Fluid Change and Tire Rotation - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-11-2013, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
screameans73
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 142
Fluid Change and Tire Rotation

Hey all, two hopefully quick questions. MY JKUR has 63K miles on it and it's due for an oil change. Since it's been wheeling a few times in up to two feet of water I'm also considering diff fluid changes as well. Oh, and transfer case too. How difficult is this?

I'm considering switching from traditional 5W30 to synthetic, but my buddy tells me to stick with traditional as changing over has been thought to cause leaks and stuff. Thoughts?

Second, I need to rotate my tires as well and found a thread about the 5 tire rearward cross rotation. During casual conversation recently I talked about this and the people in the room looked at me like I had two heads and said tires were directional and would blow up. I disagree, especially since I see this method on the internet, and we all know you can't post anything that isn't true on the internet

screameans73 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 03-11-2013, 12:15 PM
MKWrangler
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 303
I can say one thing about the 5 tire rotation. If you haven't done it from the first rotation, don't do it. The spare will have much more tread than the other 4 tires and can cause your Jeep to pull to one side while driving. Tires should be rotated every 6000 miles.
MKWrangler is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 03-11-2013, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
screameans73
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWrangler View Post
I can say one thing about the 5 tire rotation. If you haven't done it from the first rotation, don't do it. The spare will have much more tread than the other 4 tires and can cause your Jeep to pull to one side while driving. Tires should be rotated every 6000 miles.
I've had them rotated at the dealer but they haven't incorporated the spare. Luckily though the previous owner had it in a wheel position at some point. I know this because it's plugged from a flat repair. The tread seems nearly equal to some of the tires in use.
screameans73 is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 03-11-2013, 12:27 PM
OregonVette
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,455
The owners manual shows you exactly how to rotate the jeep jK tires. I'm not sure why a fellow would waste time and money having the dealership rotate your tires. "Ain't nobody got time fur that!"

What a lot of fellows do: Every 5k miles-
Rotate all 5 tires
Change Oil (i use mobile 1 full synth - 5w-30)
Change Oil filter
Retorque all suspension bolts (don't want DW!!!)

Change diff lube every other oil change (this, is every 10k miles for story problem impaired).
Why? It's what I do. It's true, some guys never ever change diff lube. That's their deal.

Happy jeepin begins with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcutter View Post
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 03-11-2013, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
screameans73
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonVette View Post
The owners manual shows you exactly how to rotate the jeep jK tires. I'm not sure why a fellow would waste time and money having the dealership rotate your tires. "Ain't nobody got time fur that!"
Umm, I had a coupon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonVette View Post
What a lot of fellows do: Every 5k miles-
Rotate all 5 tires
Change Oil (i use mobile 1 full synth - 5w-30)
Change Oil filter
Retorque all suspension bolts (don't want DW!!!)
I planned to retorque suspension bolts/nuts as well, I'll need to find that list from the DW FAQ (yes, I do read that stuff)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonVette View Post
Change diff lube every other oil change (this, is every 10k miles for story problem impaired).
Why? It's what I do. It's true, some guys never ever change diff lube. That's their deal.

Happy jeepin begins with me!
Story problems I'm good Geometric proofs, Jeep lifts, and tire calcualtion, not so much
screameans73 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome