Flat Towing a CJ-7 with my '12 JKUR? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Flat Towing a CJ-7 with my '12 JKUR?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #16
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayder1 View Post
There is none such a thing as a "Top Cop" unless he or she is the Chief of Police, then it may be okay to say that.
LOL we SOOOOO agree on that. I MEANT top cop exactly as you just defined.

Unread 06-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #17
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbundy13 View Post
um... so, now my question is do yall think a JKUR would be able to handle a 16ft flatbed trailer? I dont have a trailer brake hook up in my JK...

I am more concerned with safety than the letter of the law... I dont expect to get ticketed either way... just want to do damage to either vehicle..

so, what do yall think? safe/smart or unsafe/dumb to flat-tow my CJ 550 miles behing by JKUR?

thanks for the plethora of info on GVWR and all that other stuff..
I would have no issues flat towing a Texas tagged CJ behind a Texas tagged JKUR - even without brakes. Just (so that you don't get surprised and thus emotionally confrontational if pulled over) keep in mind... there may be cause for roadway discussion.

lol

Make sure all your lights work etc so there is NO OTHER REASON to pull you over and you'll be okay. I would hesitate to pull it on a 16 footer - thats three times longer than the JK. Jus kidding but close - my reasoning there is that flat towing is very little tongue weight (just the weight of the bar set) while a trailer has to have at least 10% of the trailers weight on the tongue to handle well.
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #18
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
I would have no issues flat towing a CJ behind a JKUR. Just (so that you don't get surprised and thus emotionally confrontational if pulled over) keep in mind....

lol

Make sure all your lights work etc so there is NO OTHER REASON to pull you over and you'll be okay. I would hesitate to pull it on a 16 footer - thats three times longer than the JK (jus kidding but close). But my reasoning there is that flat towing is very little tongue weight (just the weight of the bar set) while a trailer has to have at least 10% of the trailers weight on the tongue to handle well.

thanks for the info

ok, well if I flat-tow it, I will get a set of the magnetic lights for tail lights.. since the CJ isnt wired to do the trailer light action.
smbundy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #19
rayder1

Yep. You "should" have a breakaway brake set up if the dinghy detatched from hitch it stops itself. That's minimum

A 16 foot flatbed will raise the weight quite a bit and may have hookups you don't have.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
if the dinghy detatched from hitch it stops itself.
Doesn't that happen automatically when the tow bar becomes a vault pole?

Unread 06-29-2013, 01:40 AM   #21
rayder1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop
Doesn't that happen automatically when the tow bar becomes a vault pole?

LOL.....yes. But the guy with the ticket book likes to see the little chain or wire for the disconnect brake.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #22
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
LOL.....yes. But the guy with the ticket book likes to see the little chain or wire for the disconnect brake.
And here in Tx that guy also likes to see the safety chains crossed. Most WILL pull over if they see em parallel - but usually just to politely warn.
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #23
Graves
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in the process of flat towing my yj with my jku from NC to FL- ~900 miles. I've passed/been passed by quite a few police officers without a second glance. Use magnetic trailer lights, keep it 5 below, leave plenty of space, and don't do anything stupid.
2-jeep.jpg  
Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #24
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I would have no issues flat towing a Texas tagged CJ behind a Texas tagged JKUR - even without brakes. Just (so that you don't get surprised and thus emotionally confrontational if pulled over) keep in mind... there may be cause for roadway discussion.

lol

Make sure all your lights work etc so there is NO OTHER REASON to pull you over and you'll be okay. I would hesitate to pull it on a 16 footer - thats three times longer than the JK. Jus kidding but close - my reasoning there is that flat towing is very little tongue weight (just the weight of the bar set) while a trailer has to have at least 10% of the trailers weight on the tongue to handle well.
ok, I am going to be flat-towing the Jeep from TX to AL. my JK is tagged in alabama so it will be a TX tagged CJ behind an AL tagged JK... I dont think that will be an issue... just need to show the title etc.. but, my plan is to cruise at 65...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves View Post
I'm in the process of flat towing my yj with my jku from NC to FL- ~900 miles. I've passed/been passed by quite a few police officers without a second glance. Use magnetic trailer lights, keep it 5 below, leave plenty of space, and don't do anything stupid.
how did the trip go? did you remove the driveshafts in the YJ? any advice?

thanks.
Unread 12-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #25
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
ok, I am going to be flat-towing the Jeep from TX to AL. my JK is tagged in alabama so it will be a TX tagged CJ behind an AL tagged JK... I dont think that will be an issue... just need to show the title etc.. but, my plan is to cruise at 65...
As long as you have the basics - (LIGHTS and safty chains) probably no problem. As good friend (hiway patrolman) gave me some of HIS insight when I brought up this discussion - a motor home dingy towing a Jeep - he tends to believe they do it all the time - enough that he makes sure they have brakes, breakaway, chains lights etc up to code. Usually just warning unless its a gross violation.

When he sees a truck or etc flat towing he sees the likelihood that its a one time thing so as long as it has the basics (lights and chains) and appears safe enough to get him down the road he doesn't give it a second thought...
Unread 12-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #26
Graves
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

how did the trip go? did you remove the driveshafts in the YJ? any advice?

thanks.
Trip went fine. Stay on the interstate and avoid curvy roads. Plan your fuel stops b/c you're more likely to get in trouble making tight turns and you can't reverse. Like I said earlier, had many LEO's pass without giving a second look. As for the YJ, I didn't remove anything. Just followed the manuals instructions for flat towing. Transmission in gear and transfer case neutral. Key in the position to unlock the steering wheel but keeping electrics off.

Oh! And ignore the annoyed looks by people in a hurry. Your safety is more important than their time.
driveway.jpg  
Unread 12-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #27
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves View Post
Trip went fine. Stay on the interstate and avoid curvy roads. Plan your fuel stops b/c you're more likely to get in trouble making tight turns and you can't reverse. Like I said earlier, had many LEO's pass without giving a second look. As for the YJ, I didn't remove anything. Just followed the manuals instructions for flat towing. Transmission in gear and transfer case neutral. Key in the position to unlock the steering wheel but keeping electrics off.

Oh! And ignore the annoyed looks by people in a hurry. Your safety is more important than their time.
awesome! thanks for the info.. yeah my trip is about 550 miles total.. about 500 of that is on I-20.. so that biggest thing will be fuel stops and getting to and from the interstate...

thanks again for the info.
Unread 12-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #28
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
As long as you have the basics - (LIGHTS and safty chains) probably no problem. As good friend (hiway patrolman) gave me some of HIS insight when I brought up this discussion - a motor home dingy towing a Jeep - he tends to believe they do it all the time - enough that he makes sure they have brakes, breakaway, chains lights etc up to code. Usually just warning unless its a gross violation.

When he sees a truck or etc flat towing he sees the likelihood that its a one time thing so as long as it has the basics (lights and chains) and appears safe enough to get him down the road he doesn't give it a second thought...
thanks for the info...
Unread 12-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #29
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Just do it. Yolo

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #30
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well I am going to have to put my CJ on a trailer back to bama. The tires are about 15 years old and I am pretty sure they would self destruct at highway speeds. I will post some pictures of my jeep later on.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.