Fold up doors? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Fold up doors?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-27-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
mopar01
2009 JK Wrangler 

Fold up doors?

Curious if anyone makes fold up soft doors? Something you can take off, fold up and put behind the seat. If there isnt someone should make them... after all in a 2 door its all about the space and in Maine it can rain any minute...

Unread 04-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I know some guys with the Best Top fabric doors. Not necessarily fold up, but easy enough to stow somewhere.

Bestop® Soft Doors - Quadratec
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm one of the guys McKBrew knows who owns them.

I can tell you I LOVE these doors! They do their job keeping the elements out or even warm on cold mornings. And when you want to go half doors or no doors at all, simply toss them in the back. In my 2-Dr the uppers fit in the back behind the seats even with the soft top folded down(they get pushed against the back seat by the soft top when it's folded down). And then I am in half doors, then I throw the bottom halves into the backseats, and finally the door surrounds in the trunk area too. And I'm totally doorless.

These doors give the ultimate freedom in my opinion: top up with doors, topless with half doors, topless and no doors, or even top up with no doors. And you have everything with you should the weather change. I mean you can do anything.

Routinely on trails I will go doorless, come up to mud or a water crossing and throw on the lower halves in less than 15 seconds, go through the water or mud, then toss the lower halves in the back again to continue the trail doorless.

They are a great door. The only warning I'll say, is they were a pain in the *** to bend just right initially. However, once you get them set up right, they're good to go.

And for mirrors? I use Rugged Ridge Mirror Relocators, awesome. I added a "blind spot stickey mirror" to the top right corner of the passenger side mirror housing to help see better with the mirrors relocated, a good tip for the mirrors.

This summer is the third summer I've been using these doors for and I LOVE THEM! All summer long I run soft doors and then I switch back to my factory hard doors during the winter.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

-topless with half doors, the uppers and door surrounds are in the back.
"The Smurf": --Pic 1-- --Pic 2-- --Pic 3-- --Pic 4--
Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--

Last edited by BrettDez; 04-27-2010 at 05:21 PM..
BrettDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDez View Post
I'm one of the guys McKBrew knows who owns them.
Honestly I think you are the ONLY person I know with them, but I was just trying to make myself sound more important. Seriously though, I've seen Brett put these on and take them off pretty easily and I figured it might be the solution the OP was looking for.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
SlvrJK08
2008 JK Wrangler 

I also have the bestop soft doors. They get the job done but the fitment isn't the best IMO. There's a decent gap at the lower front portion of the door and the upper portions don't fit great. The uppers pull out at the top of the door over 1" at highway speeds and make a ton of noise. Maybe i just need to mess with them some more to get them to seal better at 75 mph. That being said i love the versatility of them, they are very light weight and easy to stow away. They also door a pretty good job at keeping the elements out. I only run them during the summer and when i'm wheeling. BrettDez, what steps did you take to get the uppers to seal against the top better? I could definitely use some pointers...
Unread 04-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

SlvrJK08,

I see you have a problem with the uppers bending away. I have had that issue pop up once or twice in the past 2.5 years. I always solved it quite easily with a quick "bend" or "pull" on the offending door.

I wish I had a video or something, but I grasp the top of the door(while on the hinges and in a full door setup) and I pull down and towards the inside of the door. With enough of a force to cause the door to bend a little bit, but not a huge amount of force(don't go crazy). The results of this cause the top half of the door to be more inclined against the vehicle, and when pulled shut hold at highway speeds with no bending out.

I hope my explanation was clear enough! If not, let me know and I'll try to explain better. I have had to do this twice. Both times this action fixed the problem.

EDIT: Oh and I almost forgot, make sure the spacer things for your upper halves are set right so the upper halves are lined up correctly before doing the above, I'm sure you've already done that though.
Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--
Unread 04-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
SlvrJK08
2008 JK Wrangler 

That makes perfect sense, thanks!

To the OP, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I hope you also find this information useful if you decide to purchase these doors as well.
Unread 04-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrJK08 View Post
That makes perfect sense, thanks!

To the OP, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I hope you also find this information useful if you decide to purchase these doors as well.
You'll have to let me know if it works for you!!

Just glad I can help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.