Fooled by the MPG-ometer - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Fooled by the MPG-ometer

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #31
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm not sure why everybody's is off. When I went to 35s I recalibrated my speedo to be accurate at 70mph. (Oddly that required setting Superchips to 33.75" tires, running 35X12.50 MTRS @ 30psi). Anyways my neck of the woods is flat as a pancake, and while I am not the Stig or a Grandma behind the wheel, my dash reads dead nuts compared to old school measuring.

Unread 12-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #32
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

I filled up a while ago, and the mpg-o-meter was almost right on. Maybe I got a bad batch of gas earlier.
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #33
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

Or you forgot you left it idling because it's colder than normal outside... If I can have pretty consistent highway mileage readings on trips using all sorts of gas in outdoor temperatures from around +90 to -40 (not counting humidex or windchill factors) it's doing a darn good job. Besides, as long as my distance to empty always underestimates range on me provided I keep similar driving pattern as last 100 miles or so, I am happy happy happy.
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #34
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

My 2014 is dead on with my trip to kc.
Unread 01-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #35
tcass
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
Could be temperature changes, cold weather, blended fuel, etc. Accuracy is also highly dependent on the driver's driving habits.
nope, they just aren't accurate. had 4 jeeps with them in them 2 x liberties and 2 x wranglers the only time they come close is if you drive 50-60 all the time. I compute mileage the old fashioned way, paper and pencil.
tcass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #36
trailless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-On View Post
I fully understand that but the calculations are affected by when I press the reset button. I have to be on relatively flat ground and accelerating at an average speed for it to be relatively correct. If I decide to hit the reset button and let off the gas for just 5 seconds to hit it the average will read high even if my trip is hundreds of miles. It seems to be worse if I hit the accelerator. If I am accelerating when I hit it (even for a few seconds) the average will read about 2-3 MPG lower than the actual usage even if I'm driving hundreds of miles. There's something up with the initial calculation process when you hit the reset button on my JKU .
I'm going to take a stab at this.

You're hitting the "reset" button. That'll reset your MPG to " -- " meaning nothing. It neither represents 0 nor does it represent infinity. So when you hit reset while barley pressing the gas pedal going downhill it'll show a high number. From the moment you hit reset to the moment you look at it, the number that shows is the Jeeps calculated average MPG for that time frame. You are probably achieving 40-60 MPG while going downhill. The same principle applies while accelerating uphill. You are actually achieving around 2-6 MPG.

If you let go of the gas pedal the MPG the computer plugs into the equation is --. So the computer is calculating -- for the distance you have your foot off the gas pedal. In theory you are achieving infinite miles per gallon while you are coasting in gear.

The calculation is a bit different while you coast in neutral. But I don't have specific figures of how much gas the engine uses to keep itself idling.
trailless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #37
zpayne08
2013 JK Wrangler 

mine does the complete opposite. my 2013 with 33s says i get less than what im actually getting. told me i was gettin 16 but when i actually figured it up it was 17.3mpg
zpayne08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #38
number40Fan
2014 JK Wrangler 

Hand calculated this morning @20.1 mpg. Lie-o-meter told me 20.3.
number40Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #39
zpayne08
2013 JK Wrangler 

You must be stock with the 225 tires lol
zpayne08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.