Fooled by the MPG-ometer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Fooled by the MPG-ometer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 12-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Fooled by the MPG-ometer

WTH, the first couple of tanks full, it was really close. This last tank, it said 18.4, and was really 16.8.

Not really that big of a deal, but if they went to the trouble of putting it in, and I paid for it, I want it to be more accurate than that.

Winter blend gas, perhaps?
Is this one of the things that can be re calibrated with a tuner?

Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
4x4jkx
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mine has never been dead on accurate. Without knowing how Chrysler computes mpg on their vehicles I can't say as to why. General guess would be compounding errors in sensor readings.

I'm typically of by anywhere from .5 to 1.5 mpg
4x4jkx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

More stop and go? More hills?
Unread 12-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
WTH, the first couple of tanks full, it was really close. This last tank, it said 18.4, and was really 16.8.

Not really that big of a deal, but if they went to the trouble of putting it in, and I paid for it, I want it to be more accurate than that.

Winter blend gas, perhaps?
Is this one of the things that can be re calibrated with a tuner?
My 08 has never worked right either. Always been .5-1.0 off. Just a retarded set up IMHO

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Chrysler's MPG calculator just sucks. If I reset it while accelerating or going up hill it reports a low number till I reset it again. If I reset it while going downhill or coasting it will give me a high number till I reset it. And some times it acts just whacky.
Dead-On is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
My 08 has never worked right either. Always been .5-1.0 off. Just a retarded set up IMHO
That's about how much mine has been off, too.

On systems that can be tweaked, it takes a while to get it to be accurate.
The JK system can't be tweaked. I suppose one could play with the tire diameter, but then the speedometer/odometer would suffer.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

I reset mine almost every day and it stays close, but I don't really care what is says I am going to drive my Jeep regardless..
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...tures-1509366/
HAFICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-On View Post
Chrysler's MPG calculator just sucks. If I reset it while accelerating or going up hill it reports a low number till I reset it again. If I reset it while going downhill or coasting it will give me a high number till I reset it. And some times it acts just whacky.
Um, what's it supposed to do? You're taking an average of fuel consumed over distance traveled. If you're going down hill, you'll cover more distance while using less fuel. Of course it'll report a high MPG...
Tragyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragyn View Post
Um, what's it supposed to do? You're taking an average of fuel consumed over distance traveled. If you're going down hill, you'll cover more distance while using less fuel. Of course it'll report a high MPG...
I fully understand that but the calculations are affected by when I press the reset button. I have to be on relatively flat ground and accelerating at an average speed for it to be relatively correct. If I decide to hit the reset button and let off the gas for just 5 seconds to hit it the average will read high even if my trip is hundreds of miles. It seems to be worse if I hit the accelerator. If I am accelerating when I hit it (even for a few seconds) the average will read about 2-3 MPG lower than the actual usage even if I'm driving hundreds of miles. There's something up with the initial calculation process when you hit the reset button on my JKU .
Dead-On is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-On View Post
I fully understand that but the calculations are affected by when I press the reset button. I have to be on relatively flat ground and accelerating at an average speed for it to be relatively correct. If I decide to hit the reset button and let off the gas for just 5 seconds to hit it the average will read high even if my trip is hundreds of miles. It seems to be worse if I hit the accelerator. If I am accelerating when I hit it (even for a few seconds) the average will read about 2-3 MPG lower than the actual usage even if I'm driving hundreds of miles. There's something up with the initial calculation process when you hit the reset button on my JKU .
Ah, maybe you're right. I never paid particular attention. Usually I'll wait until I'm at cruising speed before resetting.
Tragyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The documentation specifies that the system records a value averaged over the past 500 miles if you don't reset it. If I reset mine at every fill up it seems to be pretty accurate. In order for it to be accurate the speedo/odometer must be accurate as well.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Mine is always within .2. I will fill the tank and reset the meter...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #13
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Could be temperature changes, cold weather, blended fuel, etc. Accuracy is also highly dependent on the driver's driving habits.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #14
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
Could be temperature changes, cold weather, blended fuel, etc. Accuracy is also highly dependent on the driver's driving habits.
Another thing that affects the accuracy is the fact that it doesn't directly measure fuel flow.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #15
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, I can sit outside the store idling (OMG! ) while waiting for the woman and watch the MPG go down... down... down...
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.