and see how they come out . I think they are a bit bright ...... only time will tell .
Thanks Dude ! ......
leave the door open and take a shot standing back away from the jeep
ls6tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
doliss
2009 JK Wrangler 

I saw some mopar lighting set for the interior before, but I can't find it now on their website. Anyone know the part number for it?
doliss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
jeepcache
2010 JK Wrangler 

you know that insulation on your hood is actually a fire retardant blanket designed to drop on the ehgine in case of a fire right?
jeepcache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
you know that insulation on your hood is actually a fire retardant blanket designed to drop on the ehgine in case of a fire right?
Maybe he relocated it above the transmission.
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.