Fluid Change and Tire Rotation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Fluid Change and Tire Rotation

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
screameans73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Fluid Change and Tire Rotation

Hey all, two hopefully quick questions. MY JKUR has 63K miles on it and it's due for an oil change. Since it's been wheeling a few times in up to two feet of water I'm also considering diff fluid changes as well. Oh, and transfer case too. How difficult is this?

I'm considering switching from traditional 5W30 to synthetic, but my buddy tells me to stick with traditional as changing over has been thought to cause leaks and stuff. Thoughts?

Second, I need to rotate my tires as well and found a thread about the 5 tire rearward cross rotation. During casual conversation recently I talked about this and the people in the room looked at me like I had two heads and said tires were directional and would blow up. I disagree, especially since I see this method on the internet, and we all know you can't post anything that isn't true on the internet

screameans73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
MKWrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I can say one thing about the 5 tire rotation. If you haven't done it from the first rotation, don't do it. The spare will have much more tread than the other 4 tires and can cause your Jeep to pull to one side while driving. Tires should be rotated every 6000 miles.
MKWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
screameans73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWrangler View Post
I can say one thing about the 5 tire rotation. If you haven't done it from the first rotation, don't do it. The spare will have much more tread than the other 4 tires and can cause your Jeep to pull to one side while driving. Tires should be rotated every 6000 miles.
I've had them rotated at the dealer but they haven't incorporated the spare. Luckily though the previous owner had it in a wheel position at some point. I know this because it's plugged from a flat repair. The tread seems nearly equal to some of the tires in use.
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

The owners manual shows you exactly how to rotate the jeep jK tires. I'm not sure why a fellow would waste time and money having the dealership rotate your tires. "Ain't nobody got time fur that!"

What a lot of fellows do: Every 5k miles-
Rotate all 5 tires
Change Oil (i use mobile 1 full synth - 5w-30)
Change Oil filter
Retorque all suspension bolts (don't want DW!!!)

Change diff lube every other oil change (this, is every 10k miles for story problem impaired).
Why? It's what I do. It's true, some guys never ever change diff lube. That's their deal.

Happy jeepin begins with me!
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
screameans73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonVette View Post
The owners manual shows you exactly how to rotate the jeep jK tires. I'm not sure why a fellow would waste time and money having the dealership rotate your tires. "Ain't nobody got time fur that!"
Umm, I had a coupon?

Quote:
What a lot of fellows do: Every 5k miles-
Rotate all 5 tires
Change Oil (i use mobile 1 full synth - 5w-30)
Change Oil filter
Retorque all suspension bolts (don't want DW!!!)
I planned to retorque suspension bolts/nuts as well, I'll need to find that list from the DW FAQ (yes, I do read that stuff)!

Quote:
Change diff lube every other oil change (this, is every 10k miles for story problem impaired).
Why? It's what I do. It's true, some guys never ever change diff lube. That's their deal.

Happy jeepin begins with me!
Story problems I'm good Geometric proofs, Jeep lifts, and tire calcualtion, not so much

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.