Fog Light Wiring in Rear Bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Fog Light Wiring in Rear Bumper

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
screameans73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Fog Light Wiring in Rear Bumper

Hey guys.

I'm kicking around options for lights to put in a newly acquired Ace Rear Bumper (thanks Jason!). So far I'm considering an OEM style replacement set like these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-07-MAGNUM...ht_2955wt_1216

With these weather pack connectors tapped into the reverse light circuit of my trailer hitch harness.

http://www.repairconnector.com/produ...onnector-.html

Would I need a relay for this set up, or just tap, solder, and shrink?

screameans73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
68cupe
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've had mine tapped in with a relay for two years and no issues.
68cupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

I built a separate harness and relay for mine, no problems at all with a separate harness...been almost three years now. Here's my project http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...stall-1084677/
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
screameans73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68cupe View Post
I've had mine tapped in with a relay for two years and no issues.
Did you have to run a separate power line to the battery for the relay or is there a constant "on" power supply in the reverse or trailer harness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
I built a separate harness and relay for mine, no problems at all with a separate harness...been almost three years now. Here's my project http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...stall-1084677/
That looks really good! I'll have a factory bumper for sale soon if you want to branch out and make some $$ building one and selling it LOL

***EDIT***

Disregard that question, I found a site that explained the ways and wonders of relays and see what I need to do. Thank you both for your input.
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by screameans73 View Post
Did you have to run a separate power line to the battery for the relay or is there a constant "on" power supply in the reverse or trailer harness?

That looks really good! I'll have a factory bumper for sale soon if you want to branch out and make some $$ building one and selling it LOL

***EDIT***

Disregard that question, I found a site that explained the ways and wonders of relays and see what I need to do. Thank you both for your input.
I don't need the rear bumper, but I DO need an OEM spare tire carrier.....I've always had the stock rubi 32" BFG KM's on mine, but my spare carrier is cracking....
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
screameans73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj

I don't need the rear bumper, but I DO need an OEM spare tire carrier.....I've always had the stock rubi 32" BFG KM's on mine, but my spare carrier is cracking....
I can definitely help you out with that. I'm waiting for some fog lights to be delivered so I can start the swap. I will let you know as soon as the OEM carrier is off my gate.
Unread 04-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I can definitely help you out with that. I'm waiting for some fog lights to be delivered so I can start the swap. I will let you know as soon as the OEM carrier is off my gate.
Sounds good.......
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
screameans73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Alrighty then, the factory carrier, bumper, and hitch have been pulled from my JK. Can anyone let me know if there is a loom I can follow to a contstant power supply for relays, maybe from the tail lights or trailer harness? I would prefer to get it inside without creating any more holes than necessary, or is my only option route it under the body and then up the fire wall to the battery?
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Alrighty then, the factory carrier, bumper, and hitch have been pulled from my JK. Can anyone let me know if there is a loom I can follow to a contstant power supply for relays, maybe from the tail lights or trailer harness? I would prefer to get it inside without creating any more holes than necessary, or is my only option route it under the body and then up the fire wall to the battery?
I ran my wiring back to the battery, my only tap in was for the trailer lights, but that was a plug and play harness....

I ran 10 gauge back to the battery, did a ground at the rear and plunked my relay beside the battery....my theory is to keep all the relays under the hood and away from the road spray.

Tapping into any existing harness is not a good idea for a JK....
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
screameans73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
I ran my wiring back to the battery, my only tap in was for the trailer lights, but that was a plug and play harness....

I ran 10 gauge back to the battery, did a ground at the rear and plunked my relay beside the battery....my theory is to keep all the relays under the hood and away from the road spray.

Tapping into any existing harness is not a good idea for a JK....
So you ran 10 gauge back to battery, installed relay there, grounded at the frame by bumper, correct? You used a plug to tap into your trailer harness, but wouldn't you also have to run that back to the relay and then again from the relay to your lights?
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So you ran 10 gauge back to battery, installed relay there, grounded at the frame by bumper, correct? You used a plug to tap into your trailer harness, but wouldn't you also have to run that back to the relay and then again from the relay to your lights?
I installed a Mopar plug and play trailer harness behind the drivers side tail light, it had nothing to do with my rear lighting, it's just the only tap in that I've made.
My rear lighting is fired from the battery, I like being able to flip a switch and have lights, when ever, sometimes to flash the car behind me that's running high beams...know what I mean?
Yes, I grounded the lights at the rear, no point in running a good ground any further. I ran the positive through the frame in logical spots and stuffed the rest under the hood. I've got two other custom harnesses, one for my headlights and another real cool one that rallylights.com made for me...I built some custom aux. lights from Hella headlights and have high/low beam aux. lights....instant daylight when I flip both switches.... Of course I don't do that on the road..........
What is it that you are trying to do....exactly? Once you establish your wiring harness, lights are easy...heck, Hella 500's are cheap and you can swap out lenses to change the pattern...just depends on what lights you want.....
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #12
screameans73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj

I installed a Mopar plug and play trailer harness behind the drivers side tail light, it had nothing to do with my rear lighting, it's just the only tap in that I've made.
My rear lighting is fired from the battery, I like being able to flip a switch and have lights, when ever, sometimes to flash the car behind me that's running high beams...know what I mean?
Yes, I grounded the lights at the rear, no point in running a good ground any further. I ran the positive through the frame in logical spots and stuffed the rest under the hood. I've got two other custom harnesses, one for my headlights and another real cool one that rallylights.com made for me...I built some custom aux. lights from Hella headlights and have high/low beam aux. lights....instant daylight when I flip both switches.... Of course I don't do that on the road..........
What is it that you are trying to do....exactly? Once you establish your wiring harness, lights are easy...heck, Hella 500's are cheap and you can swap out lenses to change the pattern...just depends on what lights you want.....
That makes sense now, my problem was that I was trying to figure all this out in my head and couldn't wrap my brain around it. Once I broke out the crayons and drew it up it seems pretty easy.

I'm putting lights in an Ace rear bumper that has cutout and brackets to fit stock JK fog lights. Since I'm no good at fabricating I bought a set of knock offs from eBay that way they bolt right in and I don't have to make a bracket or mod them. They came with a harness, relay, and switch so I'm leaning more toward using the switch now since I can gain some other uses.
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
That makes sense now, my problem was that I was trying to figure all this out in my head and couldn't wrap my brain around it. Once I broke out the crayons and drew it up it seems pretty easy.

I'm putting lights in an Ace rear bumper that has cutout and brackets to fit stock JK fog lights. Since I'm no good at fabricating I bought a set of knock offs from eBay that way they bolt right in and I don't have to make a bracket or mod them. They came with a harness, relay, and switch so I'm leaning more toward using the switch now since I can gain some other uses.
Sounds good! I think you'll be glad that you added the switch, I use mine a lot...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.